Tabac

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
BeatlesFan

Tabac

Post by BeatlesFan »

A month or two ago a rumor circulated on SMF to the effect that Tabac was phasing out the bowl-sized shaving soap pucks, and would only continue to make the shave sticks.

I must admit that, even though the rumor was unconfirmed, I went ahead and stocked up on Tabac (I bought 7 pucks, which should do me for several years).

I e-mailed Maurer & Wirtz (the parent company) but never heard back from them (which is kind of shabby, I think).

Does anybody have any update on this? I know some other members also contacted the company, and I'm hoping maybe someone got an answer. I'd hate to see this product eliminated, and I hope it's not true.
brothers

Post by brothers »

After being out of stock for about 3 months, I received an email a couple of days ago that fragranceX has received their new shipment of the Tabac Refills, so that tells me it hasn't gone out of production. Why would they want to do that? Is a question I've been asking myself for weeks, since I also heard that rumor, at about the same time we read that the whole scheme had something to do with the advent of the Irisch Moos shaving stick. Tabac's known as one of the finest shaving soaps, in the world, literally. Now that my "defatuation", (opposite of infatuation) with Tabac has subsided and I've drunk all the kool-aid, and I look happily forward to the week of Tabac that my present rotation allows.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

I've not heard mention of Tabac going out of business... If they were, it would probably be like when Target stopped selling Proraso... A mad rush to buy up as much as one could afford... Tabac is my favorite "soap" and I don't know what I'd do if they stopped production...

Enjoy your shave... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

No they can't I've never had a chance to try it yet!!!!!!!!
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I felt that it was a bad sign that they never responded to my e-mail inquiry. It gave me the impression of an evasive corporate "we don't want to talk about that subject" ploy.

Again, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I still wonder whether anyone here ever got a response . . . ?
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Never believe shave forum rumor or hype.
Richard
dash maverick

Post by dash maverick »

rustyblade wrote:Never believe shave forum rumor or hype.
Yeah, like the ever elusive tan-tip superspeed! :wink:
Anthony

The Dashing Maverick
"mostly imitated, barely updated"
soulshine

Post by soulshine »

Does anyone know if lavender oils are an ingredient in this soap?

s~s
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

soulshine wrote:Does anyone know if lavender oils are an ingredient in this soap?

s~s
I reckon most of the scent is synthetic. What does that mean? I don't know.
Richard
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Tabac still lists shaving soap as a product on their website. My guess is if the decision is made to scrap it then you'll see it disappear from the website. For now, it seems you can breath easy.

Chris
GrantPark

Post by GrantPark »

brothers wrote:After being out of stock for about 3 months, I received an email a couple of days ago that fragranceX has received their new shipment of the Tabac Refills
Got a link? I searched the site and didn't find the Tabac soap.
brothers

Post by brothers »

GrantPark wrote:
brothers wrote:After being out of stock for about 3 months, I received an email a couple of days ago that fragranceX has received their new shipment of the Tabac Refills
Got a link? I searched the site and didn't find the Tabac soap.
You'll find it under men's cologne. It's not easy, I presume because they must sell thousands of products. If you use the alphabetic search, try Maurer & Wirtz. When you eventually hit Tabac Cologne, then all their products are listed there. I hope that helps.

Edit: here's a link http://www.fragrancex.com/products/prod ... ce=waiteml
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Jarmo
soulshine

Post by soulshine »

It looks like this thread has all kinds of info going on. Here's what I found about the ingredients:

Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Parfum, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, CI 77891, Limonene, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, Courmarin, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Isoeugenol, Benzyl Salicylate, Benzyl Alcohol, Eugenol, Citral, Evernia Furfuracea (Treemoss) Extract.

Note: the natural constituents of lavender essential oil is linalool.

Looks this is a no go for me.

s~s
cymric

Post by cymric »

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Linalool is present in many scents, and then there's the little matter of two enantiomers which are chemically identical, but have a different arrangement of the molecule groups in space, somewhat like a left- and right-handed glove. They smell different, and might cause different allergic responses too. The ingredient list does not list which enantiomer is present.

In addition, linanool is found in many plants and herbs too, meaning that the source of the chemical needn't at all be lavender. If you know for sure that you respond to linalool, then of course you shouldn't tempt fate. If you respond to lavender, but not to other products containing linalool, then it is something else in the lavender eo which provokes a response---meaning that you could give Tabac a go if you wanted.

Perhaps it's already old hat to you, but for a newbie lurker I thought it best to point out the above.
Dale

Post by Dale »

rustyblade wrote:Never believe shave forum rumor or hype.
When I heard the rumor that Tabac refills may be discontinued, I used that as a convenient excuse to over-react -- ordered 11 pucks of the stuff! My wife bought me some for my birthday a couple years ago and I was hooked -- vowed to never ever be without this soap. :)
Regards,
Dale