Trumpers Rose

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Trumpers Rose

Post by fallingwickets »

For more than a year now (had to go search the sotd just to make sure....it doesn't seem that long)I have been using only trumpers rose soap.

What is amazing about this is that every time I lather up I have the same AH-HA moment that I did when I used the rose soap for the very first time.

There is a quite popular Seinfeld episode wherein george wishes he could surround himself in velvet:

George: I love it! This is fantastic! Look at this couch, is this velvet?!

Bonnie: Are you a velvet fan?

George: A fan? I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable.
And look at this, hardwood floors!

http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheLabelMaker.html

I feel the same way about trumpers rose soap! I wish I could cover myself in the stuff.

OK, I'm off to the mental institution for a long overdue check up

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Mattinnc

Any Warmth from Using ??

Post by Mattinnc »

Hi Clive,

I really like this soap also, but I stopped using it because my face starts getting a little flushed when using it. I may have a mild allergic reaction to it.

Did you ever have this experience ... and if you did, did it disappear on its own ??

Thanks,

Matt
ubuntu

Re: Any Warmth from Using ??

Post by ubuntu »

Mattinnc wrote:Hi Clive,

I really like this soap also, but I stopped using it because my face starts getting a little flushed when using it. I may have a mild allergic reaction to it.

Did you ever have this experience ... and if you did, did it disappear on its own ??

Thanks,

Matt
It s kind of strange because usually rose scented creams or soap are meant to be gentle on the skin, have you tried the cream or TOBS rose cream,?
"The" Max
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

So how long does a puck of rose last?
Richard
Mattinnc

Post by Mattinnc »

OOOPs,

I made a mistake, I was referring to rose shaving creams .... and I have both TOBS and T & H.

I'll try them again, maybe I was just having a bad "Shave Day" when I used them.

Matt
drumana

Post by drumana »

I've had that experience with GFT Sandalwood SS, Tabac and MWF, depending on my mood... also some colognes, most notably Floris No.89 and GFT Spanish Leather...

I still haven't gotten a hold of the GFT Rose soap... looking forward to the day that I do!
-Andrew-
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, Well, as you know, shaving products is one area, unlike razors, blades, and A/S, where I don't practice 'fidelity'. But I respect that you do...it's kind of neat. I remember when this new member joined a couple years back. He lived in Britain and he said that for years he'd used a Kent BK brush and Trumpers Rose soap, and I posted back that I thought that he was already 'there'.....ie, he was using really top shelf stuff already. Then some vendor talked him into buying creams that were twice as expensive, and a brush that was double in cost as well, and I think he had the better stuff to start with....sigh. Yeah, Trumper's Rose soap is superb. I still have a cake of the old style tallow stuff, but the newer ones are just about as good. A lovely, very traditional, product; one that has not been lowered in quality or otherwise compromised. If one is going to use just one product, you certainly made an excellent choice. I just used mine today, in fact.
Regards,
Gordon
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Rose and Limes are the only Trumper's soaps I don't have. I need to remedy this, I think.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

So how long does a puck of rose last?
Richard

I don't shave every day, but I'm still using the original puck I bought back in early '07 and there is still plenty left, so I guess my answer is: I don't know :lol:

Clive
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Clive, yes, the Trumper Rose is a favorite of mine as well. I don't buy a lot of soaps in the wooden bowl (having lathered soaps in coffee cups for years...er, decades), but I actually splurged and got the Rose in the bowl.

Unlike many other "reformulated" products, this stuff is really superb. I also have three or four other Trumper soaps, but the Rose is an understated favorite that blends well with just about anything (AS, colognes, etc.).
Lynn
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

rustyblade wrote:So how long does a puck of rose last?
A true shavegeek will never know that answer. I haven't run out yet on any puck of soap. My first good one was the T&H Luxury and it still has a long way to go yet to run out. :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Nitrox wrote:
rustyblade wrote:So how long does a puck of rose last?
A true shavegeek will never know that answer. I haven't run out yet on any puck of soap. My first good one was the T&H Luxury and it still has a long way to go yet to run out. :lol:
I'm so disappointed, I was relying on Clive to say "a puck of Trumpers used every day lasts X months." Only the shavers of old such as Gordon can answer this, but Gordon has a partial beard so he can't be trusted for accuracy.
Richard
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

rustyblade wrote:...but Gordon has a partial beard so he can't be trusted for accuracy.
Gordon has a beard??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
笑う門に福来る。
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

rustyblade wrote: but Gordon has a partial beard so he can't be trusted for accuracy.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

ZethLent wrote:
rustyblade wrote:...but Gordon has a partial beard so he can't be trusted for accuracy.
Gordon has a beard??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm sorry you had to find out this way. :lol:
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Balderdash! The area I have 'bearded' is not large enough to use up a significent amount more lather. When I did two passes a cake of Trumpers soap would last me about six months. Using more....a....high intensity brushes as I do today, and doing three passes, it might be a tad less.....say five months if used every single day.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Richard

I feel so bad that I let you down. How could I ever make it up to you?? LOL

Clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

that brings all the ladies running.
from your mouth to G-d's ears HAHAHAHA

Clive
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I've been suspecting that Gordon may be a secret agent of our arch-nemesis, http://www.beards.org.
Richard
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

We should ask Mr. Owl. I bet he will know.
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde