Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

Sticky: Soap and cream reviews

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!

D. R. Harris Soap

Postby notthesharpest » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 pm

This product comes in several different fragrances. I will let others describe the scents. Trust me, it's better that way. :) Choice of fragrance makes no appreciable difference in the shaving performance (I've tried all of them except the latest one).

Itemized review:

This product is close enough to perfect for me. IMO, choose a scent you like, and you're set.

Appearance: hard soap, optionally comes in a wooden bowl

Brush: yes (necessary) - predictable performance, easy to lather, if you make a mistake it's easy to figure out why

Lathers: beautifully

Moisturizes: close to neutral, neither drying nor greasy

Protection: excellent but not excessive (protects but still allows you to shave easily, not a rubbery cushion)

Lubrication: excellent - good balance between "slip" and "grip"

Efficacy: excellent

Endurance: very good to excellent

Rinsability: excellent

Fragrance: personal judgment; I like them all. Subjectively, to me, more "natural-seeming" fragrances than some other hard soap brands, even though the fragrances are of course synthetic

Few shaving products are as good as this, though I'm sure there are arguably-better soaps and creams available. You are highly likely to be satisfied with Harris soap, unless the scent doesn't agree with you. If that happens, you know who to call. :)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: Sticky: Soap and cream reviews

Postby brothers » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:11 am

Noxzema is cheap and good, for the reasons you outlined. I call it a nice and easy brushless cream for those occasions that don't seem all that common. Once in a while, Noxzema's just the ticket.
Gary
brothers

Postby Squire » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:39 am

Just a reminder gentlemen, this thread is intended for reviews only and comments should be placed elsewhere.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Postby churchilllafemme » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:32 am

Escence of Ginger Antique Sandalwood Shaving Soap

Escence of Ginger shaving soaps, as well as several other kinds of their soaps, are available at their web site and on Etsy. The products are made by a family business in Mississippi. The shaving soaps are made with goat milk and contain lanolin and tallow.

The product packaging is nothing fancy, just cellophane, but it does its job adequately. Upon opening, one notices the very light and pleasant sandalwood scent, which strengthens slightly with lathering but remains somewhat faint. The company recommends soaking the bar in warm water for a few minutes before lathering, which I did. I then built lather with a Rooney Finest. The lather was created fairly easily but was never really fluffy or copious. On my face, the lather faded away very quickly during each razor pass, providing very little cushion at all and requiring one reload of the brush. However, with a Feather AS-D2 and a Gillette Platinum Plus on its third use, the glide was very, very slick throughout.

Following the shave and a face rinse, my skin was very soft and nicely moisturized, and it stayed that way, probably due to the lanolin. There was very little if any residual scent on my skin. For some reason the lather residue was quite difficult to remove from the brush, requiring a lot more time and effort than usual, which was a little irritating.

Overall I would rate this soap as good but not great. Although not expensive at $10 shipped for a 3.8+ ounce bar, it also cannot really be called a wonderful bargain. I would say that it is a good choice for someone who likes or needs a very lightly scented soap and who has skin that tends toward dryness, because of the extremely good skin care.

I apologize for not taking a picture of the soap before opening the package and using it.
ImageImage
_______
John
churchilllafemme

