Soap Dilemna: Trumper Rose, MWF or DR Harris Lavender?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

trumpers rose and the mwf. if you get the dandy and rake chicks steal it so dont bother buying something you wont be keeping for long :lol:

clive

p.s. Gareth, nice to see you out and about
de gustibus non est disputandum
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

giammi wrote:You will end up buying and trying all three anyway, so do it now and save on shipping costs.
Ahhhh, the "save on shipping costs" thing. :D I think I've saved about minus 300 bucks by buying lots of stuff to save on shipping costs. But
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, I've saved a ton of money on shipping costs, especially when the shipping is free if my entire purchase exceeds something over $99 or so. That's when the savings really start to add up! I consider myself a very astute shopper when I can avoid the shipping charges on an order.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
shmittytheloverboy

Post by shmittytheloverboy »

bump
"The light you see at the end of the tunnel is the front of an on coming train." David Lee Roth
diggity

Post by diggity »

Gareth!! Great to see you around these parts <to echo Clive>

Trumper's Rose is a must.....classic, the "perfect" rose scent...one of my favorites. I would also recommend D R Harris Lavender. I have tried all three of these soaps and think that the ones I have mentioned are the best. MWF is a nice soap, but I think that the other two perform better.

However, let's really cut to the chase here. After perusing this forum for 1+ weeks, you will buy all three....I guarantee it. So you might as well just save yourself some time, buy all three, and sell the one you don't like.
Nathan
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

diggity wrote:............and sell the one you don't like.
Betcha he keeps all three! :D
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
95%

Post by 95% »

He doesn't want all three, folks. He needs to decide which one he should eliminate. It's like those "which one of these doesn't belong?" puzzles we did in grade school. I think it's clear that of the three, MWF is the odd man out. What kind of a lover boy would choose wool fat over rose or lavender?
Porter
brothers

Post by brothers »

A wise obsersvation, Mr. 95%. If this is an objective universe, then MWF can stay, but if there is an outside influence or motivation involved (honey, how do you like this one?) an innocent question, but her response might put a new spin on the decision.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

95% wrote:.............. What kind of a lover boy would choose wool fat over rose or lavender?
brothers wrote:A wise obsersvation, Mr. 95%. If this is an objective universe, then MWF can stay, but if there is an outside influence or motivation involved (honey, how do you like this one?) an innocent question, but her response might put a new spin on the decision.
For me, absent any pressure, suggestion, advice, or hint from SWMBO (or SO), I would choose The Fat over rose in heartbeat. D.R.Harris Lavender and MWF as your choice soaps would make any shaving maven proud. :D
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gareth -- +3 on seeing you about.

I'd go with MWF, MWF, and MWF -- and probably the Harris lavender because the scent is divine. But really -- all three are great/stupendous soaps -- you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Did I already suggest MWF??

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
shmittytheloverboy

This is tough.

1. performance is important but so is the scent

2. the scent is important but so is the performance

hmmmm
"The light you see at the end of the tunnel is the front of an on coming train." David Lee Roth
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Performance is not really an issue here, all three perform superlatively. The Mitchell's can be a little harder to get there, that's all. When it gets on up to this level, it's highly subjective, nuanced, and personal.
Regards,
Gordon
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

a-cut-above wrote:For me, absent any pressure, suggestion, advice, or hint from SWMBO (or SO), I would choose The Fat over rose in heartbeat. D.R.Harris Lavender and MWF as your choice soaps would make any shaving maven proud. :D
I agree completely.
Danny
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

IS THERE A REASON TABAC HAS NOT ENTERED THE EQUATION? I THINK IT'S COMPARABLE TO MWF BUT THE SCENT IS REALLY SOMETHING!! :lol:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
95%

Post by 95% »

Gil, Tabac wasn't one the parameters laid down by the OP. But I suspect his question wasn't serious and he may have been trolling. Read his two follow-ups.
Porter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, Indeed. Well, what the hell?....we're having fun.
Regards,
Gordon
95%

Post by 95% »

Right, Gordon. And the best of luck to "shmittytheloverboy" in his quest.
Porter
shmittytheloverboy

gil3591 wrote:IS THERE A REASON TABAC HAS NOT ENTERED THE EQUATION? I THINK IT'S COMPARABLE TO MWF BUT THE SCENT IS REALLY SOMETHING!! :lol:
I already have Tabac but I am shooting for all British shaving products.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Shmitty. Right - get em all! - finally some of this seems to be soaking in. The good thing about it, well two things, it's cheaper than almost anything else, and then, if you decide you don't want it, sell it or trade it. How many other personal care grooming products can you list that have any resale value to speak of.
Gary

shmittytheloverboy

brothers wrote:Shmitty. Right - get em all! - finally some of this seems to be soaking in. The good thing about it, well two things, it's cheaper than almost anything else, and then, if you decide you don't want it, sell it or trade it. How many other personal care grooming products can you list that have any resale value to speak of.
Good point. I'm just trying to be wise with my money. I am leaning towards starting off with MWF because it is unscented and then eventually adding GFT Rose and DR Harris Lavender. With the MWF, I would have a versatile soap (because its unscented) which would serve as a base for many different AS and Cologne options. But eventually I'll want variety.