Art Of shaving

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Hightime0

Art Of shaving

Post by Hightime0 »

I live near Cleveland Ohio, and found out that we have an art of shaving store near by, and I was wondering if any one has used the product, and what you thought of it. also right across the hall is a crab-tree and Evelyn what product would you try. right now I'm only using proraso
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

Art of Shaving is a fine manufacturer of quality items. Which ones are of interest to you?
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

You're going to have fun trying out alternatives to shaving with Italian toothpaste!
At the C&E I would pick up either the sandalwood shaving soap or the sandalwood cream. The AOS shop will be expensive, and their creams are good, but not really worth the price. The shaving soap is my personal favourite, especially the lavender.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Hightime0

Post by Hightime0 »

I've always like the smell of sandalwood cream not sure about the rest of the stuff
drumana

Post by drumana »

You really can't go wrong. They both make good products. Be prepared to be bombarded by a salesperson that may or may not know what they are talking about in the AOS store. Get in there, get the cream, and get out :lol:

C&E Sienna, Nomad, or Sandalwood = great scents with a quality cream.
-Andrew-
CK

Post by CK »

I like the nomad scent the best.
Charlie
hyperwarp

Post by hyperwarp »

Go into the AOS & C&E. Ask for samples of some shaving products.

After all why drop $30 or so on a "skin" product you haven't "tested" & which may irritate your skin or cause an allergic reaction?

99% chance that you will be treated courteously & respectfully at C&E. The lovely lass who works there may or may not be knowledgable about the Men's Shave products but she'll happily give you a nice size sample of Cream & A/S.

OTOH, 99% chance that at AOS you won't get any samples. Once it's estabhlished that you're not going to buy a product right then & there, you will probably get a nice taste of boorish churliness from a middle aged, snooty, (shall we say "metro") sales clerk who can't wait to see your back leaving his store.

After you've gotten the sample treatment you'll know where you want to
shop.

LOL, I may be wrong on my percentages, but I've had experience in this regard.

BTW - AOS won't give you samples of AOS products, but Bloomingdale's
or Saks will give you samples of AOS products. Go figger ???? :roll:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hightime,

In Boston we have an Art of Shaving and a C&E right across the hall from each other. If you are on a budget, try the C&E Sandalwood soap. It a great triple milled soap at a reasonable price. Nice scent too!

If you are not on a budget, you must try the Art of Shaving Sandalwood shave cream. The scent is fantastic and the lather is great!

At C&E the soaps are a better value. I buy the refill only and put it in a mug. At Art of Shaving, I find that the cream is a better value.

Steve
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, I would strongly second the suggestion that you pay no attention whatsoever to anything the clerk at the AOS store may tell you. It's been my experiance, over the years, that without exception, they have been grossly ignorant regarding traditional shaving......so, just ignore them if they starting yakking. Their shaving cream is good, although not excellent, IMO. Their hard shave soap IS excellent, but excessively expensive. The C&E hard soap, while not as quite as good, is more reasonably priced, and is still a decent shave soap. Their creams are likewise decent, although not exceptional. Definately samples wherever you can get them.....be pushy, insist.
Regards,
Gordon
Hodari D.

Post by Hodari D. »

AOS creams are definately overpriced, but I found myself in a Nordstrom one night with my girlfriend bored out of my mind so I ventured to try the unscented hypoallergenic shaving cream because my skin is so sensitive. I must say that it is a very good shaving cream, but certainly not worth the price. It does not come even close to the less expensive Taylor of Old Bond Street avocado (if you have sensitive skin as I do and enjoy a nourishing cream). I do, however, enjoy the occassional shave with the AOS as it is a pleasent non-scent and really cushions my face nicely. My advise: don't waste the money on AOS creams, you can certainly find better value elsewhere. But, if you're just looking to try something new, it is a very decent product and gives a nice shave.

Scott
Best,
Scott
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Hey Hightime, it just so happens that I also live near Cleveland, and have made the trip to Beachwood Mall, which happens to have an AOS and C&E.

I originally went to pick up a C&E best badger brush, as it's obtained somewhat of a legendary status as a good all around, inexpensive brush. They were very good about giving me samples, especially when they knew I was serious about spending some money.

