Hard Soap review: Williams Mug Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

Thanks, Chris for the reviews!

The one thing I would add to Chris' comments is that Wiliams leaves my face with an overall dry feeling.

Thanks!

Paul.
Evan

Re: Hard Soap review: Williams Mug Soap

Post by Evan »

drmoss_ca wrote:. I have no access to the other classic drugstore types - Surrey, Colgate, or Burma.
Speaking of these, I was wondering if anyone had tried them? Particuarly the Colgate. What does it smell like? I might pick up some Burma tomorrow at Eckerd..it's cheap anyways. I haven't seen Colgate in any drugstores here though..

Evan
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Re: Hard Soap review: Williams Mug Soap

Post by mantic »

Evan wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote:. I have no access to the other classic drugstore types - Surrey, Colgate, or Burma.
Speaking of these, I was wondering if anyone had tried them? Particuarly the Colgate. What does it smell like? I might pick up some Burma tomorrow at Eckerd..it's cheap anyways. I haven't seen Colgate in any drugstores here though..

Evan
Evan-- I haven't tried Colgate but I do have a cake of Burma Shave and a cake of Williams. Between the two, I prefer the Williams; I get a cleaner shave with it. Burma is adequate but it seems to leave a residue on my face, forcing me to rinse longer.

--Mark
Evan

Post by Evan »

I see...I don't think I'll pick up the Burma then.

I was in a family owned drugstore today, and actually found a cake of the Colgate...I had never seen it before. I was kinda excited, but when I opened it, it smelled exactly like the Williams soap. I don't know if it has the same ingredients though, because the Colgate doesn't list em. But since it was only 99¢, it's nothing lost.

Evan
Evan

Post by Evan »

Joel wrote:Chris,
Next time I am at the drugstore i'll pick you up a cake (or several) of colgate, surrey and if I can still find some old spice.

-Joel
They still make Old Spice shaving soap?

Evan
Evan

Post by Evan »

Joel wrote:Evan,
Nope, thats why it is hard to find.... it's good stuff though and it pops up on ebay once in awhile.
Ah yes...I see on their website they stopped making it 10 years ago. Have you used soap that old before?

Evan
Johnnie
Shave This

First time soap user

Post by Johnnie »

Hey guys.

I want to get into wet shaving, but I dont want to spend alot of money because Im not sure if i am going to like it. I saw Williams soap at Walmart. Is that good stuff? Will it be ok to start off with?

Thanks
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Evan

Re: First time soap user

Post by Evan »

johnnie wrote:Hey guys.

I want to get into wet shaving, but I dont want to spend alot of money because Im not sure if i am going to like it. I saw Williams soap at Walmart. Is that good stuff? Will it be ok to start off with?

Thanks
I loved it when I first used it a few weeks ago. Theres better out there, but I still think it's good.

Evan
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Johnnie-- Your Mileage May Vary, but my first "experiment" with wet shaving was with Williams shave soap (0.97 at Walmart), a small pack of GOOD (triple-blade, pivoted) disposable razors (~$5 at Walmart) and a Burma Shave boar brush ($6 at a local grocery store). So, for under $15, I got the "flavor" of wetshaving. That was enough for me to go out and get a Gillette Mach3 Turbo razor (~$10 at Walmart), a cheap Tweezerman badger brush (~$12 mailorder), and request some sample shaving creams from Trumper and Truefitt & Hill ($0.00). Then I was able to get an "experience" closer to what most of the gents out there have, for about $20. After a couple months you'll know more about the process and the products out there and spend accordingly.

--Mark
Johnnie
Shave This

thanks

Post by Johnnie »

thanks everyone for your expertise. I will take it all into consideration.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Chris, I agree with you, Williams isn't much of a soap to shave with. I'd rather spend some bigger bucks and get a good soap like Rivivage or even Classics and know it's going to lather up the way I want. Even Proraso soap is excellent, and does it ever feel good when it's on your skin. I have a bowl of it and I bet it'll last almost a year.

Jeff