Received my new Fraser's today.

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

John,
Yep,that's what my tub looks like.
Thanks for all you've done for us here.
Bob
Bob
radiofish

Post by radiofish »

I hope that the pictures help. The first one I took in natural light so that you can see the consistency of the cream.

The second one shows how thick it should be when it arrives at your door.

The rest of them, I just took you through my normal lathering technique. I started out with a rather dry brush, and added water as I went.

Take care all, and happy shaving :D

John H.
radiofish

Post by radiofish »

Churchill wrote:John,
Yep,that's what my tub looks like.
Thanks for all you've done for us here.
Bob
It is our pleasure. You all are great gentlemen and it is our honor to serve you all. This is a fantastic hobby and we really enjoy working in it!

My concern is that a couple of you all have had trouble with the Fraser's, and I know that John and I want you all to be completely satisfied with anything you purchase from us. It is frustrating for me because I want you all to have the best. That was my hope when John and I founded the company... and it still is our value.

Take care and we'll talk tomorrow,
John H.
levente

Post by levente »

Gents,

Another update on the recent Frasers I received. I let one tub sit open for approximately 16 hours after which time it had thickened noticeably. I shaved with it that morning, using my normal dryish brush and the cream actually lathered this time. Not copiously, mind you, but enough that it seemed like a lather shave cream and not a brushless one, and it didn't clog my razor like the first time I had used it. Subsequently, I allowed another 48 hours to elapse with the top off and shaved with it again yesterday morning, and got even better lather. The resulting shave was about the same each time (i.e., good), but more enjoyable as the cream had time to thicken. From my experience, the recent batch of Frasers cream is not defective.

While I would not put Frasers at the top level of lather shave creams, it strikes me as a fine product at a very good price. Thanks again to the fine gentlemen at Shaving Essentials for their assistance.

Regards,
Basil
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

I got an email from the owner of TBBS after I asked about the problem with some of the Fraser's cream. It seems excessive heat during a production run caused the runny batch. The cream is not "bad" per se, just not as dense as it should be. As you all know, these tubs have been replaced, and you should not worry about future purchases, as this was an isolated incident.

Many have asked me about the availablity of the Fraser's cream, as well as the Booster line of products, and it's great that these are now available in the U.S. through Shaving Essentials, at very attractive prices, to boot. For those in the Toronto area, you can ask your local TBBS outlet to bring in any of the Booster products that you don't see on the shelf. They order weekly from a central outlet where the full line is kept in stock.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I received my new batch of Fraser's over a week ago. Thanks so much to Shaving Essentials. My use has shown a generous lather if I used enough on the brush. It has a funny tendency to stick to the blades even when the razor is held under a strong stream from the tap. I have to open up the razor and take out the blade and wipe the bottom side with my finger to remove the last of the soap. This is not a problem but I think it is rather hard to rinse the dried residue from my skin after the shave. Sometimes I use a washcloth around my nostrils and part of the ears where I get some lather. Not really sure it is any different from other high end creams because the only other cream I have used is Palmolive.

Ouch (Pete)
radiofish

Post by radiofish »

Hi Basil,
I just wanted to follow up and see how things are going with the Frasers? Has it thickened up for you?

Just checking in...

John
levente

Post by levente »

radiofish wrote:Hi Basil,
I just wanted to follow up and see how things are going with the Frasers? Has it thickened up for you?

Just checking in...

John
John,

See my post above. I also sent you an email setting forth the above as well.

Regards,
Basil
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Just a note from the opposite end of the spectrum...I had to add a couple teaspoons of water to my 1/3 tub of Fraser's to thin it out a little. It was so thick that it won't dissolve easily in the brush.
Richard
yomuppet

Post by yomuppet »

I just want to mention something to try, for those with runny tubs that have since 'solidified'. I was curious, so I turned mine upside down, and nothing ran out. So far, so good.

Then, I turned it back over (you do not want to be upside down for this), squeezed the tub a little, and shook back and forth just a bit to see if it would move, and the top layer cracked a bit, and there was a layer of nearly clear liquid substance underneath. Needless to say, this did not bode well. I've stirred the 'solidified' layer back into the liquid layer, and it's as runny as it ever was. We'll see.

Best of luck with yours.

J

Edit: I repeated the above process for 3 days straight, and at the end it was normal (read: thick) consistency. Odd, but it worked :D
Last edited by yomuppet on Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biomesh

Post by biomesh »

When mine was thinner (second batch, btw) I stirred it while it was thin (right after I got it). I used it two days ago and the entire tub was a thick consistency.
- Robert -
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I just wanted to add that I have been using my new Frazers exclusively and I find the large jar to be very convenient to use. I just dip a wet brush in and swirl it a bit and I get a very generous lather. I do the lathering up on my face. So far the consistency is just right. The only thing I would change is the scent. I guess it is a classic though so why change it.

Ouch (Pete)
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I just bought FOUR tubs from TBBS and they all look super-fresh and good as ever.
Richard
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I received a sample of the Fraser's from the Johns when I ordered the Booster Aftershaves Sampler and I have to concur this is nice cream. I even like the scent! It FAINTLY reminds me of Taylor's Victorian Limes like it was a third cousin twice removed or something. But anyway I do like this cream and think Gordon's and Richard's observations are spot on: it's not as protective as the upper crust stuff but is still very good and an excellent value. It's also perfect for straight razor shaving. I may order some in the future.

Chris