Penhaligon English Fern

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Marsom

Penhaligon English Fern

Post by Marsom »

Hello, i'm interested in trying this soap out. Any advice on the best place to purchase? Also, for those of you who use the soap regularly, how does it compare to the Trumpers hard soaps?

Best,
Marion
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Marion, There are very few places to purchase Penhaligon's products. The two that are most accessible are; Penhaligon's themselves, or shoplondon.com. You'll not get any breaks on the price regardless, and their stuff actually costs less in the US then it does in Britain....go figure. The older tallow based soaps were a tad better, the newer ones should be pretty similiar to Trumpers ( but then again, the older Trumper soaps were a tad better too ). And, welcome back.
Regards,
Gordon
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Penhaligons NY store had some tallow English Fern soaps as of about two weeks ago.

Chris
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Marion,
There is a shop in Santa Monica:
Studio Fred Segal
500 Broadway
Santa Monica, CA 90401
(310) 319-3454

I just recently got some of this soap and it is easily my new favourite, I highly recommend it. 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
MAB

Post by MAB »

The Truefitt and Hill barbershop in Chicago carries English Fern shaving soap. I saw some there myself on Saturday.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

bernards66 wrote:their stuff actually costs less in the US then it does in Britain....go figure
*Everything* costs less in the US than it does in Britain, unfortunately.

(Except lingerie models.)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I have the Penhaligon's EF and some Trumper's soaps. The Penhaligon is terrific and gives a richer lather. The difference is not dramatic but noticeable if you use them back-to-back or are "into it" as a hobby. It's comparing excellent products to superb products. Given the price differential, the EF is a novelty and a treat not used every day. The Trumper's makes wonderful, perfect lather, and is more of a top performing daily use item, especially since Penhaligon does not make a sandalwood shave soap (darn them).
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)