ugly mug save soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
alcx77

ugly mug save soap

Post by alcx77 »

Recently ordered two bars of ugly mug save soap from Old Dominion Soap Company... Sandlewood and Bay Rum. Anyone have any experience with these soaps?

The ad says

Ugly Mug shaving soap is a premium, olive oil soap that wil help tackle the toughest facial hair and leave your skin smooth and moisturized. We add bentonite clay to give you a super close shave and help reduce razor bumps. Available in 6 scents.

How does bentonite clay improve the lather?
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

I have never tried Ugly Mug Soap so let us know how it works. I did try a local vendor's olive oil based soap and could not get a good lather from it. I think some soaps that are heavy on the olive oil may be harder to lather. Hopefully you will have better luck. I don't know if the bentonite clay improves the lather or just provides an extra "slickness" to the lather to help you have a closer shave.
Chris
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

classic shaving soaps have olive oil and bentonite, and i think slick is the word. I love those soaps but they don't give a real thick lather, but they give a really slick one.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

So the lather is slicker.... should be arriving any day now and I will check it out and post. An adventure of ongoing discovery this DE hobby.
Mr. Choo-Choo

Post by Mr. Choo-Choo »

I actually e-mailed these guys today asking about melting their soap to fit my containers. They indicated that it was better to grate them down, add a bit of water and then mold it into said container. I guess that's the better way to go with a cold-process as opposed to a glycerin-based soap you can melt down, but if anyone has further input as to methodology I will be glad to hear it.

Alcx, I look forward to hearing your review of this soap!
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

This soap is difficult to lather and when adding a cream does not form
a "super lather" as do most soaps but remains thin... However the
glide of the razor is improved and the after effects are wonderful. Very silky feel to the face when all is said and done.

Need to find a cream that will lather this
Steve

Post by Steve »

They have a new gylcerine soap. I have the bay rum and it lathers decently. The scent if really nice!

Steve
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

One solution I am considering is to shave with say Trumpers then use the olive oil soap for the clean up for the after effects
Steve

Post by Steve »

So I spoke to Carole and she should have her new line of glycerine shaving soaps online soon! She will have all the same scents as her other soap and these will be fortified with hempseed oil, which is very good for th skin!

I love the scent of her bayrum! The soap does not lather profusely but it enough to get a very close and comfortable shave!

Steve
AZShaver

Post by AZShaver »

Hempseed oil is good for the skin. It also helps calm the effects of mild psoriasis. I have some skin cream with hemp oil, if I catch the outbreak early, I can sometimes avoid the expensive prescription steroids.
Jim
Mr. Choo-Choo

Post by Mr. Choo-Choo »

Carole was nice enough to send me a complimentary puck of the Glycerine/Bay Rum soap to try out. It does indeed smell good and the lather is reasonable. Price is right, too, so I would not hesitate to recommend trying it out.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

What is the difference between a Glycerine product versus a regular
shaving soap?
alcx77

Re: ugly mug save soap

Post by alcx77 »

So after all these years an update. Have since purched 5 more pucks of this soap
which I use as a touch up soap after shaving with whatever I am experimenting with
at the time.