SCS Scent Matching

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
heartoftheash

SCS Scent Matching

Post by heartoftheash »

Hey, all, relatively new wetshaver here. I've been wanting to pick up some shaving cream from St. Charles's Shave, but need to be sure that the scent I pick doesn't clash with my current cologne/aftershave. I was hoping that some of you frequent SCS users could help me out.

See, my girlfriend expressly forbade me to change my cologne (Aspen by Coty, that green stuff you see in the drugstores; kind of a pine scent with cinnamon and citrus undertones). It's the scent she's come to associate with me. So changing my aftershave isn't an option: whatever cream I buy has to complement it. I'm not looking for a perfect match (too much to hope for, I imagine), but something that hopefully wouldn't clash with it.

Up till now I've been using the low-end unscented soaps that came with my starter wetshaving kit. Should I just get SCS's unscented cream? But that seems almost like a cop-out.

Any advice would be appreciated--thanks!

--Chris
Last edited by heartoftheash on Tue May 06, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Welcome to the board Chris!
Remember that whatever cream or soap you end up using will fade to nothing once you rinse it off, so go ahead and order any SCS scent that appeals to you and don't worry about it clashing with your aftershave. If she still makes her Oakmoss & Lavendula I will suggest that one.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
heartoftheash

Post by heartoftheash »

Oh--it fades? Huh. See, I remember when I was using canned foam like Colgate, the scent would still be on my skin hours later...

All right, good to know. Thanks--I'll put the Oakmoss on my to-try list.
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

she makes a scentless cream. That would match anything so to speak.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Hi Chris,

I love the SCS creams and have the following:

Smoke & Beads, Verbena, Tea Tree, Very V, Oakmoss & Lavendula. Each has its own distinct scent that I am sure you will love. Sue' products are first rate for sure.

I second the fact that the scent goes away when you clean up after shaving. No shave cream scent at all. Your A/S and other colognes or edt will not be compromised.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
xChris

Post by xChris »

I'll recommend her Fairway scent. It is a mild "greeen" scent, so it should be fine with your AS/EdT.
Chris
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

xChris wrote:I'll recommend her Fairway scent. It is a mild "greeen" scent, so it should be fine with your AS/EdT.
Chris,

I have been tempted to buy a tub of the Fairway Rose but I am told it smells like the newly cut grass on the golf course. With that in mind I would need to find a way to put a golf club grip on each of my razor handles. :D

And I would need to break out my hay fever meds each day I would shave with the stuff.

But despite all these excuses for not buying it I am going to put it on my must buy list.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
xChris

Post by xChris »

Bryce,

The scent is definitely green to me, as opposed to grassy or hay-like. Maybe something more like clippings from flowers or bushes -- if that makes sense. Come to think of it, it would probably match well with Musgo Real's No. 2 EdT (Oak Moss) which ahas a note of bell pepper to me.