D R Harris Cream and Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fisherc

D R Harris Cream and Soap

Post by fisherc »

1. How does DR Harris cream compare to Trumper/Taylor ? And can anyone describe the "Arlington" fragrance ? Is it similar to anything in the Trumper or Taylor cream range ?

2. How does Arlington shave soap compare to Almond shave soap ?

And for those who have used both do you prefer the shave soap or the cream ? And is the scent, of whatever "flavor", more pronounced in the cream or the shave soap ?

Thanks,
Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Well, I responded to some of this via PM, but I'll tackle some that I didn't. Like with most of the other top shelf shaving ranges, the scent of the Harris's creams tends to be a shade more pronounced with the creams. However, the difference in intensity is less then with some other lines. Their shave soaps are quite fragrant, I think, but always in a muted gentlemanly way, never loud. Arlington has a mostly lime top note, with a slight fougere middle note, and a dry down that has an almost soft, powdery quality ( musk, a tiny bit of vanilla even, maybe? ). These notes are more perceivable in the cologne then in the shave products, which tend to come across as more 'citrusy'. It's a nice, discreet, very 'English' sort of scent. Actually, I'm a little surprised that for someone who has sampled some of the most esoteric and hard to get stuff, that you've somehow managed to bypass Harris's for this long. Regards, Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hi Chris,

I have/use both soap and cream in Trumpers and Harris. In a direct comparison between the Harris Almond soap and cream I slightly prefer the soap. It should also be noted that I usually prefer soaps as they give me a fractionally closer shave.

Comparing the Trumper and Harris Almond cream they are so close in performance about the only the difference is scent. The density and latherability is so similar if I didn't see which tube it came out of I couldn't notice a difference by lather alone.

Of course a decision like this is so important I suggest you get one of each so as to make the experiment complete.
Regards,
Squire
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Gordon:

I've tried the Harris Lavender (cream and soap stick) but it's been ages ago. In fact, when I first tried Harris it was at the recommendation of Eric Malka. This was back when AOS was just a retailer of fine English products and had no "in house" line. Eric's opinion was the Harris Lavender was the "best" and most "gentle"/non-irritating shave cream around. It's been so long ago I have forgotten what it was like.

Re Arlington, if lime is the predominant tone does it have the same "astringency" typical of most "lime" creams ?

Thanks,
Chris
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Thansk Squire. How would you compare the almond "fragrance" of Harris vs. Trumper cream ?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Ah yes, back in the days when Art of Shaving was a neat little Manhattan shop selling Harris's, Taylors, and Joris shave soap. Sigh, those were the days......cough....a..yes...Arlington. No, no astringincy that I was aware of. It's not a straight lime cream. The old Harris's Cologne cream may have been slightly so, I never got around to trying it, while I still could have. Regards, Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Morning Chris,

Scent is so subjective. For me the Harris is dryer with the Trumper ever so slightly sweeter with about the same level of intensity for both. I notice the same thing with the sandalwood colonges put out by the same Houses.
Regards,
Squire
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Gordon, Chris, Arlington is my favorite scent from DR Harris. In some ways, it even reminds me a little of the scent of Williams soap. It didn't used to but now it does. I shaved with it yesterday, and I believe I detected a little of that clean, pleasant barbershop-like scent. I also have the almond cream from Harris, and I enjoy it.

Jeff
designwise1

Post by designwise1 »

I am shaving twice a day now, trying to sample everything!!

This evening I shaved with D.R. Harris Almond from a tube. Very almond extract smell. Yum. The shave was excellent, as well.

I cannot compare this to Trumper because I haven't tried Trumper's almond yet. However, I have tried Coate's almond 3 or 4 times and I definitely prefer the Harris version.

Hope this helps,

Gerald
Gerald Martin
stuff495

Post by stuff495 »

The Arlington scent smells a heck of a lot like Williams shaving soap. That's the best I can do, sorry :).

I've never used both (although I've handled both), but I believe that the almond and Arlington shaving soaps are the same except for the scent. DR Harris soaps make an absolutely fantastic lather, but if I'm using a straight razor instead of a DE they irritate my skin because of how long the lather stays on.

If you are deciding between a DR Harris soap or cream I would say go with the soap, because (IMHO) their soaps are among the top 3.

