Tabac seems to be the most favoured soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Marc,

I don't think you said anything remotely objectionable. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Tabac be at the "top" of the poll,for the reasons stated above.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Well dudes, B&B has a larger member basis, so I needed to come and wake you up. I stay on my opinion that this forum is biased to the english soups. :D
Jarmo
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

JarmoP wrote:Well dudes, B&B has a larger member basis, so I needed to come and wake you up. I stay on my opinion that this forum is biased to the english soups. :D
English soups? Never did care overmuch for brown windsor, myself. I like Tabac, and first bought Tabac products in my teens, about 34 years ago. BTW, you won't win friends here with your comparisons to B&B...but no doubt, such was not your purpose. Just think of us being more exclusive! :wink:

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

JarmoP wrote:Well dudes, B&B has a larger member basis, so I needed to come and wake you up. I stay on my opinion that this forum is biased to the english soups. :D
:?

As to the original issue, I've tried Tabac . . . and sold it. It's a good performer - on par with any of the big regulars discussed here - but the scent just wasn't for me.
Blessings,
Michael
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

I think the biggest flaw in that poll is how many of those soaps have the voters actually tried? I'm sure a lot of the Tabac fanboys have never tried much else.
Come on Jarmo tell us about the other soaps you have tried and why Tabac is better. :wink:

Pete
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

marc, my friend, you are one of the most helpful posters on this board. When a new shaver presents with shaving problems you post good comments that suggest what might be best.
Regards,
Squire
drumana

Post by drumana »

Wake us up...? From what? :lol:
-Andrew-
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tim I think Zach's enthusiasm is a refreshing wind flowing through our common threads.
Regards,
Squire
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

just out of curiosity, how old are you? I have a theory, and you didn't answer the last time I asked, which probably confirms my theory.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

just out of curiosity, how old are you? I have a theory, and you didn't answer the last time I asked, which probably confirms my theory.
Theories are nice, i am in a few months 51 years old.
My soap experience is not too large. It is some glycerin soap unnamed, Arko, Tabac and MFW. See I am not a soap expert here, I just came to put you in knowledge of a poll being done.
Jarmo
JimR

Post by JimR »

MMmmmm....English soup. :roll:

Jarmo, this is officially approaching offensive posting territory. Whenever someone uses the term "wake up", it basically means you think you know better than everyone around you. B&B may be bigger, but SMF has been around much longer (in fact, I believe that B&B was started because one member was banned from SMF and every other wetshaving forum for an attitude very similar to yours, as I understand it) and you are not offering any new information to anyone on this board.

NO ONE SAID Tabac is not a good soap. In fact, I believe that most people on this board think this is a great soap. But we also recognize that there are many other very good soaps.

Now go away, kid, you bother me.
Seraphim

Post by Seraphim »

Tabac is KING!

There I said it....

I am always looking to usurp the King, however. My next move may be a few Chuck Norris type chops from the Institute of Karate...er, Institute Karite? :wink:
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

By coincidence, I exchanged several PMs this weekend about Tabac, and I decided, thanks to my forum friends Elias and Zach, that I'll buy a bowl at Pasteurs when I'm in New York in a few weeks.

The OP, being an occasional visitor to SMF, isn't party to all the communication that happens behind the scenes here -- although that kind of communication should happen at any healthy forum. Perhaps that's why the OP is unaware of it.

I applaud the playful spirit of the OP. It made me consider making my annual login at his or her home forum, and posting about one of the myriad forbidden subjects, just to wake them up. But after a moment's reflection, it seemed like wasted effort, since the post would be removed before anyone saw it. (Why in the world are people comfortable with a forum like that?)

--Glenn
Last edited by 2clfrwrds on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I've never tried Tabac because I'm sensitive to fragrances, but I can respond to what I've seen at SMF about the soap.

Tabac doesn't get as much play here as some other soaps, but what I have read about it has been consistently positive in terms of its lathering performance. The big caveat has always been the scent. Those who like the scent typically like the soap. Those who don't like the scent don't use it. Those who are wary of the scent don't try it.

If this soap were availble in other scents or milder scents, it would probably have broader appeal.

- Murray
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

2clfrwrds wrote:By coincidence, I exchanged several PMs this weekend about Tabac, and I decided, thanks to my forum friends Elias and Zach, that I'll buy a bowl at Pasteurs when I'm in New York in a few weeks.

The OP, being an occasional visitor to SMF, isn't party to all the communication that happens behind the scenes here -- although that kind of communication should happen at any healthy forum. Perhaps that's why the OP is unaware of it.

I applaud the playful spirit of the OP. It made me consider making my annual login at his or her home forum, and posting about one of the myriad forbidden subjects, just to wake them up. But after a moment's reflection, it seemed like wasted effort, since the post would be removed before anyone saw it. (Why in the world are people comfortable with a forum like that?)

--Glenn
Oh fine, go ahead and have a good sense of humor. Makes me want to run in the hall with tryphon.

Jarmo, try this if you want to compare the forums (just humor me buddy). Post a poll on B&B saying you have scientifically narrowed down the best prodcuts to three possibilities and asking which is the very best shaving product:

1. Shave Den soaps
2. Trypon soaps
3. Cannaught Creams

Then come back and tell us which site you like better. :D [This is a joke by the way - I don't want that to get lost in translation.]

And you did blow my theory.
gr_elias

Post by gr_elias »

I thought Harris is the best until I tried Tabac.

It's a great, great soap. I get the best results with it, but the scent is strong that's why I don't use it every morning, I don't want to get dizzy. I can use it every afternoon though.... :lol:
Regards,

Elias
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

loueedacat1, i know about site censorship in B&B and don't like it a bit. I have no objection to SMF, just wanted to point out the obvious difference in soap preferences of members here and there.
Jarmo
goose

Post by goose »

I don't think there is one soap that is head and shoulders better than all others in the top tier. If a newcomer were to view that poll they would be under the impression that Tabac is the best soap on the planet and there isn't very much to debate. The reality of the situation is Joel has pushed Tabac soap for years which is why it is so popular on B&B. In fact if you exclude Tabac, the rest of the poll is pretty in-line with SMF member preferences. Either Tabac is an outlier or the undisputed best soap of all time.

Clint
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tabac is one good soap among many. I don't use it because I don't like the scent.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Five years ago, at the dawn of SMF, Tabac soap was reviewed. Sadly, some of the replies are missing. Some because of the later forum split, and Todd's - well why did Todd want his presence obliterated when he gave up on the internets? I don't know; he was a good lad when he was here.

So I used the Tabac again tonight. Lovely!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace