need opinion

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
gil3591

need opinion

Post by gil3591 »

newbie is looking for performance with a fair price. forget about fragrance please. i'm more concerend about how well the product produces a nice shave. i've read about these products and would like opinions. which of these products do you like: creme o cream, taylor , proraso or maybe something else? i'm using tom's of maine right now it's ok. didn't like the performance of my bath and beauty. always looking for something better. thanks :wink:
prism

Post by prism »

You won't be disappointed with Taylor! A top- shelf cream at a very reasonable price.
Make Mine Menthol! Vic
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I second Vic's recommendation.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Although not a cream guy I note that many of the creamologists (?) agree with Vic

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
rgc

Post by rgc »

Taylor was my first shave cream from a top company and is still one of the best I have used. You can not go wrong for the money.
goose

Post by goose »

I agree with the Taylor's recommendation. If you order from the UK it is very cheap. Connaught sells it for under $10 a pot and Each pot should give you 4-6 months of shaves.

Clint
drumana

Post by drumana »

I'm not much of a cream guy as I prefer soaps, so I don't know how much my vote counts, BUT - Taylor of Old Bond Street does make excellent shave cream. You could do far worse...
-Andrew-
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Taylor, or if you like menthol, Proraso.
Regards,
Squire
sebell

Post by sebell »

I found that I got a bit better performance out of
Proraso over Taylor's. Actually, a good one to try
would be Musgo Real.

- Scott
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Add another vote for Taylors
Blessings,
Michael
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Proraso is one of the finest creams I have used, however I'm not a fan of menthol.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I can't completely divorce scent from the equation, but regardless, I too suggest Taylors. It's possible to get a perfectly usable cream for less, but Taylors is completely top shelf and is still reasonably priced. Actually, considering what is being sold right at this time, Taylor is one of my two favourite shave creams irrespective of price.
Regards,
Gordon
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

If you want something today, your local drug store may stock The Real Shaving Company Moisturizing Formula cream: made by the same manufacturer as Taylors, although definitely not the same recipe. But if time isn't a factor for you, then yeah, Taylors.

--Glenn
sdsquarepoint

Post by sdsquarepoint »

prism wrote:You won't be disappointed with Taylor! A top- shelf cream at a very reasonable price.
+1
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I can say I've never been disappointed with Taylors.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Nor I. But those posts on their 'new formula' Jermyn Street' cream are making me nervous. The descriptions sound disconcertingly like some of those 'new style' creams that have already been out for awhile, and that I dislike. I would really hate to see the whole extensive Taylor line of shave creams turn into something other than what they have been.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well let's hope the whole line doesn't go that way although I can understand Taylor introducing new style products so they can remain competitive in the market place.
Regards,
Squire
Benjy85

Post by Benjy85 »

Relax Relax Gordon , The new Taylor's is great and their old stuff is widely available across London so I should suspect their is plenty of time to stock up.

The new Jermyn st cream is fantastic ! It really really is. How about this, i'll send you a lump of cream from my pot to try when i send your swedes, that way you can make your own mind up :D
Kind Regards, Ben
gr_elias

Post by gr_elias »

Squire wrote:Proraso is one of the finest creams I have used, however I'm not a fan of menthol.

I agree with that. It gives me an extremely close shave, both cream and soap, and is very cheap. I like it more than Taylors.
Regards,

Elias
druphus

Post by druphus »

I would not do Proraso every day because of the menthol, but it is pretty much my test cream when trying a new razor (DE and/or straight) or trying a new blade, because it just seems to bring out the best in everything. In normal rotation, I have two tubs of Taylor and one of Trumpers that get used regularly.
Regards,
Andy