Taylor's - Lemon & Lime - Shaving cream.

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Aztecface

Taylor's - Lemon & Lime - Shaving cream.

Post by Aztecface »

I used this cream today for the first time. The scent is quite different from Trumper's and T&H's offerings. It seems as if Taylor's has a somewhat "spicy" scent. Performance wise it's superb but I'm not sure what to make of the scent.

What do the rest of you think of the scent?
Regards,
Jani
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Jani, for me this is a light scent that is neither lemon or lime. I wish Taylor had chosen one or the other but their competitors had lime versions so it made sense to come up with something different. Good performance though.
Last edited by Squire on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Squire
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

While I like and use the cream I think that it smells more like a Jello product than the other top tier lime offerings.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

It does smell rather foody.
Regards,
Jani
AFG

Post by AFG »

I like it a lot. I never thought it smelled much like either lemon or lime but I find it a very pleasant scent. Haven't used it much since last summer but I will be pulling it out again very shortly. It's one I would buy again.
Al
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I should add that the scent though light is pleasant.
Regards,
Squire
ssilcox

Post by ssilcox »

I really like the scent. As mentioned above, it is light, but a very clean scent. Performance is awesome.
“Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.”
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

This was my first cream, and actually what I used for my first wet shave. I love this stuff! To me, the scent is not foodie at all, which I like, and the performance is great. Sadly, I emptied the pot I had already and have not gotten around to buying more.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
IanM

Post by IanM »

I have a pot and I like it, but it's normally beaten to the front of the queue by it's Lavender or Rose colleagues.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, I always thought that the Taylors and T&H versions of 'lime' shave creams had a more blended kind of cologne scent, whilst the Trumpers and especially the Coate's were more straight up lime scents. The pot of Taylors Lemon/Lime that I currently have was bought in NYC in Nov. of '07 and it's excellent in terms of consistancy and lather. I'm not wild about the scent, but it doesn't bother me either. My younger son seems to be using it up at a fearsome rate though....well, better that than my one pot of Coate's Rose that he had his mitts on before I retrieved it....sigh.
Regards,
Gordon
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

jvan wrote:While I like and use the cream I think that it smells more like a Jello product than the other top tier lime offerings.

If you splash on Booster Iced Lime after shave, you'll enjoy the melted popsicle smell on top of the jello.

Big fan of this shave cream, sometimes it gets a bit runny in the pot but no other problems.

------------------------

Kent
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gordon, Gordon, we train them and then complain about the lesson.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, I know, I know....but he's dreadful...you wouldn't BELIEVE the sized gobs he was gouging out of that pot of Rose before I grabbed it away from him. Totally profligate.
Regards,
Gordon
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Mine was also a bit runny but it smelled okay and shaved fantastic.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bruno, The one I have is very firm, but moist, as is the pot of Taylors Almond that I got via Brett. In truth, most of the pots I've examined in the last year or so have been very good looking, much like their creams were several years back. I've seen a few that were that kind of highly whipped, lighter, product, but most have been very traditional in appearance.
Regards,
Gordon
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

My last tub was very firm as well. It was quite different in consistency to the other Taylor's scents I had actually. The others were more runny, but they all 'worked' the same regardless.

I've only had one real problem with Taylor's creams in terms of consistency, and that was a tub of sandalwood that was so runny it was quite literally slopping around the tub.
Scorpio

Post by Scorpio »

bernards66 wrote:Totally profligate.
Regards,
Gordon
I actually had to search that one in the dictionary. That was my lesson for the day.

Back on topic, TOBS limes performance was very good but I was not all that into the scent. Just ok for me.

Raf
"A well lathered face is only half of a good shave"
Crag

Post by Crag »

It smells more like "Pine Sol" to me, and having lived with an insessant cleaner like my FIRST wife, I can't stand it! Having said that, it actually smells pretty good when mixed with my Sandalwood Soap from The Shave Den, (Sandalwood from TSD doesn't particularly smell like Sandalwood proper, but it is a wonderful scent nonetheless). Plus the super-lather is superb!
Matt

"The 'Path of least resistance' is what makes rivers and Men crooked."
--Ezra Taft Benson
Boxy

Post by Boxy »

I just finished a tub of lemon and lime. Does not smell like lemon or lime. Great shave though.

I have heard it described as smelling like lemon pledge. :D

I have the sandalwood which is strong but more pleasant to me.