Burma Shave -- Test

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Burma Shave -- Test

Post by FiReSTaRT » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:20 pm

I picked up a cake of this soap in a small town in Iowa while we were on our way to do a job in Nevada. I think it cost about $3, so it definitely qualifies as a cheap soap. Since I was testing the effects of a long absence on my blades and then testing the new JC custom, I stuck to my usual TGQ/Tryphon rotation. Tonight as I was shave-testing the Workman for a honing exchange, I decided to give it a whirl. Here are my impressions:
Scent -- Sweet, yet masculine. Understated. It's pleasant but it can't compare to the big guns.
Lather -- Easy to generate with minimal water. It stays consistent even as it dries out, kind of like the dry foam of C&E soaps. This can be tricky if you're a beginner and can't complete a pass in a reasonable amount of time. The similarities end with a very important point: Unlike C&E soaps, it's not PRONE to drying out, so you don't have to reapply lather or rush through a pass.
Hydration -- It hydrated the stubble adequately and made the shave fairly easy. Superb performer in that department.
Glide -- The blade went over my face with no impediment. This one's definitely slick.
Cushioning -- Even though the blade was f.f.t.h., the aftershave burn was a bit more than it should have been. I guess you can't have evertything.
Overall -- I've tested several soaps in the "cheap" category, including VdH, Williams and Wilkinson. Burma's the best of the lot. It should be your #1 option if you're on a budget.
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic

JimT

Post by JimT » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:39 pm

Nice review. Only problem is, it has been discontinued per the maker.

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"

prism

Post by prism » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:05 pm

Not until recently, Jim. There's plenty floating around out there, always seems to be some available on Ebay. Thanks for the review Firestart, I've always been curious about Burma Shave soap. I'm definitely going to pick some up!
Make Mine Menthol! Vic

Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:29 am

IMO Burma Shave is the best of the discount soaps; lathers with relative ease, shaves fairly well, and smells incredible. It used to be available at a couple of local grocery stores but they no longer carry it since its discontination. I keep telling myself to pick up a couple of cakes on eBay for posterity's sake.
Brett

FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:40 am

I didn't know about it being discontinued. Had I known, I would have picked up a few more, as if I need any more soaps lol. After reviewing my credit card records, I realized that I didn't buy it in Iowa, but in Nebraska. For those of you living there or passing through there, here's the store info: SUNMART #768 GRAND ISLAND NE. I guess Sunmart is a chain, so if you have one near by, chances are they still have a few in stock.
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic

Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:00 am

I have a few cakes of that soap left
I don't use it much because I prefer Taylor's stuff so much I use it all the time, but now that you're saying it's discontinued, I feel sad about that
It's an old reliable, does its job without much fuss or fanfare
Too often when you ignore old reliable, you find out it's not around any more
Oddly, I just bought a few cakes from this place but probably won't use it, I'll just know that it's around!

ichabod
Mackem

Re: Burma Shave -- Test

Post by ichabod » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:18 am

FiReSTaRT wrote:...while we were on our way to do a job in Nevada...
Sorry, couldn't help having this image pop into my head:
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic

ScottS

Post by ScottS » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:01 am

I tried Burma Soap a while ago. It is right in there with Williams and such other products. Nothing good enough to move it out of rotation to make the mug available for Revivage.

I was all psyched to try Burma for the role in shaving history, but then I remembered that the roadside jingles were for a BRUSHLESS cream!!

FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Re: Burma Shave -- Test

Post by FiReSTaRT » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:17 pm

ichabod wrote:
FiReSTaRT wrote:...while we were on our way to do a job in Nevada...
Sorry, couldn't help having this image pop into my head:
Lol I wish it was something like that. We were staying in Eureka -- "The loneliest town on the loneliest highway in America." We were doing a geophysical survey on a grid that was somewhere b/w Eureka and Ely, but way off the highway. Rough work but it's something different and the landscape was beautiful even though the sage bushes made my pants smell like I took a Newfie shower lol Here are a couple of pics:
Definitely not your average 9-5 office work lol