It's not easy being green......

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
kaptain_zero

It's not easy being green......

Post by kaptain_zero »

I think Kermit spoke those words and I concur regarding Proroso green tube. It was fine if somewhat cool during the shave but afterwards was not pleasant for me. Stinging, burning cold for what seemed like at least a couple of hours. I also used the pre/post cream in both time slots so that may have been the culprit, I'm not sure.

Todays shave with Proroso red tube and using Cetaphil lotion afterwards was a much better experience. Still, it's not the warm fuzzy feeling I think I'm looking for when shaving at least in the cooler months of the year. I will give the green tube another shot but without the pre/post to see if maybe it was the latter that caused my greif.

So, what should I try next? I'm thinking something mild and warm scented... perhaps Sandalwood or Coconut? I'll be honest, I've not had much of a love affair with scents, many bother me, these newfangled "body sprays" that some younger ladies use send me running for the door as I find them horribly overpowering. I can't find anything in a deoderant that I would use... the only one I actually liked was call Blue Stratos as it at least didn't seem to clash with me but it dissapeared many years ago. I have used the Florena cream and it works well but again, I find the scent quite strong and my skin begins to itch on the second lather up. Williams mug soap has a quite nice scent and dissipates nicely in a short period of time but is not as comfortable for shaving I find. Still (thanks to another Chris on this forum) I tried it in my last shower as a bar soap and I was most impressed with it!

<Sigh>.... here I go again... running off at the keyboard... this was supposed to be a quick question so lets leave it at that, I'm looking for something warm, mild, gives a good shave without hopefully causing any other problems.

Thanks again gents.

Christian
Blue As A Jewel

Re: It's not easy being green......

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

kaptain_zero wrote:SNIP...

So, what should I try next?

<Sigh>.... here I go again... running off at the keyboard... this was supposed to be a quick question so lets leave it at that, I'm looking for something warm, mild, gives a good shave without hopefully causing any other problems.

Thanks again gents.

Christian
I terms of creams/soaps you may want to try Taylors Avocado. In reality though, I would suggest working on blade technique - as razor burn and stinging sensations for hours after the shave are usually more symptomatic of technique vs products.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The pre/post is a much more intense sensation, so it was probably that.

But if you find out it wasn't... make sure you get enough water into the Proraso green, maybe by soaking your brush more. I had the same excessive experience on my first try, because I rubbed the cream directly into my face with only a little water.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Christian, Personally, I can not use the Proraso products ( although they are of good quality ) due to some of the ingrediants that are in them. I too would suggest one of the top shelf English shaving creams. They are the best things going in terms of lather and lubrication. Since you are apparently rather sensitive to stronger scent, I would suggest the Almond creams from either Coate's or D R Harris ( but not from the other top firms ) as these are very 'gentle' and do not have a strong scent. The Coconut Oil shave cream from Geo F Trumper would possibly be another good choice. Truefitt & Hill Lavender is another possibility. Best of luck, and keep us up to date. Regards, Gordon
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Well, I think I have it narrowed down a bit. This morning I elected to miss the morning shave but rubbed on some Proroso pre/post to see what would happen and it was just fine. This afternoon I decided to lather up one cheek with green tube and within a couple of minutes the stinging and burning returned, however when I washed it off it only took 5 minutes for it to calm down which seems to point towards Ravi and his comments about possible razor burn and also the comments from notthesharpest about not having enough water in the brush. I've already begun the search for my next brush... the 20+ year old brush I have (drug store bought) is not performing to SMF standards for sure.

There are a great many variables to this game when starting out... it can be a bit overwhelming. Just today I've become addicted to fleamarket/antique store rummaging and scored what appears to be a NOS 1932 Gillette Tech razor (Canadian made) and a very serviceable Gillette adjustable/narrow handle so I'll at least have something a little less agressive than the old open comb Gillette I've been using up til now. Another questionable item in my kit are the USA made Super-Max blades.... I have no idea if they are good or not as I have nothing to compare to. At least I have some Merkur blades on the way.

Chris, I have not tried any of the more traditional creams/hard soaps yet... they sound like the next logical move. My initial interest in Proroso products was simply that they seemed to be universally liked by members on the board and were available at a reasonable cost from Feelbest which I believe you mentioned in a previous post. I would very much like to take you up on the offer of the Bay Rum/ Limes Col. Conk. Perhaps you could PM me with further details such as cost/postage etc.

