Best Sandalwood Shave Cream?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!

Which is the best shaving/smelling sandalwood shave cream?

Trumper
14%
Taylor of old Bond
27%
Truefitt and Hill
6%
Crabtree and Evelyn
10%
Caswell Massey
No votes
Vulfix
8%
Art of Shaving
14%
Cyril R. Salter
2%
other (please describe in post)
19%

Total votes: 63

jeftichew

Best Sandalwood Shave Cream?

Post by jeftichew »

I'm doing some research for a sandalwood freak friend of mine for a fitting shave cream. Which shave cream would you say gives the best shave and has the best scent?
not quite clean shaven
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Jeff, I voted for AOS. I would rate C&E second.
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Crabtree&Evelyn, with AOS a close second....
John P
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I have a couple of sandalwood soaps, but only one cream, Coates. It has never let me down, and has a great scent!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Evening, I also voted for Coate's. I've used all the sandalwood creams listed, and the Coate's is the very best, IMO. Trumpers would be a close second. Regards, Gordon
BillNJ

Post by BillNJ »

Coate's is my choice as well.

Bill
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I vote Coates as well...Very subtle yet pleasent scent, but the quality of shaves I get from it are above that of any other cream I've tried...Scent wise. my vote would be with trumpers
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Gents, I have coates sandalwood and I don't have the same experiences as the majority here.
designwise1

Post by designwise1 »

Coates Sandalwood in the tube? No way! I need to try it in the tub before I make a definite judgement...

Try Vulfix.
Gerald Martin
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

I like Vulfix Sandalwood. I have tried a sample and liked it very much. The scent is a little synthetic but pleasant nonetheless. It is on my list to buy.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Dang, I've tried all the Coates creams but sandalwood. All of them perform marvelously for me. I love Coates lavender and rose. Their almond is a bit light, but nice. Their lime smells too much like candy to me. And I dont' care for tea tree.

Guess I'll have to give Coates sandalwood a try, assuming I can still find some. Anybody have a tube for trade? I have a 2/3 full tube of Trumper Coconut oil that I'll swap for it.

I voted for the Vulfix sandalwood. Not sure if it's a real sandalwood scent -- it actually seems more of a "nutty" fragrance to me -- but it's very enjoyable.

Dave
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Austin wrote:Gents, I have coates sandalwood and I don't have the same experiences as the majority here.
Gents, I used Coates Sandalwood this morning. I had not used it in about 3 months so I thought I would give it another try. It lathered well and felt dense on my skin. Lubrication was not a problem. The scent was faint but good. I used my HD razor with a feather blade and got a good close shave. No nicks or cuts.

Overall, I would rate this cream as above average. I still prefer AOS and C&E over coates though.
jeftichew

Post by jeftichew »

good stuff to consider gentleman. thank you.
not quite clean shaven
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I'm putting in my vote for TOBS. :D
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
druphus

Post by druphus »

What is this the "Shaving Cream Time Machine"?

I'm going to say Coates, which wasn't even part of the poll in 2005, which is sick and wrong (only one of the many reasons to hate polls).
Regards,
Andy
Bob

Post by Bob »

I rather like Green Pond (which is really DR Harris).
--Bob--
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am a traditionalist -- George F. Trumper all the way for me.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
nelson

Post by nelson »

I voted for "other". Although the Taylor of Old Bond Street, Trumper, Salter, Truefit & Hill, and Crabtree & Evelyn sandalwood creams are fine products and worthy of consideration, my favorite is the Greenpond cream.

nelson
brothers

Post by brothers »

I went for Trumper's. Overall, I find that Sandalwood isn't my cup of tea, but I did enjoy all of the biggies. I found Greenpond and Taylor's the least appealing to me. I would have voted for Castle Forbes if this was a poll for Cedarwood/Sandalwood, but that would have been a very small number of candidates, wouldn't it?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
LeGaulois

Post by LeGaulois »

I vote AOS.