I can pretty much vouch for what the others have said about AOS sales personel. While they seem nice enough, they are a bit pushy, and the product is a bit expensive. But, I did purchase some of their shaving cream, oil and after shave balm. When it looked like I was going to leave without purchasing anything, I was given a small sample package containing their cream, oil, and balm. They don't freely offer these, though.

Also, they have safety razors and they are all overpriced. They wanted $40 for the merkur hd, which I obviously found much cheaper online. Too bad, if they were even slightly competitive, I probably would have purchased it from them.

There is also a Nordstroms in Beachwood Mall that has some shaving products.

I am fairly new to this wet shaving thing, but I can honestly say I am very happy with the AOS products, as well as the C&E samples. Both performed very well for me. I also have some Taylors rose shaving cream, and I can say the AOS and C&E compare very favorably to the Taylors, which is to say, they are all very good.

As a side note, I just received a tube of Proraso Red for $5. Couldn't pass it up for the price...Hopefully it shaves as good as it smells.

Good luck and let us know what you wind up with.

Steve
Hightime0

Post by Hightime0 »

Thanks everyone
Desmoface Beachwood is right were I was talking about I live just west of Akron I have the green Prorsoa and love it so far I also just got started so I wanted to try new stuff would i be better off getting AOS offline I found places were it is only 19.95 + 4 something for shipping
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

To be honest, I think the tub, or whatever it is called, is like $22 in the store, so it will probably be a wash. I would at least go and check the store's out..see what you are purchasing..I just used some Proraso in the red tube this morning and it's very nice.

Good luck.

Steve
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Hodari D. wrote:AOS creams are definately overpriced,
AOS cream is less expensive than T&H.
Mottern Man

Post by Mottern Man »

I may get stoned to death for this.

The 3 T's, AoS, D.R.H. great creams/soaps, great scent, but worth the cost? Heck no.

Well maybe Taylors because it dosen't hit the wallet as hard.
Will - "Doc"
Steve

Post by Steve »

Will,

I agree, they are all great creams and all overpriced. The most expensive one I buy is Taylor's but I made an exception for Art of Shaving because I love the Sandalwood scent. I did find a website that sold it to me for $19 with free S&H. The only catch was that it did not come in a box but I can live with that.

If we all thought certain creams were overpriced, we would only be buying lower priced creams like Kiss My Face, Proraso, The Body Shop, Taylors, etc.

Steve
Mottern Man

Post by Mottern Man »

Steve wrote:Will,

I agree, they are all great creams and all overpriced. The most expensive one I buy is Taylor's but I made an exception for Art of Shaving because I love the Sandalwood scent. I did find a website that sold it to me for $19 with free S&H. The only catch was that it did not come in a box but I can live with that.

If we all thought certain creams were overpriced, we would only be buying lower priced creams like Kiss My Face, Proraso, The Body Shop, Taylors, etc.

Steve
Tis true, AoS Sandalwood is the best Sandalwood to hit my nose (lavender ain't too shabby either).

Nothing wrong with KMF, ToM, The Body Shop, Erasmic, Fraser's, Musgo Real..............I can go on if you wish. :lol:
Will - "Doc"
Josey Wales

Post by Josey Wales »

Gotta agree with the Doc... Top price for Proraso is $10. Lowest for AoS appears to be $20. Can't see paying double for a nice scent.

AoS sandlewood smell is terrific. I just wished it shaved well. I'd take "Italian Toothpaste" over it any day. :roll:
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I've got the AOS Shaving soap in sandalwood and it's very strong and smells very nice. In fact, it's so strong I can smell it when I walk into the bathroom and it's inside a closet (with the it's door open). I have a hunch it would go quite well with D.R. Harris' Sandalwood Aftershave (which I have). I'll have to give that combo a try. Good stuff.

Chris
Brutus

Art Of Shaving

Post by Brutus »

Hightime0 wrote:I live near Cleveland Ohio, and found out that we have an art of shaving store near by, and I was wondering if any one has used the product, and what you thought of it. also right across the hall is a crab-tree and Evelyn what product would you try. right now I'm only using proraso

Art of Shaving; what shall I say except excellent business model, cleverly marketed?

I have tried a few of their products from the AOS shop in near Columbus Circle in NY, but I was not overly impressed.

The products were o.k., but not really worth their price and I could have bought better stuff on the ground floor of the same building in the Crabtree & Evelyn and L'Occitane shops.