Harris Arlington Scent

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
IanM

Harris Arlington Scent

Post by IanM »

I've recently acquired some Arlington soap, and while I've read the word "citrus" a lot when the scent is being described, I don't really smell citrus at all. It smells "green" and a bit planty/herby.

Any comments?

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I get a sharp lemon/lime burst that settles down to the "green" from the cologne. In the soap it is more subdued. I find the Harris soaps to have quite strong fragrances.
Eric
drumana

Post by drumana »

It's mostly an earthy, green, ferny scent to my nose but I also get sharp citrus fragrance notes on top of it. It's a very strong scented soap, IMO...
-Andrew-
IanM

Post by IanM »

Yeah, I get earthy and green but little or no citrus. Perhaps the cologne is a bit sharper and I've read about that.

Whatever the scent, I still like it :)

Ian
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Soap is a bit more different from the cologne. In fact the soap has more of a quininey quality to it. Very similar to the Erasmic shave stick. At least before the reformulation.
Regards,
Jani
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Jani, I get the Erasmic comparison, definitely. Both very fern-like with a sharp note, perhaps quininey as you said. For those interested in the budget cream world, Wars has a somewhat similar scent, too.

And, if you're looking for a cologne or aftershave to chase Arlington, Sanborn's Orange Blossom - available for a few dollars in Mexican groceries or the "ethnic" section of most CVS and Walgreen's stores - is a fine choice. It doesn't smell much like neroli or orange blossom to me, but it does the citrus plus sharp plus green thing quite well.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
95%

Post by 95% »

I find the Arlington fragrance to be very light, with lemon the predominant theme.

Porter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, as was already mentioned, the Arlington shave soap and the cologne don't smell exactly the same ( it is very difficult, I'm told, to accurately translate a scent from on medium to another ). To me, the cologne has a bit more noticeable citrus top note, and a more powdery, as oppossed to fougere type, dry down. Harris's old Cologne scented shave soap had a more pronounced citrus note than does the Arlington.
Regards,
Gordon
95%

Post by 95% »

I've tried only the soap, not the cologne, and have just shaved with it. It has more complexity than mere lemon, yet it still seems rather lightly scented to me. Perhaps that's because for several days I've been using Tabac!

Porter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, Yeah, ( chuckle ) after a few days with Tabac, almost ANY other shave soap will seem 'lightly scented'.
Regards,
Gordon
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

IanM wrote:Yeah, I get earthy and green but little or no citrus. Perhaps the cologne is a bit sharper and I've read about that.

Whatever the scent, I still like it :)

Ian
Ian

I have the Cologne and this is definately Citrus, Orange and Lemon come out for me.

Regards
John
IanM

Post by IanM »

I had another quick sniff of the puck this morning, and there is the faintest hint of citrus in there, but it is dwarfed by the green/earth smells.

I'm a little surprised by Eric's comments regarding the strength of the Harris soap scents, as I own Arlington, Marlborough and Lavender by Harris, and I think that they're quite delicately scented, especially compared to the likes of Penhaligon's English Fern and, as already mentioned, Tabac. It just shows how different products, especially scents, appear to different noses!

Ian
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ian, Yes, once again we see that scent perception is highly individualistic. To me, the D R Harris's shave soaps are pretty assertively scented. Not unpleasantly so, but definately not 'mild' like, say, Mitchells or Trumpers Coconut Oil soap.
Regards,
Gordon
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Hi Ian,
I haven't tried Tabac or Penhaligons soaps. I found that the scent of Harris's Marlborough soap was just as strong as the tubed Marborough cream. I bought the cream because I wanted a stronger Marlborough scent :roll: .
Eric
mobi9957

ok

Post by mobi9957 »

Thank you for your sharing!
e d o

Post by e d o »

Harris's Marlborough soap is my go to these days. It's just great. I do find the scent pretty mild and I hope they keep it that way. I also hope that they don't remove the tallow.
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

bernards66 wrote:Well, as was already mentioned, the Arlington shave soap and the cologne don't smell exactly the same ( it is very difficult, I'm told, to accurately translate a scent from on medium to another ). To me, the cologne has a bit more noticeable citrus top note, and a more powdery, as oppossed to fougere type, dry down. Harris's old Cologne scented shave soap had a more pronounced citrus note than does the Arlington.
Regards,
Gordon
I have the Arlington soap and love it (and love the scent). I'm thinking about buying the Arlington aftershave or cologne. I assume the aftershave is less concentrated than the cologne (and I like to not be overwhelming in my scent).

Anyone tried the Arlington Aftershave? Any thoughts on how it compares to the cologne?
yayavarman

Post by yayavarman »

I traded my Arlington soap. I paid a premium price for it so I was expecting a premium scent. But you could get this scent from a cheap $.50 bath soap at a local drugstore. In airplanes they hand out hot towels to wash your hands and face with. They got exactly the same smell as the Arlington. Definately has alot of lemon to it but it just smelled cheap and chemically to me.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeah, the scent of the Arlington aftershave is even lighter than the cologne, but Arlington is a very light subtle scent anyway, even at cologne strenght so I wouldn't worry about being overwhelmed by it ( chuckle ). And I must say that I sure wish MY drugstore carried inexpensive soaps that smelled like that.....but they don't. All I can usually find these days is that horrible pseudo 'marine' smell.
Regards,
Gordon
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

ok thanks. cologne it is.

would it make sense to get arlington cologne and that taylors lime cologne - ie are they sufficiently different?