DR Harris Marlborough...

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Martin

DR Harris Marlborough...

Post by Martin »

How do people describe "Marlborough" as a scent as ive never heard of it?. Is the Marlborough the best performing of the Harris creams re latherability and moisturisation etc?.

Thanks
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

I think it's a variation on sandlewood.

I've used a sample of the Marlboro shaving soap and it is terrific. Haven't tried the cream.
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

The Marlboro soap, to my nose, has a definite smokey scent mixed in with the sandalwood. I've read that it has tobacco and cedar but my nose isn't that good. It's very strong but I like it. And since it's a D.R. Harris soap, it works superbly. The scent doesn't stick around after you rinse off.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I don't think the variation in Harris scents make any difference in the efficacy (I never used this word in my life before I joined this forum).

As described above it is a smokey sandalwood. Think leather bound books, smokey rooms, thick old dark oak panels, tweed, pipes, Gordon, a small fire in the hearth, and cognac on a lovely chilly late fall day.

I like it.
Richard
drumana

Post by drumana »

rustyblade wrote:I don't think the variation in Harris scents make any difference in the efficacy (I never used this word in my life before I joined this forum).

As described above it is a smokey sandalwood. Think leather bound books, smokey rooms, thick old dark oak panels, tweed, pipes, Gordon, a small fire in the hearth, and cognac on a lovely chilly late fall day.

I like it.
Ya' had to sneak that in, huh? :lol:

The way you guys are describing Harris Marlborough makes me realize that this soap, too, shall be mine.
-Andrew-
wayne06

Post by wayne06 »

drumana wrote:
rustyblade wrote:I don't think the variation in Harris scents make any difference in the efficacy (I never used this word in my life before I joined this forum).

I like it.
Ya' had to sneak that in, huh? :lol:

The way you guys are describing Harris Marlborough makes me realize that this soap, too, shall be mine.
You guys crack me up!!!! :)
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I like it.
:lol: :lol: Richard, how do you know how Gordon smells like? :lol:
Seriously, I love my Harris Marlborough soap, the scent is very, very pleasing.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
UsherLincoln

Post by UsherLincoln »

D.R. Harris is one of the few companies I haven't boughten from, but have always wanted to try. I think I am going to request a handful of samples and try it out. Marlborough is one of the scents I have always been intrigued with, perhaps I'll end up picking up a bottle after reading these reviews.
-Lincoln

"Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee..."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah, Richard described it perfectly ( chuckle ), and no, the efficacy of their products do not vary with the scents.
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Have heard that the cream is distinctly less good than the older Harris products. If you go for the soap, you will be getting the best of the best for certain.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

David, It seems that a lot of their newer creams are not up to snuff, not just the Marlborough. Personally, I wouldn't buy any of them at this time unless I could examine them in person. As you say, the old style pots ( which, of course, do not include Marlborough ) and the hard soaps are all excellent quality-wise.
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Yes, do yourself a favour and skip the creams and go straight for the soaps. That way you know you are getting the best.
Richard
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

I don't know if the D.R. Harris Marlborough soap that I bought was unusual or not, but I found the scent to be nice but very muted--not nearly as strong as their Lavender or Almond. I ended up trading it for another soap.
Danny
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Cigar Dan wrote:I don't know if the D.R. Harris Marlborough soap that I bought was unusual or not, but I found the scent to be nice but very muted--not nearly as strong as their Lavender or Almond. I ended up trading it for another soap.
I find my Marlborough to be the strongest scented of all my Harris soaps. It is nearly at Tabac intensity.
Richard
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I think the intensity of my Marlborough soap is the same as the other Harris soaps (which is to say potent without being overwhelming), but the type of scent it is (Richard nailed the description, btw) makes it seem slightly stronger. It is a brilliant scent, one of my favorites, and nearly enough to get me to sell off my Trumper sandalwood (nearly).

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
goose

Post by goose »

Arlington is another top-notch scent worth checking out. It's kind of a mix of limes and fern. One of my favorites.

Clint
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah, Clint, you would have loved Harris's old 'Cologne' scented soap and cream. It was kind of inbetween Arlington and their Almond. I really wish they hadn't discontinued it.
Regards,
Gordon
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

rustyblade wrote:
Cigar Dan wrote:I don't know if the D.R. Harris Marlborough soap that I bought was unusual or not, but I found the scent to be nice but very muted--not nearly as strong as their Lavender or Almond. I ended up trading it for another soap.
I find my Marlborough to be the strongest scented of all my Harris soaps. It is nearly at Tabac intensity.
That certainly wasn't the case with mine. :(
Danny
yayavarman

Post by yayavarman »

goose wrote:Arlington is another top-notch scent worth checking out. It's kind of a mix of limes and fern. One of my favorites.

Clint
I actually thought it smelled like those cheap towels they hand out on airplanes to wash your hands. Just smelled cheap and like chemicals.
goose

Post by goose »

yayavarman wrote:
goose wrote:Arlington is another top-notch scent worth checking out. It's kind of a mix of limes and fern. One of my favorites.

Clint
I actually thought it smelled like those cheap towels they hand out on airplanes to wash your hands. Just smelled cheap and like chemicals.
I have only used the Arlington shave cream, so that could be why I was experiencing it differently, but there were reports of Harris soaps in Almond and Lavender that had the same chemical smell to it. Personally, I haven't had any Harris product that smelled like chemicals.

Gordon, the old soap sounds suberb as I really like their Almond as well.

Clint