shave soap towards the end of the puck

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
lotuselanman

shave soap towards the end of the puck

Post by lotuselanman »

So I am reaching the end of my tabac and the soap has started to get a sheen on it (when dry) and it doesnt lather properly anymore. Same thing happened to me with MWF and I threw a good amount in the bin.

Normally it is a nice matt finish and picks up nicely on the brush with a couple of swirls. I have compaired it to a new puck and its different in look (matt/vs sheen) and the lather is much better.

Anyone seen this before when a soap is reaching the last 10-15% of its life. Can I get it going again (melt it perhaps) ???

Dave
teabag

Post by teabag »

Dave,

Oh my God! You threw some MWF in the bin? Gulp! :lol:

What should his penance be Wendell? :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Phil.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

teabag wrote:Dave,

Regards,

Phil.

:shock: :shock: .... :evil:
Regards,
David
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Regards,

Phil.
Ah yes -- I was thinking about this when I first read Dave's post. A good thrashing with sheep clippings sodden with a mix of the West Yorkshire rain and lanolin ought to do nicely.

The Wool-Man Commeth!

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
teabag

Post by teabag »

excellent punishment, sir!! :lol: :lol:

Phil.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Anyone seen this before when a soap is reaching the last 10-15% of its life. Can I get it going again (melt it perhaps) ???
Yes we have all seen it. No there is nothing to do but to get a new refill.

I think it has something to do also if those soap remains have been getting in contact with water. Same thing as with bath bar tallow soaps. They will not be as slick and moisturising as when new.

I have 2 Tabac bowls, so the remains in the old get added some cream and brushed with Omega 48 pig hair brush to whip up some lather still ;)
Jarmo
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

jww wrote:

Regards,

Phil.
Ah yes -- I was thinking about this when I first read Dave's post. A good thrashing with sheep clippings sodden with a mix of the West Yorkshire rain and lanolin ought to do nicely.

The Wool-Man Commeth!

Wendell, you were too kind!.... :evil:
Regards,
David
jpkunst

Post by jpkunst »

JarmoP wrote: I think it has something to do also if those soap remains have been getting in contact with water.
My Tabac puck is almost finished now and it lathers just as good as ever. But then, I only use a damp brush (squeeze and shake before it gets near the puck) on my soap and I build the lather on my face, not on the soap.

I think that many of the techniques put forth on shaving sites (soak soap with teaspoon of water, swirl dripping brush on top of soap, etc.) considerably shorten the useful life of the soap because its gets too wet too often.
Jan Pieter
drumana

Post by drumana »

That's an interesting thought, Jan... I never considered that before, but it makes sense.
-Andrew-
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My first upscale shaving soap was T&H Luxury. Both cakes just stopped lathering and it was like rubbing a brush across a hockey puck. I tossed both and started using VdH Delux. No similar problen with those and they smell pretty good too. Maybe the extra cream of a tallow soap is worth tossing part. I am using both a Tabac soap and a glycering based oap and I notice the extra greasiness of the Tabac lather.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
AZShaver

Post by AZShaver »

I am now using a mixture of 2/3 MWF shavings and 1/3 Tabac, scraped out of my mug, mixed and than packed back in. No problems, great shaves.
Jim
Steve

Post by Steve »

I haven't finished a Tabac yet but all the soaps I have finished seemed to lather find right to the end.

Steve
Empty Words

Post by Empty Words »

When there is not much left of a soap and you can no longer get a lather going, try using the remains like a shave stick and rub it into your beard then face lather. This worked great for my Tabac and MWF.