Charles Tyrwhitt Lemon & Cedar Shaving Cream...

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Charles Tyrwhitt Lemon & Cedar Shaving Cream...

Post by nodaktim »

As I said in my SOTD today, "...You gents have kept a well guarded secret by not mentioning the Charles Tyrwhiit products that often..."

Now that I have become fortunate enough to try it (thank you Glenn) I am wondering, why is it not mentioned enough around here?? This is a great cream and the only problem is it's lack of availability.

For those of you also fortunate to have tried it, what are your thoughts??
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Bob

Post by Bob »

Well, it was discontinued, Tim. I'm on my last pot. Are you implying that it's back in production? If so, I want some!

I find that the Lemon & Cedar shave cream is an exceedingly good match for Caswell-Massey's Number Six cologne, by the way.
--Bob--
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, It was a specialty product that has not been available for some time. Only a few members even had any. Back when it was available there were quite a few threads/posts on it, and it still shows up occasionally in the SOTD section. It was a clearly a Creighton made cream; my guess being that the scent etc. was put together for them by Taylors; Tyrwhitt being a shirtmaker after all.
Regards,
Gordon
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm down to three and 3/4 pots. I did ask Tyrrwhitt if they might have any old stock in some warehouse, as I would have bought it but the answer was no.
It was probably a Taylor formula, certainly made by Creighton, and was splendid stuff.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

I got a couple of pots of it and wish I had gotten more when I had the chance. I still use it periodically, trying to stretch it out as long as possible. I suppose I will have some sort of ceremony when it is finally gone, kind of like I did when I used the last of the old version Trumper's Limes cream. Still miss that one, don't care what anyone says about the new stuff.

BobS
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ive got some Dominco Carrici (Sic) Id trade for a pot.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I have a few pots (okay, maybe 3 or 4) hiding somewhere around the house. It is a fine cream and is one that I use sparingly for fear of running out.
I remember getting it for like $7 a tub a few years ago.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

I managed to acquire 2 tubs, and will definitely be sad when it runs out. The performance and scent are wonderful.
Jason

Post by Squire »

Mine's all gone, it was good while it lasted though.
Regards,
Squire
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

I have a 1/2 tub left and I use it sparingly. It's one of my favorites. Slickest stuff I've ever tried.
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

I take that by the above responses, no one is interested in parting with any tubs??

Otherwise I would gladly buy, trade, or whatever to acquire another tub or 3... :twisted:

When was the cream and A/S readily available and for how long??
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

It sounds like the Tyrwhitt stuff was pretty good. Personally, I always thought it was a bit strange that a shirt company sold a shaving cream and therefore I thought it wouldn't be much good.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gareth, Well, Brooks Brothers is a clothier, but their 1818 Cologne is good, and the old J. Press shave cream was actually Castle Forbes, so sometimes these sorts of things can be very good. Depends on the firm.
Regards,
Gordon
doleeo

Post by doleeo »

Every time this cream appears in the BST, I always seem to get beaten to it.

I think that Lemon and Cedarwood would be a great scent. Hopefully sometime I'll be able to try it.
-Ethan
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

I will be shaving with this tomorrow. I too have 3 3/4 tubs of it left and it really is quite good. Got mine at $4 a tub, such a bargain!

regards,
Rich

Do not give up before the miracle happens.
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Yeah it's good.
Really good, one of my favorites. Still no sense bringing it up after it isn't available anymore....I do have a little left, but when it was on clearance, I'd have rather paid regular price for it to stay in production, than some of the prices mentioned above and know that was the last time it will be available.

John P.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Gordon, if only Tunbull & Asser had a shaving cream. Now that would be something special, I would imagine.
harper

Post by harper »

Gareth, I am surprised that T&A does not have a cologne, at least. Brand or equity extensions are common in all sorts of markets and the good companies only use their brand names on quality products. This is very common in the watch industry where likely all of the quality brands (and some not so high quality) have watches made for them under their name. Many of them are of high quality ... Chanel, Armani, many others ... because they do not want their reputations tarnished by inferior products. For many years Cartier, a client of mine at one time, had their watches made for them by Ebel but since they are now owned by Richemont I have no idea of who makes them and they may manufacture them in their own factories.

Brand or equity extensions do not always work. Overall, Gillette dominates the market for razors, blades, and has made a lot of money on toiletries but cannot extends this equity to other products. There is no company in North America with more strength in drug stores than Gillette so it would seem they could leverage that strength and extend their product line. They had no little success.

They tried to sell watches, other products under the Gillette brand name and fell flat on their faces. A watch for a great many people is more than just a timepiece, it is a statement and a Gillette watch name does not make much of a statement about the wearer even though the watches were very good. At one time they owned S.T. Dupont, the very expensive cigarette lighter and pen company but were wise enough not to add the Gillette name to it. The last I heard they owned Waterman pens ... not big in North America but prestige pens in Europe ... and kept the Waterman name.

I know they talked about associating the name with their PaperMate products but wiser heads prevailed and they scrapped the idea. There is no benefit in taking a quality name and associating it with a downmarket product or name. The result is not that the downmarket product rises in perception, the quality product gets downgraded. And that is why companies with quality names sell quality products under their brand name.

cheers

Bob
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

nodaktim wrote:I take that by the above responses, no one is interested in parting with any tubs??

Otherwise I would gladly buy, trade, or whatever to acquire another tub or 3... :twisted:

When was the cream and A/S readily available and for how long??
No one able to comment on this??
~ Tim ~

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The cream ran out about summer of 07. There was a $4 per tub sale. I wasn't aware that there was an aftershave.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace