Noxzema Deep Cleansing Cream - heresy?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
LXE

Noxzema Deep Cleansing Cream - heresy?

Post by LXE »

Still new to SMF, I worry that by relating this I am committing a serious faux pas. But the Good Book tells us that the truth shall set us free, so I commence with the relating:

Recalling that I had once managed a good shave with it years ago (on an occasion when shaving cream was unavailable), I shaved yesterday with Noxzema Deep Cleansing Cream - what we generally refer to as just Noxzema (as opposed to Noxzema-branded shaving foam). It was rather good. I got the closest, glassiest shave I have so far achieved in ten days with the Dovo Shavette. (That, of course, may be a function of my growing facility with the blade, rather than the Noxzema.) On the upside, it leaves behind enough lubrication for a second pass without relathering (or is that re-Noxzema-ing?). On the downside, rinsing the blade between swipes takes a tad longer and it lacks the luxurious feel of proper shave soaps and creams lathered and applied with brush and mug.

Have others tried Noxzema? What do you think?
ALEXEI
The academic community has in it the biggest concentration of alarmists,
cranks and extremists this side of the giggle house.
- William F. Buckley, Jr.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Faux-pas, schmaux-pas. Use whatever works for you, and if people have a problem with it, that's tough cheddar for them. I've used Noxema as a facial cleanser before, a long time ago, but never as a shaving agent. I don't particularly want to, either. I remember it being quite heavy - what you describe as a nice remnant of lubrication I felt was just plain greasy - and the scent, while not horrible, certainly isn't up to the likes of Trumper, Harris, or Castle Forbes. Not only that, but one cannot use a brush with it. That's not heresy; that's just a tragedy - for me, at least.
LXE

Post by LXE »

Then again, maybe it's my technique that's getting better. Today's shave was accomplished with Florena, applied by brush, and it was every bit the equal of yesterday's Noxzema shave.

So color me Emily LaTella... :wink:
ALEXEI
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

LXE
I have a friend who works for the local TV station and that is what he uses exclusively... has for years.
He can't use "normal" creams and soaps, his skin complains vehemently (is that a word?). Only problem he gets is a bit of a red face once in a while from the menthol in the cream. I gave him some Proraso to try and he seemed to like it (similar odour but no menthol). He just doesn't appreciate the "brush aspect" ... he would rather just slap it on with his hands... so, the Noxema goes further.

I tried the Noxema shave cream years ago and it wasn't too bad, but I liked the Old Spice and Williams better..

Cheers

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
LXE

Post by LXE »

Gramps wrote:...his skin complains vehemently (is that a word?). ...
It is indeed, Gramps - and an apt word, at that. :)

I may pick up some Proraso on my next trip to Merz Apothecary. It seems to draw many favorable comments here.
ALEXEI
mark the shoeshine boy

Post by mark the shoeshine boy »

well there is two of us who uses Noxzema...actually I use the walmart brand of it....

but i use it as my "shave oil" with a very light layer of noxzema rubbed into your skin and then your favorite shave cream or saop....it makes a wonderful slick pass...i get some consistent close shaves this way

the first smell of noxzema will wake you up but it fades as you put you lather up....

I has been criticized for saying this but now that i have a fellow supporter.....

mark the shoeshine boy
SHAVE AND A HAIRCUT...WAIT A SECOND WHAT ABOUT A SHOESHINE, TOO ????
YS

Post by YS »

Hi,

If you look at the 4 weeks Avid Trial Post, you will see that I have used it at least twice on the four weeks rotation. I have used it as a brushless cream with outstanding results. I have used it few times before, I have purchased the cream on a trip to the cottage this summer and it left my face feeling clean and moisturized after my shave. I do find it runny especially on my neck, but the shave always has been very close. The way I look at it, Lex, have fun with it, it is one of the major reasons of being on this site.

YS
kix500

Post by kix500 »

Many traditionalist shave geeks would probably scoff at my gold standard shave.

A combination of Proraso (1st/2nd passes) and a quick Noxema touch up pass is by far the best routine that has worked for me. I have tried dozens of other creams and soaps but for me this Poraso/Noxema combo provides the closest shaves.

As I can get bored of shaving cream scents, I will substitute the Proraso for some of the great smelling Taylors/Trumper creams and still use Noxema on a final pass.

KIX
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

When I was a kid my dad shaved with a brushless shave cream that came in a jar called Davon. When they stopped making it he switched to Noxema Brushless Shave cream. It came in a wide mouth jar just like Davon and you spread it on your face and shaved. When I started to shave it was the first cream I ever used. I remember when I finally tried a can of foam shave cream after using the Noxema for some time I couldn't understand why anyone would use it over the Noxema cream as it was much better than the foam. Once the Noxema brushless cream was discontinued I never thought of trying Noxema Deep Cleansing Cream in its place. Maybe I should?
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Gents: Three of us now who proudly use Noxema Cleansing Cream (the original in the dark blue tub) as shaving cream. My father used it almost exclusively, and I picked it up from him. I still use and enjoy it frequently. Clean and refreshing shaves always. Always leaves my skin feeling nourished as well. Best, John.
growler

Post by growler »

I've had a sneaking suspicion that one of Kiehl's creams is nothing more than repackaged Noxema.
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

John, I don't imagine it can be used with a brush, huh? Did I ever feel bad when the Noxzema tube cream was discontinued :cry:

Jeff
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

I've been known to use noxema for shaving as well. Not sure if I've shaved with it alone, but I know I've had good results with hot-towel/noxema/hot-towel/noxema-lather/straight razor. I'm usually too lazy to carry a tub of noxema around, but when I have used it I usually got a really good shave.
John P.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Does anybody use Noxzema and then lather on top of it?

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Randy, sorry,
thats what I thought I'd written above, but thats exactly what I do when i use it, (thanks to a tip on wetshavers a long while back) I put the noxema, then lather on top (I think I was going through some C&E Sienna at the time) but it worked EXCELLENTLY.
John P.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Thanks John...know what I'm doing in the morning!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
TSMAN

Post by TSMAN »

I have used noxema face cleanser for years - it seemed simple enough and worked pretty well to keep my skin clear. For shaving, I used to use the noxema in the red can I always felt that I got a pretty good shave from it (before my recent months of getting into true shave creams)....but i was always tempted to try the cleanser as a shave cream even now that I use higher end shave creams - maybe Ill start monkeying around with it - but my skin barks at me alot (very sensitive) and I am on a quest (for fun) no actually a quest for the perfect shave for my skin - something that I could do nearly everyday and not have my face look like a bumpy tomato.