Caswell Massey Sandalwood Shaving soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Steve

Caswell Massey Sandalwood Shaving soap

Post by Steve »

Has anyone ever tried Caswell Massey Sandalwood Soap? How is the scent and how is the lather?

Steve
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

I think generally Caswell & Massey shaving soaps/creams are not among the best. I've never gotten good results in any of their products and don't stock any. The aftershaves and colognes seem to be pretty well accepted.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks, that's what I suspected. On a positive note, C&E has their Sandalwood shave soap back online. It was supposed to have been discontinued but you can order it now on their website.

Steve
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Steve, Don't. Regretably, the C-M shave creams and soaps are simply no damn good....it's that simple. That's been the consensus on the shave forums for years. I'm told that up until the early '80s they were excellent and then they switched to US suppliers and they just went down the drain.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Steve, what Gordon said, this is one of the few shaving soaps that I retired to the bath tub. I do like their Sandalwood cologne.
Regards,
Squire
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

Yeah. I have it. It was a gift, so I feel obligated to keep it around, but I've used it twice with no good results.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thank you gentlemen! Now that C&E has reintroduced their sandalwood soap, I think I will stick with it.

Steve
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

I tried the shaving cream this morning and had a wonderful shave!I used a stiff boar brush(Semogue 1520) and I didnt add to much water while I was face lathering and I was able to made a good thick protective lather from it which lasted me 4 passes and a touch up only adding a couple drops of water in between passes.After reading about it I think that this is how this crem is gonna work,not much water and not "creamy" but more thicker than usual and adding only a couple drops of water.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tieste, You're welcome to it.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Teiste wrote:I tried the shaving cream this morning and had a wonderful shave!I used a stiff boar brush(Semogue 1520) and I didnt add to much water while I was face lathering and I was able to made a good thick protective lather from it which lasted me 4 passes and a touch up only adding a couple drops of water in between passes.After reading about it I think that this is how this crem is gonna work,not much water and not "creamy" but more thicker than usual and adding only a couple drops of water.
You're talking about Caswell-Massey shaving cream, correct? (The reason for the question is that a couple of the above posts refer to C&E / Crabtree & Evelyn, and I'm getting the two confused.)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

brothers wrote:
Teiste wrote:I tried the shaving cream this morning and had a wonderful shave!I used a stiff boar brush(Semogue 1520) and I didnt add to much water while I was face lathering and I was able to made a good thick protective lather from it which lasted me 4 passes and a touch up only adding a couple drops of water in between passes.After reading about it I think that this is how this crem is gonna work,not much water and not "creamy" but more thicker than usual and adding only a couple drops of water.
You're talking about Caswell-Massey shaving cream, correct? (The reason for the question is that a couple of the above posts refer to C&E / Crabtree & Evelyn, and I'm getting the two confused.)
y
Sorry for the confusion,yes I was meaning Caswell Massey shaving sandalwood cream.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I like the CM Tricorn bath soap which is sort of a sandalwood scent, but their shaving creams and soaps, no.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I also like the No. 6 cologne but that's mostly for the heritage.
Regards,
Squire