Postby brothers » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:19 am

Harris Sandalwood Shaving Cream

1. Product name: D.R. Harris Sandalwood Shaving Cream
2. Country of origin: UK
3. Container size: 2.65 ounces (75 grams)
4. Price: $12.90
5. Cost per ounce: $4.87
6. Fragrance: Does it have a scent? Light and spicy Sandalwood
7. Texture: Describe the look and feel. Glossy and firm coming out of the tube.
8. Protective: Does it protect against razor burn and chafing? Yes
9. Lubrication: Is it slippery? Did it help the razor slide smoothly? Yes
10. Efficiency: Does it do what was expected to help me shave? Yes
11. Endurance: Does it require reapplication during or between passes? Yes, as is my normal procedure when lathering with the brush.
12. Washable: Does it wash off face & razor easily afterward? Yes
13. Moisturizing: Does it add/restore moisture? Yes
14. Time elapsed: How long did it take to shave, from prep to cleanup? 10 to 15 minutes. Quick to lather
15. Brush lather: Will a brush make it lather in a bowl? Yes
16. Brush cleanup: Does it easily rinse out of a brush? Yes
17. Enjoyment: Did I enjoy the shave? Yes
18. Remarks: Just what one expects from one of the best traditional purveyors of gentlemen's shaving products in the world. No complaints, Many positives. Several years past, I tried Harris-made GreenPond shaving cream, and I recall that the fragrance was noticeably overdone. With that in mind I didn't quite know what to expect from the new shaving cream from Harris. I couldn't be happier with it. It has a touch of spice, which seems exactly perfect. I admit I haven't been overly enthusiastic about the Sandalwood genre as a whole, but I am firmly enthusiastic about the D.R. Harris Sandalwood shaving cream.
Gary
brothers

Postby rbaloha » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:29 am

Harry's Shave Gel with $5.00 off and free shipping is the absolutely best cream or soap I have ever used.

Combined with essential wholesale shave jelly, Harry's provides a close non-irritating shave. Blade glides across the face like skating on an ice rink.

A small squirt on a silvertip provides quick beautiful lather. Face feels wonderful post shave. The ingredient list contains higher end stuff. Harry's easily beats any shave cream priced at 4-5 times greater. =D>

Suggest giving Harry's a shot. Big payoff at a low cost.
rbaloha

Postby Squire » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:40 pm

Another reminder, this thread is for reviews only. rbahola this is not directed at you, rather the deleted comments made after your post.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Postby brothers » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:48 pm

Krampert's Finest Shaving Soaps: Acadian Spice Bay Rum and Frostbite

1. Product name: Krampert's Finest Shaving Soap
a. Acadian Spice Bay Rum
b. Frostbite
2. Country of origin: USA - made by Seifenglatt
3. Container size: 6 ounces
4. Price: $22.99
5. Cost per ounce: $3.83
6. Fragrance: Does it have a scent? Identical to Krampert's Finest Aftershaves by the same names.
7. Texture: Describe the look and feel. Semi-soft soap
8. Protective: Does it protect against razor burn and chafing? Yes
9. Lubrication: Is it slippery? Did it help the razor slide smoothly? Yes, slick
11. Endurance: Does it require reapplication during or between passes? Yes, as is my normal procedure when lathering with the brush.
13. Moisturizing: Does it add/restore moisture? Yes
14. Time elapsed: How long did it take to shave, from prep to cleanup? 10 to 15 minutes. Quick to lather
15. Brush lather: Will a brush make it lather in a bowl? Yes, tight and abundant lather
16. Brush cleanup: Does it easily rinse out of a brush? Yes
17. Enjoyment: Did I enjoy the shave? Yes
18. Remarks: An excellent soap, non-tallow formula, simple ingredient list (5) not counting fragrance. Doesn't dissipate on the face. Seifenglatt makes a good soap, and when combined with Brian Krampert's well-known aftershave fragrances, the results are enjoyable. The Frostbite version is menthol. After being on my face for a few moments, the menthol cooling starts and remains cold throughout the shave. There's no menthol in the Acadian Spice Bay Rum, just the rich and effectively spiced Bay Rum scent that is specific to Krampert's. The soap bursts into lather even with my hard water, and I'll probably limit loading time to 15 seconds on the soap before going to the lather bowl. No complaints, Many positives. I am impressed by the slickness and overall effective performance of this soap in both products.
Gary
brothers

Dr. Dittmar Shaving Soap

Postby kronos9 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:35 am

Full name: Dr. Dittmar Shaving Soap - Spezial Rasierseife

I was looking for a soap to use in the upcoming warmer months, preferably with a light to imperceptible scent. This fit the bill perfectly. This review is based on my first shave with the product.

