Has anyone tried "Herban Cowboy" shave soaps or cr

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Lopyswine

Has anyone tried "Herban Cowboy" shave soaps or cr

Post by Lopyswine »

okay,
So today I was in this alternative grocery store. They have a TON of "natural" grooming products.

So I went to the men's section and the only thing I could find related to shaving was called Herban Cowboy shaving soap and shaving cream.

They had soaps in 2 scents: original and dusk.

Creams were also available in the same scents.

Has anyone used these products before? The dusk scent was great, however I am apprehensive to just pick up a puck or tube without having ever heard about them...
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Welcome to the board Lopyswine!
I personally have not tried the Herban cowboy stuff nor would I just for that name. I have never read anything good about them so I don't know. If you want to stick to the natural products try Tom's of Maine or Kiss my face shave cream, These are proven good products.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I tried the shaving soap: TERRIBLE, at least for me. No lather to speak of... went directly into the trash after the first shave.

It's not so easy to make a good shaving soap as some believe.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Ditto my experience -- no lather at all, just thin watery suds.
Doug
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I'm number three against Herban Cowboy...lousy lather, and it irritated my skin...

And I'll second an earlier post. Kiss My Face is excellent and Tom's of Maine is a good product as well...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
hampsteronastick

Post by hampsteronastick »

Herban Cowboy is the worst shave soap I have yet to encounter. It did not even perform well as a bath soap.
Dan
Daddy, why are you dipping the hampster in whipped cream?
It's not whipped cream, it's shaving cream.
Daddy, why are you shaving the hampster?
drumana

Post by drumana »

:lol: A while back I posted a thread asking about Herban Cowboy products and got the same responses as you. Not one good comment.
-Andrew-
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Well, to find something positive about Herban Cowboy: clever name. :)
Bob

Post by Bob »

The shave soap was not good. I ended up using it as a bath soap.
--Bob--
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Another good thing about it: since Whole Foods sells it, we can assume it's made with free-range Dusk, which has been raised without hormones or antibiotics.

--Glenn
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I bought one cake for $.99 on clearance before reading this thread. I guess I won't be looking for more...
ringo448

Post by ringo448 »

I've used the cream. I don't like the smell, and the shave wasn't all that great. I kept having to reapply it.

Sounds like the soap is no good either (I have an unwrapped cake sitting in my cupboard, oh well).

John
GrantPark

Post by GrantPark »

Soap doesn't lather well but is rather slick. It might be OK as a base for a superlather with cream like KMF. I used mine up in the shower before I knew about superlathering.
merkur07

Post by merkur07 »

I bought some of this at a narket on a trip once. I didn't realize it was brushless. I never used it and ended up giving it to my boss, who will shave with anything.
Robert
--------------------
Razors: Cobra, Futur, '59 Fatboy,Gem G-bar,Slant
Blades: Feather ProGuard/Polsilver/Trig Silver Edge
Brush: Merkur Silver Tip
Shaving Creams: Proraso Red and 50+ others
SteveW

Re: Has anyone tried "Herban Cowboy" shave soaps o

Post by SteveW »

I'm in the minority on this. I find the cream to be an adequate brushless product. While I'm neutral on the aroma my wife is nuts for it and, frankly, that counts for a lot.

Not my first choice product, but there are some mornings when a brushless cream + an injector is all I have time for, you know?
Lopyswine wrote:okay,
So today I was in this alternative grocery store. They have a TON of "natural" grooming products.

So I went to the men's section and the only thing I could find related to shaving was called Herban Cowboy shaving soap and shaving cream.

They had soaps in 2 scents: original and dusk.

Creams were also available in the same scents.

Has anyone used these products before? The dusk scent was great, however I am apprehensive to just pick up a puck or tube without having ever heard about them...