Again gentlemen, I am in your debt.

Regards

Christian

PS: blueasajewel, Ravi, if I recall correctly, nice to meet you on this board. It's surprising to find a fellow 'pegger here!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Christian, Ah, that's right. An old open comb Gillette, I forgot you mentioned that. Quite an 'aggressive' razor. Probably not a good choice, at this point. The blades that you're using would almost have to be made by ASR ( Personna ), as they are the only ones making DE blades in the US anymore, as far as I know. I don't care for them all that much, but, you have Merkur blades coming, so that may help, as well as the more recent safety bar Gillette razor that you have just picked up. Yeah, I doubt that you can make much of a lather with a 20 year old drugstore brush. A decent badger brush WILL make a difference. A useable one can be gotten for as little as $30 or so. Stick around, things will improve. Regards, Gordon
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Thanks Gordon, yes I do plan to stick around :twisted:

I am after all a retro grouch, as I age I seem to be going back to the "old ways" as I find them more.... uhhmmmm..... satisfying. Not just in shaving mind you but also other ways. Come to think of it, I think I'll post something in the OT files, just for the fun of it. I also think I'm in for a treat in the morning, shaving with a safetybar, an adjustable one at that! I did own a DE before... but then I got an electric that seem to work well and it went downhill after that, so here I am... relearing all that old stuff.... again.

Regards

Christian
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I thought of another unfortunate Proraso experience - that of washing it off with some other soap. Much burning ensued.

I personally love the stuff, but it can be kind of idiosyncratic, apparently...
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Well, todays shave went much better, no doubt due in part to the arrival of a $5 adjustable Gillette DE. Mind you, it worked so much better than my open comb I ended up getting careless and had one pass around my adams apple go sour... first time I've need a styptic in a long time.

I used the pre/post and red tube, nice cool feeling and no burning except for that one area and even that calmed down rather quickly so I think everything points to the green tube as far as the problem I had before. Even that might settle down once I get a decent brush and get some more water into the cream. In the meantime I'm looking forward to trying some other products and scents... I'm sure I'll find something agreeable. Thank you for all the encouragment and suggestions.

Regards

Christian
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

chris: can u compare the conks bay rum scent? ive not been impressed all that much with glycerin, opaque soaps, but col. conk and QED are said to be the best of the bunch. i have found that really, compared to shave gels, the soaps and creams by the three T's all really are a bargain and i love their scents so much

sam
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i liked the citrus spice from CS and had not smelt others. i noticed, when i started using trumpers, that the lather seemed to be just that much more luxurious. now, i really like classic, but have not liked the opaque-glycerin rounds. just can't get a lather that i like with those. they are not bad, and they do an effective job, but for bladebuffin, they are thin

sam
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Nit-Picking Alert!

Trumpers' soap is opaque. Col. Conk soap is translucent.

Sorry to interrupt, no disrespect meant, just want to, um, "clarify" :lol:
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Sorry then. I shall have to be conked myself. :oops:
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

The Conk Bay Rum and Lime are in the mail today. Hope you like them.

Thank you Chris, I'm looking forward to giving the Col. Conk a workout. I'm sure I'll love the Bay Rum.... the Lime is going to be an adventure though, I have a love/hate relationship with citrus. Still, just today I ran across a facinating blend of Grapefruit and Bergemont (sp?) in some sort of an underarm stick. I don't recall the brand, twas at some giftshop in the boonies. I'm also still a bit selfconsious about being seen poking my honker around the scent dept. but I'm getting over it quick! The "rolling pin dept." however was looking at me with this confused and bewildered expression seeing I've always been a "Grampa's Pine Tar soap" kinda guy.... No frilly schtuph.

I may have to get out in the shop and fire up the lathe.... I could use some wood bowls for these new soaps... roughly how many secs/mins would I need to microwave them to melt?

Regards

Christian
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Christian,

Read through my previous thread about melting soaps:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2465

Remember, once you turn on the microwave, watch what is happening. My microwave is an oldie, but still does a decent job. Time will depend on the power of your microwave

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Tnx for the link Randy.... I'll keep my eyes open.

Christian