Country of origin: Germany
Scent: Extremely light and pleasant
Type: Vegetable-based, non-tallow
Ingredients: Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua, Glycerin, Palm Kernel Acid, Sesamum Indicum Oil, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Pentasodium Pentate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Linalool (source: Bullgoose Shaving Supplies)

Testing equipment: Kent BK4, Gillette Z3 Flare-tip Super Speed, 7 O'Clock Yellow on its fifth use

Lathering: Required about the same amount of water as my DRH Marlborough. Bowl-lathered until the brush was loaded with enough for three passes. Lather was stable and slick. Enough cushion to protect without hydroplaning.
Cleanup: Lather rinsed off my face and from the brush easily.
Skin care: I had washed my face in the shower and there was no additional drying from the soap. No burning or irritation.
Recommended?: Ja, ausgezeichnet!
Ed
kronos9

Review - Pre de Provence #63 Shaving Soap

Postby brothers » Tue May 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Pre de Provence #63 Shaving Soap

1. Product name: Pre de Provence #63 shaving soap
2. Country of origin: France
3. Container size: 5.25 oz., 150 g
4. Price: $16.00
5. Cost per ounce: $3.05 per oz.
6. Fragrance: Does it have a scent? Masculine fragrance with a peppery, citrus top note rounded by woody cedar wood, juicy plum and violet leaves that finish into an ambery base of leather and tobacco.
7. Texture: Describe the look and feel. Quad-milled Hard soap in a metal screw top tin
8. Protective: Does it protect against razor burn and chafing? Very protective
9. Lubrication: Is it slippery? Did it help the razor slide smoothly? Very slick.
11. Endurance: The lather does not dissipate in the bowl or in the brush between passes
13. Moisturizing: Does it add/restore moisture? Very well. Does not dry the face. The post face feel is super smooth and almost powdery. Excellent.
14. Brush lather: Will a brush make it lather in a bowl? I loaded for 15-20 seconds and it exploded into an excellent lather. No difficulty with hard water.
15. Brush cleanup: Does it easily rinse out of a brush? Yes
16. Remarks: Clearly a top shelf shaving soap product. #63 has a fragrance that has received many positive reviews. I enjoy it a lot. I am considering buying the AS balm. They also offer this fragrance in a brushless shaving cream in a metal tube. I'm also considering buying one of those for days when time or space is limited, such as when traveling. I have no negatives to report. The price is mid-range and performance is tops. This is a great value in a quad-milled shave soap. After having used other French soaps (MdC, Provence Sante, Institut Karite, L'Occitane Cade and Monsavon), based on fragrance, price, and performance (slickness, lather, and fragrance are my personal high-expectation points) I honestly prefer Pre de Provence #63.
Gary
brothers

3 Reviews in one - Myrsol, Strop Shoppe, & Gron Lycka

Postby brothers » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Shaving Treasure x 3 with superior performance

Recently, I have been curious about these soaps, so I found them and now have them in my possession.

The performance of these soaps feels a bit like going for a spontaneous hike in the desert and stumbling onto the Lost Dutchman gold mine of shaving soap. The lather is the shiny, non-sudsy or bubbly thick and rich cushiony and slick meringue that does not dissipate. The best way to load the brush (for me) is the most obvious and most simple. I run some hot tap water into the open tub, just a tablespoon or so, then I gently swirl the completely dry brush on the surface for about 15 to 20 seconds. Then I move the loaded brush to my lather bowl, only adding tiny shots of water as needed. I don't face-lather it. The first few days I started out using too much water, scooping soap out and trying to load the brush. That was sloppy and runny, but the over-wet lather still seemed to perform just fine, even with too much water. The lathers of these 3 soaps are almost identical, even though the ingredient lists are quite dissimilar. Addressing all 3 of these soaps the lather seems like the pot of gold at the end of my own little rainbow in my opinion.

