How do I use a bunch of soaps?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
shaveshell

How do I use a bunch of soaps?

Post by shaveshell »

Okay, so since getting into this hobby, I've aquired at least 15 different types of creams and 5 or so soaps. MWF is the favorite soap, but I have about five different ones and a few more in the mail. Here's the question. I using my different creams cause I love the variety and never use the same cream twice in a row. I'm really starting to enjoy the soaps and in fact, like the lather even more than some of my creams. So, if I want to have a bunch of soaps in the rotation, do I have to have bowls, mugs, etc. to have them all in, or is there another way to use a bunch of soaps that I'm not thinking of. The Tabac, MWF, etc are in their own coainers, but many are just pucks. Seems lke having a bunch of soaps in the rotation could take up a lot of space. What do most people do?
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

im strictly a soap user and ive got a maximum of 4 going at once usually. i have a bowl for each one. yes, it takes up space b/c its a bowl, so my suggestion is maybe use a mug instead; i just prefer to lather with bowls; mugs make me feel claustrophobic.

im sure other users have better ideas though :wink:
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

I don't know how most people do it, but I've heard some people keep each puck in a ziplock bag and just lather in the bag.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

All my soaps are in their respective wooden/ceramic bowls, but in the past I have always used plastic 'tupperware' style dishes and moulded the soap into it. Some others will use tea cups or mugs to house the puck.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I store my soaps in individual tupperware-type containers and put the chosen victim in a dipping bowl for lathering. After it dries, the soap goes back into the tupperware.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
drumana

Post by drumana »

I usually spring for the wooden bowl that is offered with most soaps. I find it more aesthetically pleasing than a bunch of random mugs, bowls or whatever. I try to keep the shave dojo as zen, uniform and uncluttered as possible. 8)
-Andrew-
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

drumana wrote:I usually spring for the wooden bowl that is offered with most soaps. I find it more aesthetically pleasing than a bunch of random mugs, bowls or whatever. I try to keep the shave dojo as zen, uniform and uncluttered as possible. 8)
hey, my bowls look rather nice thank you very much :lol:
drumana

Post by drumana »

hehehe... no offense to anyone. To each his own, and all that. I forgot to mention... wait for it... YMMV.
-Andrew-
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

For me, the important point is don't lather the soap in its container - lather it on your face, or in a separate bowl or mug. That way, the soap itself stays neat and relatively dry, and the lather stays all lathery. :)

Small round plastic or glass food containers are good for soap. I keep each one in a container of some kind, preferably the one it came in but not always.
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

1)Dollar Tree or Dollar General has large latte-type cups for $1. They work well for keeping a puck of soap and lathering. Not too ugly, either.

2)This is a good source for high quality plastic jars, amber and dark blue. Look for the 8 oz. size which are perfect for pucks. There is just enough room so the lather doesn't get all over the place as you load the brush.

Blue: http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.as ... ProdID=385

Amber: http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.as ... ProdID=390
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
drumana

Post by drumana »

Wow. Thanks for the link, Dave... Those jars look perfect for shave soaps. :idea:
-Andrew-
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I only have a few soaps, and all of them are in their original containers. Of course, for MWF I have the vaunted porcelain dish.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

Great idea. I immediately went to the site to order a half dozen.

Just over $5 dollars for 6 X 8 oz. amber jars and $20 to ship. This is unfortunate. Especially when I live about 4 hours from their corporate office.

Does this seem accurate?
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

I keep my soaps in separate bowls. I picked up some of the travel containers from Momma Bear http://bear-haven.com/Containers.html and they work great for storing most soaps.
Chris
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

RazorRamone wrote:Great idea. I immediately went to the site to order a half dozen.

Just over $5 dollars for 6 X 8 oz. amber jars and $20 to ship. This is unfortunate. Especially when I live about 4 hours from their corporate office.

Does this seem accurate?
Something is wrong. Bernd charged me $14 to ship from Germany. It arrived in two or three days and a package from England cost $14.50 for three-day delivery.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

drumana wrote:I usually spring for the wooden bowl that is offered with most soaps. I find it more aesthetically pleasing than a bunch of random mugs, bowls or whatever. I try to keep the shave dojo as zen, uniform and uncluttered as possible. 8)
+1

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau