Proraso "White" Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
SirCur

Proraso "White" Soap

Post by SirCur »

Gents, I saw a few tubs of Proraso shave soap today at Shoppers DM - however, instead of the usual dark green tub, it was in a white container.
The label says "Ultra Sensitive" and "contains green tea ...". Of course, I had to pick some up since I haven't seen this before - will try it tomorrow morning.

Anyone else used this Proraso "White" Soap before?

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
drumana

Post by drumana »

I haven't used it, but have heard enough about it that it's on my list of things to buy. It's supposed to be good and moisturizing - a nice performing cream/soap. It seems the scent is debatable though...
-Andrew-
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've not used it either, but some like the fragrance, some don't, just like any other product. One description of the fragrance was that it reminded the guy of a freshly cut pumpkin. Now that's unique. If you get it and don't like it, it's a pretty sure bet that you can sell it almost immediately on the forum.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Steve, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this product.
Regards,
Squire
DEF

Post by DEF »

I bought a brush yesterday and wanted to throw in a soap to dilute the shipping charges. I put Proraso white in and out of my cart about three times before finally leaving it out and going with Erasmic instead. I love the performance of the Proraso green, but just wasn't sure about the scent on the Green Tea version.
Doug
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

I just got some of this in an order from WCS. I'll give it a go tomorrow morning as well. At first whiff you do get a hint of "pumpkin guts" but my girlfriend says that it smells more like fresh cut grass to her. Whatever the scent is, it isn't very strong. Also, I have a tub of Joanna's TSD Wheat Shave Cream due in any day now. It's supposed to be her answer to Proraso Red. I'll post my thoughts on that most likely sometime next week. Unfortunately, I won't be able to compare hers to the original because, alas, I never got to try it.
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

gotsumoves

Post by gotsumoves »

If it performs anything like the green tub of Proraso you are in for a fine lathering experience.

enjoy,
Enjoy your shave,
Jose

Current Set up:

Merkur HD barberpole in blue
Feather blades
Rooney Emillion horn
Col Conk's Bay Rum
Proraso menthol
Witch Hazel
Ebano & Ebano Aftershave Balm
Baronet

Post by Baronet »

I have a tub of this and it performs the same as the green tub, It still has menthol in it but less than the green maybe about half the amount in comparison, The smell is well... 'different ' I am not keen on the scent it is very manufactured and artificial to me.
If you like the green I'm sure you will like this as it performs well .
Regards

Andrew
brianh1978

Post by brianh1978 »

Just got a tub myself yesterday and tried it this moring. The smell is definatly diffrent not sure how to describe it really, but it lathers like a champ much like the green one but not as full of menthol. I like it though it was a great purchase for me.
Larry T

White

Post by Larry T »

I used the Proraso green yesterday, and the white(sensitve) this morning. I would say that the white lathers a bit better than the green, and has a milder smell. The menthol isn't as strong, but it still leaves a nice cooling sensation on the skin. I like the white version better.

Larry
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

I used my new Proraso White this morning. I'm not an experienced face latherer so I had trouble getting a good lather but what I did get out of it served it's purpose. The results were decent. I probably won't use it A LOT but it will definitely be nice during the summer months.
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

giammi

Post by giammi »

I tried it a few times and I liked it. I think it is a good alternative for those
who don't like the Proraso green because of its strong Menthol taste and the coolness it gives.

The white one gives also a cooling sensation, but I would guess about
only 25% of the green one.

I did not notice any difference in the quality of the lather, abundant as always.

Smell is completely different than the green one. Difficult to describe...for me
somehow a mix between a (limey grape)fruit and a green plant.

Overall a soap that I can recommend, but the smell might not be for everybody.
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Gents,

I tried the Proraso White soap a few days ago (forgot about this post - blame the post-ops "meds"). For the test, used a great "soap brush", a Simpsons T4, 2 band that has quite firm bristles and picks up the soap very well. Some observations:

- packaging is identical to the Proraso green, the hard plastic tub with snap-on lid
- the performance is identical to the green
- the soap has a faint menthol (or eucalyptus) tingle, certainly not very pronounced vs the green, but noticeable nonetheless
- the scent is a little "earthy-planty" to my nose, sort of a mild, aloe-vera type scent - actually very pleasant mild, MUCH preferred vs the stronger green soap, or Proraso cream

Overall, I would say excellent bang for the buck. Not up there with triple-milled soaps like Trumpers, but for $6, you can't expect parity with the best in the world. For those who are looking for good value, and are not keen on the eucalyptus burn from regular Proraso, this is a great alternative.

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

I've always loved Proraso. The green was my first soap. I've been meaning to try the white for a while.

For as long as it's been around, it would seem more people would have tried it.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
druphus

Post by druphus »

MiloFinch wrote:For as long as it's been around, it would seem more people would have tried it.
So many soaps, so little time David. :)
Regards,
Andy
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

druphus wrote:So many soaps, so little time David. :)
Indeed. Indeed.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
bflotom2

Post by bflotom2 »

During a recent trip to Southern Ontario I picked up a tub of the white. I would describe it as having the same performance as the green, somewhat less of the menthol effect. The scent is fresh, light, not over bearing.
Regards,
Tom
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

I find the white bowl version has an excellent lather, and a very nice scent, and still a good amount of menthol, and it really has better skincare than the green version.
JEFF
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

OK, I'll bite...

Where can you get it...

Gio has closed shop so I can't get any Rosa Soap or Sputniks from him, may as well give this a go...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
druphus

Post by druphus »

Racso_MS wrote:Where can you get it...
Most places that sell Proraso products have it. In the States, Shaving Essentials and West Coast Shaving both have it. See links:

http://www.shavingessentials.net/shaving_soaps.html

http://westcoastshaving.com/index.php?m ... ucts_id=72
Regards,
Andy