--Vincent
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

I'm jonsin to place an order direct from Harris but the damn exchange rate is killing me. I still haven't tried any of their creams and soaps but I really want to sample their body products. Heard very good things.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clark, Yeah, for anyone with a taste for traditional grooming goods, or simply grooming goods of superlative quality, D R Harris is about as good as it gets. There are only a VERY few firms who are argueably their equal for this sort of thing. Their products have always been rare, and rather pricey in the US, even before the current exchange rate problem. Interestingly, in England, they seem to be a bit less expensive then Trumpers or T&H. Personally, I'm especially keen not only on their aftershave products ( Milk and Pink ), but on their cologne waters as well. They are probably too light and understated for your taste though. But any traditional shaver is almost bound to appreciate their shave creams and shave soaps. The soaps, especially, are a cut above even most of the other top shelf English purveyors. Absolutely superb. You might check with Nashville Knife for the creams and soaps. If they have any left, their prices have always been the best on the internet, as far as I know. Good luck in your search. Regards, Gordon
verve

Post by verve »

clarkkent333 wrote:I'm jonsin to place an order direct from Harris but the damn exchange rate is killing me. I still haven't tried any of their creams and soaps but I really want to sample their body products. Heard very good things.
Does D.R. Harris have an "official" website? If so, I've never been able to find it by "googling". Does anyone have the URL?

On the subject of Arlington shave cream, I would describe this as a light, fresh, citrus-smelling shave cream with overtones of lime. I haven't smelled any cream from Trumper or Taylor's that is really like it. (I have all of the Trumper's shave creams, and about half of all the Taylor's). Arlington is certainly a more complex scent than, say, Trumper's Limes or Taylor's Lemon and Lime. Yet the scent has a lovely lightness to it, and is never too sweet. Arlington is one of my all time favorite shave creams. I especially enjoy using it during hotter weather. Very refreshing!

Arlington shave cream will give you a shave that, in terms of quality, is on par with Trumper's and Taylor's creams, in my experience. It's a very high-quality product. I'll certainly be restocking when I finish my current tube.
verve

Post by verve »

clarkkent333 wrote:I'm jonsin to place an order direct from Harris but the damn exchange rate is killing me. I still haven't tried any of their creams and soaps but I really want to sample their body products. Heard very good things.
Does D.R. Harris have an "official" website? If so, I've never been able to find it by "googling". Does anyone have the URL?

On the subject of Arlington shave cream, I would describe this as a light, fresh, citrus-smelling shave cream with overtones of lime. I haven't smelled any cream from Trumper or Taylor's that is really like it. (I have all of the Trumper's shave creams, and about half of all the Taylor's). Arlington is certainly a more complex scent than, say, Trumper's Limes or Taylor's Lemon and Lime. Yet the scent has a lovely lightness to it, and is never too sweet. Arlington is one of my all time favorite shave creams. I especially enjoy using it during hotter weather. Very refreshing!

Arlington shave cream will give you a shave that, in terms of quality, is on par with Trumper's and Taylor's creams, in my experience. It's a very high-quality product. I'll certainly be restocking when I finish my current tube.
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

verve,
Here is the website:

http://www.drharris.co.uk/drharris.htm

Post by gruffydd3 »

Verve,
Here'e the address: www.drharris.co.uk

Clark,
Even with today's exchange rate, it's almost always less expensive to buy from the U.K .than U.S. sites. Keep in mind that the prices on the Harris website include 17.5% VAT. This will be deducted when you place your order. As long as it's shipped by mail there's no duty to pay. I recently got my order from them in 5 days delivered here by USPS. The Gentlemen's shop also has good prices on the Arlington range.
Rick
verve

Post by verve »

Hugo and Gruffydd3. Gents - many thanks for the link to DR Harris.

I didn't realise DR Harris' had their own website until reading this thread. (And that's in spite of several searches on Google). This link's a very worthwhile addition to the "favorites" on my browser!

Gruffydd3 - I agree with you that it's generally better value to buy from UK than US grooming sites for the sort of products you and I obviously enjoy. All of my current shaving paraphenalia has come from UK sites (I live in Sydney, so I benefit from the 17.5% VAT deduction). The DR Harris stuff I've bought in the past (Arlington shave cream, Arlington cologne) has come from The Gentleman's Shop and Edwin Jagger's excellent online store.

Cheers

Verve
Tim

Post by Tim »

Bought my first harris shaving cream yesterday......almond ( even though i asked for lavender...cheers guys lol)....Got a very good shave from it...but i don't like the almond fragrance. Too 'pie-ish'

Tim
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Tim, try the Arlington scented shaving cream from DR Harris, it's great.

Jeff
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

gruffydd3 wrote:
Clark,
Even with today's exchange rate, it's almost always less expensive to buy from the U.K .than U.S. sites. Keep in mind that the prices on the Harris website include 17.5% VAT. This will be deducted when you place your order. As long as it's shipped by mail there's no duty to pay. I recently got my order from them in 5 days delivered here by USPS. The Gentlemen's shop also has good prices on the Arlington range.
Rick
Oh don't I know it. It's just the last week or so the exchange rate took a spike up and it's stayed there. I'm just waiting for it to dip down again. I want to place a big big order so I might as well get the most for my money. If only they were headquartered in Singapore.