Shave Soap purpose?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
elixr

Shave Soap purpose?

Post by elixr »

So at first I thought that shave soap was a replacement for shaving cream - but now I'm not sure, and I don't see a thread on it, so I thought I'd ask:

What exactly is shave soap for? Are you supposed to actually shave with it, or just clean your face with it and shave with cream?

I suspect you can shave with it, since it sometimes comes in bowls.
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I note that you are a relative newcomer here, so welcome.

Shave soap is for shaving. It is NOT intended as a "pre-shave wash." Rather, you scrub the puck of soap with a brush, and then develop a lather.

There is a range of styles about how and where to work up the lather, but here's some general pointers:

1) Most guys seem to feel that they do best by first soaking the brush, then draining it (either upside down, or perhaps squeezing it out gently).

2) You can then scrub the brush over the soap puck until the brush is loaded. How many scrub swirls you need depends on a lot of factors (water softness, type of soap, type of brush, etc.), but I generally work the puck for a few dozen swirls.

3) In the next step you have choices. You can lather in a bowl. You can lather in the palm of your non-brush hand. Or you can lather directly on your face. In any case, the goal is to develop a nice thick lather.

4) Note that, during lather development, you made need to add back in a few drops of water to get it to work up well.

All this takes some practice and experimentation. It's well worth it however; there are some lovely soap products out there that deliver outstanding shaves.

You might take a look at some of the sticky posts in the "Soaps and Creams" section about lathering.

Good luck with your shaving, and feel free to ask any shaving questions here.
goose

Post by goose »

Your first thought is correct, shave soap is a replacement for shaving cream. The lather generated from a high-quality shave soap can be very similar to that of a shave cream, the only difference is the lather has a little less cushion. While there are some members who use creams or soaps exclusively, most of us here have both in our rotation.

Clint
elixr

Post by elixr »

I asked because I bought a soap and a cream at C&E to try each and see which works better for me, then I saw a post about shave soaps softening the outside of the hairs allowing water to get into them, making them easier to cut.

At any rate, thanks for the response!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Cream and soap both do that, that's part of their purpose.

Shaving cream (the good kind anyway) is simply a soap that isn't hard.
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

Just my personal opinion here. Creams seemed to be easier to work with for me until I got my shaving "ritual" down. They seem to be more forgiving when working up a lather. Your milage may vary though. Hope this helps.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I wouldn't say that creams are easier to work with than soaps, but rather that soaps take a bit longer to lather and are a bit more particular about the water/soap ratio, that's all.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

soaps tend to give a slightly closer shave than creams, but again, YMMV.
JEFF
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Shaving soap came first preceding shaving cream by hundreds of years.
Regards,
Squire