Harris Arlington Scent

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

The Arlington and the Taylor's Lime are very different.
Regards,
Jani
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I agree with Jani. While Arlington does seem to have some lime ( and/or lemon ) in it's top notes, it's dry down is kind of soft and powdery. The Taylors No 74 Lime is a more straight up lime colonge where one continues to smell the lime to some degree even through the dry down. It also has more staying power than the Arlington, at least on my skin.
Regards,
Gordon
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

well, that settles it then. I must have both.

Thanks guys.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

That's the spirit! A true SMF member! Enjoy.
Regards,
Gordon
DEF

Post by DEF »

Gents,

Be advised: The Arlington scent has been reformulated from the familiar "citrus and fern" accord. I only ever bought the soap, but within the last 6 weeks I have purchased both the soap and the cologne, both of which differ appreciably from my older soaps.

The current formulation tries to be a classic eau de cologne formula, but in a gross misstep, Harris have bludgeoned the whole thing with citronella. This is what I'm sure yavyarman is describing as the cheap wet wipe scent; I can see exactly what he means. I can't imagine what they were thinking. I e-mailed Harris to ask about the change, but they sidestepped anything resembling a straight answer. I think it is fraudulent of them to stay with the "citrus and fern" verbiage in their promotional materials.

In the meantime, I have turned to my Harris Almond and Lavender soaps as my mainstays. I now have to put Arlington at a distant third place.

I advise you to save your money; there are probably mosquito sprays at the druggist that will achieve the same effect for less. It really is an orgy of citronella.

Regards,
Doug
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Doug, I'm not surprised. I noticed a change some time ago and started stocking up.
Regards,
Jani
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Doug, I'm sorry to hear that, although Arlington never did have any 'fern' aspect to it as far as I was concerned. I haven't had any of the soap or the cologne around in a few years, but the soap always smelled somewhat different from the cologne, IMO. I'll have to give it a sniff next time I'm in NYC and see if it smells that different to me.
Regards,
Gordon
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

The change occured almost at the same time as the Erasmic stick changed. They have always had the same scent but since the re-formulation the scent has changed somewhat.
Regards,
Jani
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jani, I wonder if both are not more of the evil workings of those Brussels scent police that Bargepole is always warning us about?
Regards,
Gordon
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Gordon, It most likely is. His advice to stock up should not be taken lightly.
Regards,
Jani
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Good God! I'll have to survive on colognes from the West Indies and Morocco if this keeps up! Places beyond the reach of this twisted crowd!
Regards,
Gordon
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

:shock:
and what about the cream..? I have half a metal tube that I thought I would finish off through the summer. I might just hang on to it if they've changed the cream, too.

Love these reformulation frenzies :D
Eric
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

i have a new soap (bought last november) and it smells nice to me.
brz90

Post by brz90 »

I've got a fairly broad range of soaps, aftershaves, colognes and Arlington still smells like top end quality to me, I've got cream, soap, shave stick, aftershave and cologne - best start possible on the right kind of summer's day. Last thing I bought was a shave stick and it has a little less citrus blast if anything than the soap I bought this time last year - still subtle citrus and fern to me.
Perhaps it's their quality control that's the issue - a bit too much variation in the product? For a small company reliant on a third party manufacturing their product maybe that's not unlikely?
DEF

Post by DEF »

What I have now contains strong citronella and a definite neroli element -- neither of which I could find in the soap previously. I'm convinced it's a new formula versus poor execution of the old formula.

We probably have old and new stock in the channels right now, so if you're willing to gamble, you might get lucky. If you can't smell the patio candle, then you must have the original stuff.

Sorry if I am coming off as a snob, here, but I was surprised by the extent of the change.

Edit: My stuff was bought within the last 6 weeks.
Doug
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Doug, you're not a snob. You're a Shavegeek. I noticed this change much earlier on and told people to stock up. If you want older stock, contact Paul at Connaught Shaving. I know he has the good stuff.
Regards,
Jani
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Eric, To hell with the scent ( about which there seems to be some disagreement ), the cream you have ITSELF is just markedly better than what they're offering now, ever since they went to that new, and cheaper looking, packaging. At least I haven't heard anyone convincingly argue that it's back to what it used to be. So, you might want to use that cream sparingly for that reason alone.
Regards,
Gordon
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Yeah, Gordon.

I think I'll use it as planned and enjoy each shave that much more. I might buy a tub and see for my self if the difference is too much for me to accept.
Eric
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

i just got my arlington cologne from straightrazordesigns.com and I like it. Not bug sprayish at all. It is way understated as you guys warned.
brz90

Post by brz90 »

Warmer summer days are on their way and so I'm digging out the Arlington. Just a little alarmed by this thread and the review on basenotes which suggests my 2008 purchased Arlington is irreplaceable because of a dastardly reformulation of my favourite summer cologne I emailed DR Harris.
Alison Moore, managing director of Harris, replied and said they reformulated the Arlington after shave milk in 2009 but that was it. Everything else about Arlington is unchanged.
So, no worries! (?)

-----------
Best regards
Jack