New and Need Help

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Koosman13

New and Need Help

Post by Koosman13 »

Guys,
I am new to this and need some general info if anyone can help me. I have recently purchased a Merkur "Futur" DE and brush along with some basic hard soaps (made for mugs I think). They are just round, unscented, hard bars by Williams etc. Anyway, I tried this and was not very impressed. I have seen and read a great deal of info about the different soaps and creams being used. I need to know the differences and advantages of one product over another.
What is the differnce b/t shaving soaps and shaving creams ( Trumpers, Taylors, Proraso, etc )??
They sound like they are very similar with the cream being a little more comforting. I have sensitive skin, yet my beard grows pretty fast. I fight razor burn all the time. That's why I decided to try this route.
What would you reccommend I do???
Also, what is the best cream/soap for my dollar? Do I need the high end products from England?, or are there good alternatives?
Once done with the shave, what do I need to follow up?
I read something about Trumpers Skin Food I think. Is this the best? Do I need a lotion only or some type of aftershave in between?

Any advice you can offer is extremely appreciated.
Also, where do you reccommend I shop on line for all of my needs?

Thanks,
Koosman13
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Welcome Koos,

I understand where you are coming from. I was there 7 months ago.

Now all of these are my opinions... I think that creams have more essential oils and MAY be a little more comfortable. They are usually more expensive. Soaps are usually less expensive, but you can find some very good soaps. One soap that I really enjoy is Col. Conk. You can buy a cake for less that $4. Williams can be purchased at places like Wal Mart. Williams is a good soap for a $1 but not great overall.

As far as creams Trumpers seems to be a lot of people favorite. People usually like the scents and the way it lathers. Some creams dont lather as well as other however most of the British creams are all great. Some of the best creams for your dollar are Musgo anywhere from $7-$12 a tube(depends where you buy it), Taylors is a great soap that goes for about $13 a tub. Proraso is another goos soap that goes for around $10 a tube.

Soaps are a little more difficult. You may find a really crappy soap that does not lather, but you may also find a really great soap that lathers really well. I think many will agree the Col. Conk is the best soap for the buck. Its good soap and you can find it in the US.

I do not think you need the high end products. You can also try Art of Shaving shave cream, its as good as British creams. You can purchase it at Nordstroms. Take a look at their website and look at other locations where you can purchase it.

As far as razor burn, you are probably going to want to use a DE. Most gents prefer DE's over a multi blade if they get razor burn.

I would recommend that you give Charles a call from QED USA. He is a great guy and he will help you out. There are also some other good retailers. If you go to the home page of this site you will see "top rated" vendors. Give any one of them a call. Me personally I would call Charles or email him. http://www.qedusa.com/

I have never used Trumpers skin food, but I hear that it is the best!

PS if you go to the Shaving Brushes topic, you will see some pics that are in the "SR230 in action". You will be able to see the difference between creams and soaps and how they lather.

-J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
SurfFisherman
Bargain Detector

Post by SurfFisherman »

Koosman13-

I'm pretty new to wet shaving too (started several weeks ago), so I'm going to let the other members with more experience answer your questions and give advice about the differences between creams and soaps and all of the different brands.

However, I did want to share with you how much I enjoy using Proraso Shaving Soap. It has a very nice scent, is easy to build a lather with, offers good protection from razor burn, and is very affordable. (There is also a Proraso cream available.)

I purchased mine from Charles at QED (http://www.qedusa.com). He is a great retailer and offers unparalleled service and the best prices I have seen.

Keep visiting the board and read the archives and you will learn A TON!

Also, sheck out the "Pictorials" heading on the main page for some excellent instructional information!
Chris G
New York City
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

There are better site out there. This one is OK. Ya right. This is the greatest wet shaving site on the planet. Period!
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Just wanted to add ANOTHER recommendation for QED. I've placed two orders with Charles this week, and his customer service is impeccable. He goes above and beyond the call of duty to make sure you are happy. And his prices are the best on the Net!

Chris
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

It's great to have you join the forum! I am a long time soap fan. Aside from the fact that hard soaps tend to last longer than creams most people seem to agree that it is a little easier to get a good quality lather from a soap.

As far as which soaps better or which creams are better, you will find all of the ones you mentioned as well as others mentioned here are all of very good quality. The best thing you can do is to try several different soaps and creams (it's also FUN!) and see which work best for you.

As far as creams go, most folks agree that Castle Forbes is one of the very best.

When it comes to the best soap for the buck it is very hard to beat Proraso in the 5 oz. tub which is $6.00 at QED. QED also offers a 5 oz. tub of soap from Omega which I have not tried but I understand it is EXACTLY the same as Proraso and is $5.00 a tub.

Coral Skin Food is a very good aftershave as is the Proraso Aftershave lotion. The Coral Skin Food comes in a 3.5 oz. bottle but you use very little. It should last you about 2 years which is about $0.03 per day.

Lastly, you will find none better than Charles @ QED. He will be willing to talk to you at great length :lol: and is a great source of information.

Hope this helps,

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
Koosman13

Post by Koosman13 »

Man, you guys are great. I really appreciate all of your help and advice here. I will spend a little time in the next couple of days researching some of my shopping options and will place an order. If anyone comes up with any other helpful info, please don't hesitate to give me a shout. As you can tell, I am a clueless newbie, atleast for now.

Thanks again,
(Koosman13)
Mickey
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Koos--

Along with the other excellent posts on this thread, allow me to ask a few questions that might help us improve your shave in other ways.

First and foremost, how are you preparing your face for the shave? A gentle wash, with plenty of hot water?

What kind of shaving brush are you using? How are you generating your lather (personally I find that Williams is an excellent shave soap for the money)?

What setting do you dial up on your Futur?

In what direction(s) do you shave?

All these questions can make a big difference in your shaving experience.

--Mark