T&H, Taylor's, and local vendors

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
elixr

T&H, Taylor's, and local vendors

Post by elixr »

As I'm new to DE shaving (just received my first brush, razor, etc. today), I'm interested in trying some T&H and / or Taylor's shave soap - but I'm not really interested in ordering a bunch of tubs online.

Is there a national chain that carries these soaps, where I can go and smell them before deciding to buy? Or perhaps someone knows a local store here in new Jersey or NYC?
goose

Post by goose »

Nordstrom's sometimes carries T&H, but if you can make your way to NYC you are in luck as you will have more shaving supplies available locally than anyone else in the country. Pasteur Pharmacy and Cambridge Chemists will be a good starting point. I know there are some others that some natives will be able to give you as well.

Clint
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

elixer, In most areas of the US, you're out of luck. As was said, Nordstroms is the only national 'chain' store that has anything of this kind. And not all their locations stock the T&H, and never the hard soap, only some of the creams. Outside of a few larger cities, and a few other locales, most American members have no alternative but to mail order. Art of Shaving products are a bit easier to find on the local level...at least the creams are. They're not bad, but are not as good, IMO, as T&H or Taylors. However, if you can get into the City, you're home free. It's ALL available there. Your first stop ( as their prices are the best ) should be Pasteur's Pharmacy, either on 34th St. between Madison and Park, or on Lexington Ave. near 62nd St. They also stock some Simpson brushes and several kinds of DE blades these days.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superbleu

Post by superbleu »

the shaving den has some soaps they sell as samplers.
Give a friendly nudge to the guys at shavingessentials.net, they may come out with a soap sampler somewhere in the near future, they already have a sampler set of all the TOBS creams available for sale. It's not on the website, you have to email or call about it.