De Vergulde Hand Shaving Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
RazorRamone

De Vergulde Hand Shaving Soap

Post by RazorRamone »

Given some of the mixed feedback I have read on the De Vergulde Hand Shaving Soap, I wasn't sure if it would be a product worth trying.

I am sure glad I made a trade and tried this soap. I disagree with any comments about it being a drying soap or its highly offensive odour.

The soap is not drying at all, lathers very well, has a generic soap smell (yet not a "detergent" fragrance like Arko), and provides for some good glide/cushion.

Would I trade in my Trumper's Coconut, C & E Sienna, or Harris Arlington for this soap? No... but if you can find it cheap enough, it is definitely worth a try for those of us that require a dozen shaving soaps in our bathroom cabinets.

Cheers,

RR
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

RR, thanks for the review of this (I know I'm late in responding). I have been curious about this soap, especially since a guy on another forum mentioned that it smells a bit like Imperial Leather bath soap.

I may give this one a whirl sometime soon if I can find it at the right price.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
final_id

Post by final_id »

De Vergulde Hand ...

Recently passed through Schiphol airport (outside Amsterdam) and saw this stuff at the Etos drugstore in the concourse. Was all set up for my trip but the €7.95 brush that came in ITS OWN CARRYING TUBE with ITS OWN DRYING RACK just called to me. Momentary BAD (brush acquisition disorder) overtook me (must have been the jetlag) so I got a tub of soap and the brush.

Brush is crappy -- although ideally stiff, in that "scrub your skin" kind of way that I happen to like, many would dislike it, and consider it a typical dime-store type -- but the soap turned out really nice. It's in a plastic-wax-paper type of container, due to disintegrate some time right around the time the soap cake runs out. The soap itself is semi-hard, easy to lather, whips up into nice firm peaks. It has a sweet sandal-wood smell, with a bit of a sugary flavor added. And it hasn't dried out my skin at all, though I have been using Neutrogena AND some Trumper's Skin Food (Extract of Limes, duh!) too, so there hadn't been much chance of any drying out.

Anyway, I like it, if only because it seems to be a "local" brand. "The Gilded Hand." Hmm ...
Cliff in New Orleans
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, You probably already know this, but if you're really invested in finding a shave soap with a scent similiar to the Imperial Leather bath soap, then check out the Trumpers Almond shave soap sometime.
Regards,
Gordon
cymric

Post by cymric »

Regrettably, DVH is drying to me. Other than that it is a perfectly fine soap with good lathering and shaving properties, especially considering the price, which is why I am of the opinion that people should at least try it to see if they approve of it. However, for me in the same category Palmolive stick is the better product.
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

The De Vergulde Hand soap is actually very good in skincare as well as lather, and I enjoy the scent a lot. The company which produces it, has a history of over 450 years.
JEFF