Trumper's Violet

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
teabag

Trumper's Violet

Post by teabag »

Hi Everyone,

This might be a stupid question to ask but has anyone on here ever suffered a reaction to Trumper's Violet shaving cream? I tried it out earlier tonight for the first time and my face is now red, blotchy and sore. This has never happened with any other shave cream or soap before. My shave was exactly as all my others, the only differ being the cream.

Thanks for any opinions posted.

Regards,

Phil.
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

I did.

Thought I was sanding instead of shaving.
Put it own to the horrible colouring.

I had the same trouble with Taylor's Lavender & Rose
Will

If it's smokin' it's cookin', when it's black it's done.
teabag

Post by teabag »

Hi Will,

I did not want to express my ignorance on here but I thought maybe the colouring had something to do with it.

Cheers,

Phil.
IanM

Re: Trumper's Violet

Post by IanM »

teabag wrote:Hi Everyone,

This might be a stupid question to ask but has anyone on here ever suffered a reaction to Trumper's Violet shaving cream? I tried it out earlier tonight for the first time and my face is now red, blotchy and sore. This has never happened with any other shave cream or soap before. My shave was exactly as all my others, the only differ being the cream.

Thanks for any opinions posted.

Regards,

Phil.
Phil,

While I have personally never tried the violet cream, I have read that some people have reacted to it if the lather is a bit too dry or strong.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
teabag

Post by teabag »

Ian,

Evening pal.

No my lather was just the same as usual but what i did notice was that I had a right job to get the colouring out of my brush when rinsing it through.

Phil.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Phil, this is a problem I am experiencing with almost every shave cream now. It would appear that I have developed some kind of reaction to something in the Creighton made creams (it never used to be a problem).

I'm not saying that the same is necessarily happening for you. Try using a tad less cream and see if that helps. I found in my case it did make things a little better. Your lather could be too 'rich' with actual cream, and this may be what is flaring your skin up.
goose

Post by goose »

I have a similar situation as Gareth it seems. I can get by with occasionally using TOBS rose, but that is about it. Using more water and less cream will help with the burning, but I am unwilling to make that compromise and mostly use soaps these days.

Clint
teabag

Post by teabag »

Hi Gareth,

I have just put an ice cold facecloth on to cool me down a little. I've used all Trumpers creams except for the Violet. The only other problem I had with any of the others was the coconut oil which seemed to dry my skin out a little but no reaction like this. Perhaps it is an allergic reaction to whatever is in it to give it that colour. I will revert to the sandalwood next. I think it best to leave off the shaving for a couple of days.

Cheers,

Phil.
teabag

Post by teabag »

Thanks Clint,

Seems I may have aroused a sleeping bear? :lol:
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

With all due respect:
Even if your lather is made with too much cream / is too dry or only gives you a reaction a because of some strange interaction with what you drank with your last meal. It shouldn't.

If something is poisonous in large quantities you still don't take it in lots of smaller quantities unless there is some really compelling reason.

My advice is if it doesn't suit you don't use it.
Will

Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Will - point taken, but if using just a little less cream happens to solve the problem for Phil, then why not carry on using it? For me, I still get irritation so I've stopped using the creams that do.

Phil - yes, it could simply be the colouring, and I sympathise about the soreness. It's not very pleasant at all. Obviously, as Will points out, don't carry on using the cream if it irritates you.

I use hard soaps almost exclusively now, and I am seriously considering dropping creams altogether.
teabag

Post by teabag »

Thanks Gareth,

Hmm, I will definitely be keeping away from the Violet cream, even Violet soap is now off the list!!! I have a tub of Rose cream that was a birthday present I have to break into yet. I have had no reaction to a sample of that I tried but I'm now a little apprehensive. As for the face cloth? That keeps warming up nicely!! :lol: :lol:

Regards,

phil
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

Guys - my last post was a little abrupt.
I really didn't mean to sound impatient or to descend into "expertising" my apologies.
Will

teabag

Post by teabag »

Will,

I think we all know what you meant. I did anyway,

Cheers,

Phil.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Do I get irritation from the violet? No. Do I get irritated with the violet? Yes, because it is not as it once was. It once was my favorite cream, scent wise and lather. But since the 'reformulation" (and as an aside, makes me think of the the Reformation), neither the texture or the smell are what I was experienced with, so I have written it off. In fact, I did not like the smell of violet in the soap, so now, as far as Trumpers, I have sandalwood and limes shave soap.
Haine

Post by Haine »

I've had a reaction to it also. The best comparative I could think of, is imagine putting alcohol on a fresh friction burn. :shock: Ended my shape quite abruptly.
Regards, Lionel
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just an observation. Threads such as this usually generate a few new postings on the Selling and Trading forum after a couple of days or so.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Phil, Different gents can have reactions to different creams or soaps, and what's more, it can shift with time. It's a personal thing ( and, of course, there are some who have no problems with any of them....lucky them ). Personally, I have no problem with Trumpers Violet, but like Sam, am profoundly disappointed with the changes they've clearly made in it. Most D R Harris's creams give me a tad of irritation though....so, there you are. There's no way to really shift and winnow this stuff out personally, except to actually use the various products.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I don't get any irritation of any sorts with the Violet (or any other creams I have used), nor any coloring on my brush. I got the tube and the cream is nice and firm. The scent is nice, but I find it doesn't get much use in my rotation. I guess I'll dig it out when the summer comes :)
Eric
teabag

Post by teabag »

Thanks for all the replies Guys,

I might contact Trumpers and ask them to rename it 'Violent' cream and also to put a Govt Health Warning on the packaging. :lol:

Regards,

Phil.