Tale of the Tape

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Tale of the Tape

Post by Brett G » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:20 am

I was a Wool Fat admirer long before the current crop of Woolies sprang up. I’ve also heard Richard (rustyblade) extol the virtues of the Valobra Shave Stick for some time now. I thought it was high time to get to the bottom of this and do a head to head comparison. The results may delight and amaze you.

Scent: Both soaps have a light clean fragrance, Valobra being soapy and Lamb Grease being floral. I like both but the Grease gets a very slight nod here.

Latherability: No contest, Valobra in a landslide. Sheep Goop is notoriously finicky and tough to lather. It is very water sensitive and prone to foaming. Valobra on the other hand is a snap: rub the stick on your face, swirl a wet brush over it, get great lather.

Shave: Again, Valobra in a rout. I find Sweater Snot to shave a little on the rough side. It has good cushion but doesn’t glide as well as I’d like. Valobra might be the best shaving soap I’ve ever used. It offers great feel like a soap should but with the richness of a good shaving cream. Superb.

Skin Condition: Call this one a draw only because Ewe Goo contains lanolin, which my skin loves. The Valobra shave is so good that my skin is in tip top shape afterward. The other stuff is also excellent, again owing to that magic ingredient.

Price: Valobra comes in a 2oz shaving stick; Mitchell’s (Kent) in a cake that is a little more than twice as bit. Valobra can be had for around $10 while Kent is $20 (not factoring in shipping.) Kent gets the nod although the real difference is negligible.

Intangibles: Here is where things get a little ugly. I used to love shaving with Wool Fat if for no other reason than it gave me the opportunity to say “Wool Fat”. Now I’m completely sick of it. The whole Wool Fat trip is tired and needs to be euthanized. Sheep Sh*t also loses big points because the soap cake dries out and cracks like the floor of the Mojave Desert. Very annoying. Valobra picks up a few extra points because the shave stick format is easy to travel with.

Conclusion: Valobra wins going away. Hand Cream Ingredient has some interesting qualities that make it a good shaving soap but in the end Valobra is just too good to pass up. Sorry Woolies, you are on the wrong side. If you want to worship sheep then you need to move to Scotland.

Glad I finally cleared that up.
Brett

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:26 am

This will please the fatties.

Glad I stocked up on Valobra already.
Last edited by rustyblade on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Hoos

Post by Hoos » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:30 am

Is this the beginning of The Silence of the Lambs(oap)"?
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:32 am

Good work, Brett, not to mention a timely contribution!

I shaved with Valobra last night, not having used it for some time. (I grated mine up and mashed it into a glass dish.) It made excellent lather very easily and I got a great shave.

Now we had best brace ourselves for the Wrath of the Woolies! :lol:

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:48 am

Does Valobra hard soap smell the same as Art of Shaving unscented? That one smells rather odd to me, and I don't like it. But I agree it shaves well. I don't think it's better or worse, just somewhat different.

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:01 pm

The "got my woolfat today" thread is up to 11 pages now. I hope those poor saps left enough money on their credit cards to buy a stick or two of valobra which no doubt will be the next best thing HAHAHAHAHA

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum

Hoos

Post by Hoos » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:17 pm

fallingwickets wrote:The "got my woolfat today" thread is up to 11 pages now. I hope those poor saps left enough money on their credit cards to buy a stick or two of valobra which no doubt will be the next best thing HAHAHAHAHA

Clive
I have a stick of Arko (which works remarkably well, too, but have never used Valobra).

