Face lather vs. in a bowl

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Magnus6208

Face lather vs. in a bowl

Post by Magnus6208 »

Gents,

This topic has been discussed to a great degree but I thought I would start another thread on it. When I started wet shaving, I used a bowl exclusively for both creams and soaps to generate my lather. I tried face lathering but I just didn't enjoy it as much for some reason. Recently, I have started to use a bowl when using creams and face lathering when using soaps, particulary MWF, as I have started to get a better quality lather from my hard soaps.

Does any else do this?

Regards,

Gary
95%

Post by 95% »

Gary, lately I've been using creams because I can more quickly load my brush with a large quantity of product. I mix vigorously in a bowl for about 45 seconds, adding drops of hot water, then spend about 15 seconds lathering on the face.
Porter
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Just the opposite. I started face-lathering with everything and it worked out fine. A soft-tipped brush and the extra time spent swirling on the face seemed to make the difference. My bowl looks nice sitting on the shelf, out of the way.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Face latherer for creams and soaps.

The only way to enjoy the MWF experience is to face lather. Once you go there, you never come back. :wink:

Image[/url]
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i tried every way over the years face and bowl and even in my hand..

i like using a bowl or mug and especially my scuttle.

i feel i have more control when making the lather. when apply the lather to my face i spend a good couple/few minutes doing it to get the lather into my beard and get the whiskers standing up as much as possible

use a shaving mug... the other benifit is having a place to put the brush

marc
UncleShakey

Face Lathering.

Post by UncleShakey »

All I do is face lather. Any other way is jyst a waste of product and face lathering not only works it feels good. You have to do it to get it on your beard right anyway.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

jww wrote:Face latherer for creams and soaps.

The only way to enjoy the MWF experience is to face lather. Once you go there, you never come back. :wink:

Image[/url]
+1 to that, Wendell!
Regards,
David
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

nothing beats a bowl/mug/scuttle. As Marc rightly says, you have much better control (woolies exempt from this HAHA)

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I think apparently geting better at face lathering over time is common. I think some of it comes from the brush breaking in. I find new brushes are better with bowl lathering. This is more pronounce with boar than badger. I would guess it's more pronounced with pure badger than higher grades, but I've avoided pure badgers as I don't like scratchy tips.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Englishman

Post by Englishman »

You know I was thinking about this question when I saw it and I have
to say I think I'm a half and half. I only use creams now and I scoop
out some cream and put it in my lovely chrome bowl and start to mix
it up with my brush, when it starts to get a bit lathery I then start on my
face and really lather it up.

Either I'm weird (Probably) or there are many others out there that just
don't realise that they do this. I think the reason I do it this way is so
the cream is well and truly evenly loaded on the brush and so my face
and beard gets a proper work out with the brush...

The best of both perhaps...... I know I'll go and sit in the corner now.. :lol:

Cheers,
Rico.
~ Rico ~
Magnus6208

Post by Magnus6208 »

Image[/url]
I couldn't agree more. My next goal is to be able to face lather and have enough lather to do a 4th pass if I do so desire. I am a bit of a lather hound. :)
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

ditto
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Face lather with all my soaps and usually start all my creams in my palm to mix and then on to the face.
Good shaving,

Gary
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

marsos52 wrote:i tried every way over the years face and bowl and even in my hand..

i feel i have more control when making the lather. when apply the lather to my face i spend a good couple/few minutes doing it to get the lather into my beard and get the whiskers standing up as much as possible

marc
yup
Take care and God bless,
Steve
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I used to lather in some desert dish. Then I treated myself to a nice Rooney brush and from then on I became a face latherer. To me it feels good and makes sense.
drumana

Post by drumana »

Ecosse wrote: I became a face latherer. To me it feels good and makes sense.
I agree. I face lather with both soaps and creams and don't see the need for a bowl.
-Andrew-
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

swarden43 wrote:
marsos52 wrote:i tried every way over the years face and bowl and even in my hand..

marc
yup
Agreed.

My skin doesn't tolerate face-lathering with even the softest brush and I rather like the aesthetic of the lathering bowl.

This works best for me, too.

- Murray
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Yeah, I basically do as you say you're now doing. I continue to think that the term 'face lathering' is misleading unless one is using a soap shave stick, or one squeezes the cream directly on to the brush and proceeds from there. Otherwise, one is doing some lathering prior to applying it to the face. I use a bowl to lather creams. With soaps I work up some lather on the soap surface and load the brush with it, and then proceed to apply it to my face. In either case, there is further 'lathering' on the face...working the lather into the beard.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i couldn't get a good lather with mwf till i face lathered. then it was great along with the polo. i think you need the right brush to appreciate face lathering. now for soaps i face lather. for creams i use my shavemac and my dirty bird scuttle. it's quite a different experience to face lather tabac with a polo or rooney and then switch to a hot scuttle and brush on cream with a tender brush.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gil, Well, see, once I have the lather in/on the brush, whether it's soap or cream, I then proceed the same way on my face. I don't vigorously 'lather' the soap stuff on my face, while 'gently brushing on' the cream lather. I apply both indentically.
Regards,
Gordon