Favorite Soaps?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
goose

Post by goose »

It gets discussed so often that we often forget new members won't know the acronym. MWF=Mitchell's Wool Fat which is also sold as Kent shave soap.

Clint
DCLawyer

Post by DCLawyer »

goose wrote:It gets discussed so often that we often forget new members won't know the acronym. MWF=Mitchell's Wool Fat which is also sold as Kent shave soap.

Clint
Thanks - I get most of them, but that one eluded me probably because I haven't seen it, but it seems very popular.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

Boyextraordinare i think you should find trumpers coconut oil soap very much the same as the cream i get the same lather as feel form the soap as i do with the cream

marc
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

DC, Be aware that the QED soaps ( or anything similiar ) will lather easily, but it won't give your skin much protection. The triple milled soaps like Trumpers will provide a heavier richer lather, more similiar to a good cream. Just so you know.
Regards,
Gordon
goose

Post by goose »

One other thing to consider. While some love MWF, it can be difficult to lather well if you don't have good quality water. The lather I got from it was not as good as the other soaps I mentioned or the T&H Luxury soap.

Clint
Steve

Post by Steve »

DC,

I agree with Gordon about the QED soaps. They offer less protection but I get a closer shave. My skin just seems to be fine with it! I uses a Vision Razor wide open and the QED does not present any problems. It's also slicker than triple milled soaps.

Of course the real reason I like QED soaps, is the fantastic essential oil scents! The triple milled soaps that I use do offer thicker lather that protects better so if that's your priority, go with it.

Steve
OneRand

Post by OneRand »

The Gentleman's Quarter makes excellent soaps.
-Roman
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

MWF is my top soap (surprise, surprise!)
Next would be Valbora and Palmolive Shave Sticks both on a pretty even base for me.

But that's also because I don't own any TOBS or Trumpers.

:D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i have found mwf and even with others they can lather well if you live in a hard water area all you need do is keep the brush on the drier side of wet i guess damp is the word

then i have no problem at all getting soaps to lather real nice
mwf included

marc
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I reach for Trumper and Harris soaps more often than not. T&H soap is also good, and I like the L'Occitane soap quite a bit, but it barely gets a look in compared to the Trumper and Harris.

I have tried, many times, to like MWF, but it just never seems to knock me dead like the others.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

Sorry to say, C-M's just not what it once was.

My favorite soaps:
AOS
Valobra almond
Institute Karite

I wanted to like the Harris almond, but something in it doesn't like me. :(
-Ed
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ed, Unfortunately, you're not the only one who's had that experiance. I recently received a PM from an experianced member who has the same problem, and I've had a touch of it myself. But neither he, nor I, have had any such issues with the Trumper soaps, so, if you haven't already, you might give them a try.
Regards,
Gordon
JimR

Post by JimR »

jww wrote:MWF is my top soap (surprise, surprise!)
Next would be Valbora and Palmolive Shave Sticks both on a pretty even base for me.

But that's also because I don't own any TOBS or Trumpers.

:D
Our tastes seem to match pretty well...Have you tried Erasmic? how does it compare to the Palmolive? I understand they're both pretty cheap in the UK, so they might be comparable.
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Another benefit of Trumpers soaps is that, with their range of scents, you can do fidelity and still enjoy a different scent every day.

Jim, I have an Erasmic stick that lathers well, but I just don't choose it very often; it's always tomorrow maybe, or next weekend, or when I'm traveling. Could be the stick format...

--Glenn
drumana

Post by drumana »

Trumpers soaps
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Institut Karite
Tabac
-Andrew-
smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

bernards66 wrote:Ed, Unfortunately, you're not the only one who's had that experiance. I recently received a PM from an experianced member who has the same problem, and I've had a touch of it myself. But neither he, nor I, have had any such issues with the Trumper soaps, so, if you haven't already, you might give them a try.
Regards,
Gordon
Thanks for the suggestion, Gordon.
As it happens, I've had a puck of Trumpers almond sitting outside to "mellow out" a bit. Your post prompted me to retrieve it for another try. :)
-Ed
dannymac

Post by dannymac »

I wasn't sure the hype was valid, but I purchased some Kent wool fat soap a while back and find it to just be so gentle, lathers great, and provides a super smooth shave. Definitely the best stuff I've used.

I also have a few Col. Conk soaps which I find to be very solid for the price.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ichabod wrote:I...

I have tried, many times, to like MWF, but it just never seems to knock me dead like the others.
That's really too bad. I had understood that MWF gives fans of footy clubs from the North East a bit of a problem -- something to do with Yorkshire and counties north of Yorkshire. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Hraefn

Post by Hraefn »

Williams Tabac and MWF i have tried some goat milk soaps and they work pretty well
Thus he shewed me: and, behold, the LORD stood upon a wall made by a plumbline, with a plumbline in his hand.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Personal favourites are:

Truefitt & Hill Luxury (nice subtle scent, lots of thick lather)
Trumper's Rose (GREAT scent, lots of lather)
Palmolive Stick (Cheap, great lather, cheap - again)