So, I'm prepared if the fat market falls in. :lol:

However, I still love my fat. But I use it sparingly. So none of this wretched cracking or "tired of the smell" stuff that is so troubling to so many. :shock:
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:21 pm

prepared if the fat market falls in
WSJ headline:
fat Bubble bursts.....trading in MWF halted

LOL

Clive

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:57 pm

notthesharpest wrote:Does Valobra hard soap smell the same as Art of Shaving unscented? That one smells rather odd to me, and I don't like it. But I agree it shaves well. I don't think it's better or worse, just somewhat different.
Not that I'm aware of. Valobra does have it's own scent, quite light and pleasant. The only difference between AOS scented soap and Valobra shave stick is EO.
Richard

train36

Post by train36 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:42 pm

I also am not too fond of the woolfat, the lather is way too tricky and I don't seem to get good shaves with it, it did dry out and crack too. I have not yet tried Valobra but now I am must give it a try. I do like shave sticks , love my Harris Arlington shave stick and also my Harris Soaps, I have yet to find a better soap.
Dan

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:45 pm

Dan

With a thumbs up from the likes of Richard and Brett you really can't go wrong trying the V

Clive

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:52 pm

I had a Kent shave bowl and puck years back when I started out, think Gordon gifted me. I did not like the smell and rid myself of it. The smell was so so, not pungent like the Trumper Violet was (drats Trumper, now you gone and done it!!!!!!). Have not tried Valobra, but I am happy with the Trumper sandalwood and will try the Limes puck I got.

drumana

Post by drumana » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:10 pm

Good detective work there, Brett. . . I'm a MWF lover, for sure, but take no offense to your opinion of Valobra being better. . . whatever works for you is fine with me.

Perhaps the MWF fad will soon be taking a hiatus and the new flavor of the week will be Valobra. Mind you, I'll still use MWF regularly :wink:

My next little shave soap project is to pit MWF against Institut Karite and Pre de Provence which is en route as we speak. I might as well throw in Valobra, Tabac, and T&H Luxury while I'm at it - none of which I've tried just yet. . . It's gonna be an action packed summer!!! 8)
-Andrew-

nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:14 pm

I suppose I'll be the one to ask for all of those woolies (and other members) that want to know...

Where is the best source online to get Valobra??
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain

Dale

Post by Dale » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:17 pm

nodaktim wrote:I suppose I'll be the one to ask for all of those woolies (and other members) that want to know...

I just ordered some from razorandbrush.com.

ScottS

Post by ScottS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm

I take full responsibility for Richard's addiction. There. I said it. Is that step 3 or step 4?

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:04 pm

ScottS wrote:I take full responsibility for Richard's addiction. There. I said it. Is that step 3 or step 4?
Yes, I must thank Scott for hooking me onto this soap. A while back out of nowhere he sent me a PM offering to split an order from The Soap Bar. Very generous and the rest is history.

I think Brett said it best when he likened Valobra to a soap that had the properties of a good shave cream.

I am hoping that this Valobra thread will be strong enough to slay the behemoth Wool Fat Thread(s). :wink: Aww, just kidding I do like MWF very much.
Richard

Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:24 pm

nodaktim wrote:I suppose I'll be the one to ask for all of those woolies (and other members) that want to know...

Tim,
Try www.shavingessentials.net
$1 cheaper and easier to set up an account with.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:39 pm

Big Swifty wrote:

Tim,
Try www.shavingessentials.net
$1 cheaper and easier to set up an account with.
$9 is cheap.
Richard

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:06 pm

Well, well!....what a tour de force from our Man in South Jersey ( chuckle ). Excellent post. I have to agree with NTS, though. Mitchell's I can't use, but I've, of course, checked it out. First time was in the '90s, in fact. A very good shave soap, although a bit tricky to lather, as many have said. I've not used the Valobra because this version is only available in stick form, and I have little use for shave sticks, really. I have, however, used plenty of the AOS soap, which Richard thinks is the same stuff ( and he's likely right ). A very good shave soap, certainly, but I've never felt that it was better then several others that are available. And I never cared over much for the scent of the stuff.....unscented, or otherwise. That being the case, I doubt that I can get into making the effort to grate up a Valobra stick, mash the resulting stuff into a bowl, and all the rest of it. So, I'm going to pass on this emerging craze I do believe. Now, if you'll be so kind as to check your PMs, I'll be requesting your aid in locating some more Coate's shortly.
Regards,
Gordon

P.S. That's Step Nine, Scott ( chuckle ).....making amends.
Last edited by bernards66 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.