Myrsol Crema de Afeitar Con Lanolina Para Afeitar Con Brocha --- The gentleman who founded Myrsol, made in Spain, recently died at an advanced age, and evidently left behind a little-known gem for me to enjoy. This is a firm non-tallow soap that comes in an enormous 1,000 gr tub. I think it is called the "barber barrel". The post-shave skin feel is quite smooth and pleasing; the cushion and slickness (my opinion) are superior. Myrsol's scent is mild and unremarkable, nondescript, neither good nor bad, smells fresh but not perfumy. After the shave, my skin feels so smooth to the touch that I almost said "I can't feel my fingers!". It feels powdery smooth to the touch. This is a fact. This stuff is so hard to find I was afraid it had been discontinued --- of course! I have a hunch that this product might be commonly available in Spain, for use by barber shops, for example, just not catching on around the other parts of the world who depend on the english speaking interweb. Myrsol Crema de Afeitar is NOT the Myrsol Shaving Lotion! The Lotion is not worth buying, in my opinion. I would avoid it at all costs. When I decided to find the soap, I located it at two retail internet webstores. Smallflower was out of stock last time I checked. I found my giant tub of shaving soap treasure at Gifts & Care, located in Spain.

Strop Shoppe Shaving Soap --- Since 2012, located about 25 miles from me, in Norman, OK. A treasure that was right in front of me, but I failed to see it until now. It's received positive reviews on the shaving forums but I had not purchased or used it until just recently. I may be slow, but thank goodness I finally got around to buying some of their soap. I have absolutely no connection with this vendor or product. This is a superior tallow shaving soap that lathers in the outstanding manner I have described above. Strop Shoppe leaves the skin feeling powdery and ultra soft and smooth, as does the Myrsol. Cushiony and slick, as well. Comes is a variety of well-formulated masculine scents that indicate someone has a real talent for creating fragrances. Shipping is lightning fast, and Strop Shoppe gives a discount to military and veterans, upon request. I ordered 4 fragrances, and they kindly gave me samples of two others. My communications with the vendor have gone smoothly and without delay.

Gron Lycka Old Fashion Whipped Shaving Soap Handmade in Sweden by Carina. This non-tallow shaving soap contains a variety of products that are skin-healthy, and yields yet another superior lathering soap. Super slick and cushioning, the protective lather seems to enhance the performance of the razor and blade in the same manner as the two soaps listed above. The fragrance is a pleasant mild lemon scent. Leaves the skin feeling soft and smooth. The term shaving treasure definitely applies. This soap comes in a 250ml tub. Carina accepts Paypal and her customer service is exemplary, just as the two other vendors listed above.

Learning about and experiencing all of these three soaps from around the world has been a very informative and fulfilling experience for me. I will readily recommend each of these soaps without reservation.

Gary
brothers

Postby BeatlesFan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:52 am

Rasoline by Molinard (Brushless Shave Cream):

I'm a big fan of brushless creams. For me, they are actually less likely to make my fussy face red than most lathering creams and soaps. I don't use them exclusively, but I do like them, so I was excited to check out Rasoline, from the storied French firm of Molinard in Grasse.

I fully realize that most SMF gents prefer lathering shave creams over brushless. Nevertheless, even if you just like to have a brushless in your bathroom cabinet for occasional use (or perhaps for travel), I can highly recommend Rasoline. Very good product, IMO.

Scent: Classic, old-timey. Interestingly, despite a high almond oil content, the scent doesn't seem almond-like at all.

Price: I think I paid $15 at Lee's Razors: not cheap but hardly extortionate.

Performance: I was very impressed. I started with a hot shower, and face-washing. I followed that up with splashing some more warm water on my face at the sink. Then I squeezed a couple of decent-sized dollops in my hands and spread the cream into my beard. I worked it into my beard for a couple of minutes and then shaved.

The cream stayed moist and effective through a pretty thorough close shave. The glide was excellent, as was the protection. My face felt good after shaving, with no rawness whatsoever. With all the almond oil in the product, I'd been wondering about the "rinse" factor, but I found that it rinsed off cleanly, with no greasy residue at all.

I noted from one online review that at least one gent felt that his razor gummed up with this stuff, but I didn't find that. Brushless creams are always a bit more prone to leaving creamy debris on your blades. I find rinsing under fast-running water to be a big help, and (if necessary) quickly popping the blade out for a more thorough rinse. Anyway, it wasn't a big deal with this cream, IMO.

All in all, it's definitely a thumbs up for me. Recommended.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BeatlesFan

Previous

Return to Shaving Creams & Hard Soaps