My first MWF shave

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
JarmoP

My first MWF shave

Post by JarmoP »

Thank you Paul (suffolksupplies) for the fast delivery again, if you are reading this. I put the order on monday and friday evening the Mitchell's wool Fat soap refill was to be get from the post office.

It did fit perfectly onto my Tabac bowl. Just perfectly, maybe a half millimeter space left on the circumference and that will seal up nicely as the puck gets used. And no, I'm not ditching Tabac, this was an empty bowl, ready to be filled up.

So I went to shower and then got my badger brush to load the soap from the bowl. I used a shaken brush and did load it a long time, perhaps a minute. The reason being that I did not shake it perhaps enough and also that MWF is a bit harder soap than Tabac.

Then went to lather on the face and dipped 2 times on the sink to add moisturazation. I used my uncle's or father's aluminum handle Tech. It is debatable to whom it belonged, since my uncle is dead and my father insists it is his razor. I will never know for sure, lol. Anyways the shave was good.

As usual I did not rinse my face between the passes. just relathered and dipped once to sink to add moisturization. And nothing to complain about MWF. I had a good shave.

I was a abit worried about lanolin, since my first soap contained it too and I had a pretty allergic reaction to my face. Red all over. Just it was not from the soap I think, but instead the horrible boar brush that then soon also disengaged the hairs from the handle.

I am glad i got MWF and will alternate it between Tabac.

I also had Speick AS splash as a new product. Propably deserves another thread, but here goes: It is kind of citrosy in scent. The plastic grey cork is not really nice as it needs so many turns to open. And it does not have any stopper, so the thumb in the hole is a way to use it.

It was got cause I need some good AS for to substitute the place of my fabulous suberb finnish Barracuda AS from Berner that is extinct. I think I never find some that is exactly as good. Anyways this Speick seems good, despite the bad cork and spilling easy. The scent is now gone I think and will see tomorrow in the shower if some foul smell like from Tabac AS comes up.

Btw, not much difference in scent between mellowed Tabac and new MWF. I hope I can differentiate them in the future, since both in the same looking bowl.

Jarmo
Jarmo
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Sounds like you made the woolies proud! :lol:

I gave my tabac away before it 'mellowed' but I am surprised to read that it smells like mwf....that seems to be quite a loss of scent?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

It could have been also the Tabac bowl lid, some scent in there left. All I know is MWF is whiter than Tabac. That way i can tell the difference.

It is once I scraped my bowl ready for the MWF puck, I got some soap left to my fingernail. Yes Tabac has a longer lasting scent than most others. Good though that it does not send smell pills like Arko does all over the bathroom. Arko is banned from there..
Jarmo
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

mwf smells much better
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Oneeksi olkoon, Jarmolle!!!!

Glad to hear your first foray with MWF was successful. Sometimes it takes a few attempts to get it right, and you are certainly on the right track.

FWIW - I rinse my face between passes with MWF and find that it helps keep up the lather. A common complaint about MWF is that the lather fades when you don't have the water/soap mixture right. The additional water on my face after rinsing helps keep the lather flowing.

Also -- don't be shy to squeeze from the bottom of the brush a bit for the 2nd and 3rd passes -- you will be amazed at the amount of lather you will find deep down in the brush.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I, too, enjoy Tabac, still use it once in a while. But "The Fat" rules... 8)
Regards,
David
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

FWIW - I rinse my face between passes with MWF and find that it helps keep up the lather. A common complaint about MWF is that the lather fades when you don't have the water/soap mixture right. The additional water on my face after rinsing helps keep the lather flowing.

Also -- don't be shy to squeeze from the bottom of the brush a bit for the 2nd and 3rd passes -- you will be amazed at the amount of lather you will find deep down in the brush.
Wendell, for me it has always been better when face lathering to apply the brush quite soapy. It is this way with first pass and when I dip the brush hairs to sink and continue, the lather will build. Paint brush style always the finish.

It is with the other passes, the brush will feel also quite dry, though it contains a lots of soap and lather if squeezed. If my face was rinsed it would have too much water in my opinion and would upset the lathering process and make it messy. And I am a firm believer in soapy paste first and then adding water. By keeping the brush quite dry and adding the water by dipping to sink I can control better the the lather. It will never get too moist or thin. And yes there will be a lots of lather if I need a touch up pass after the 3rd ATG one. Just it usually goes to sink when I clear the brush.

This is with badger hair brushes, the boar brushes work differently. They cannot be dipped to sink to add water to brush, the only thing that happens is the soap will exit there too.

EDIT: Another fine shave from MWF today. I used my 54 flair tipped Super Speed and though it is just an ok razor for me, no irritations.
Jarmo
drumana

Post by drumana »

Congrats on the MWF success... I think your puck smells like Tabac because it's in the Tabac bowl... to my nose they are nothing alike. Both are nice though.

MWF was once my favorite soap and somehow it just sort of petered out for me. I've recently slimmed down my soap collection and MWF surprisingly didn't make the cut. Tabac is currently my #1. And it is housed in the MWF ceramic bowl. Blasphemy!!!
-Andrew-
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

Surprised that you don't see a difference in scent, but I guess everyone's nose is different.

Except with one particular brush, I've had nothing but great lather from the Fat. Glad to see another Fat Lover join the fold.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

This MWF is really a good shave soap. This morning I took a shave after having skipped yesterday and used my Feather Portable, Tech clone though more aggressive that I got from Pauldog. It is a bit tricky to load a blade to it and check if the blade exposure is even since there are some tolerances for the blade to adjust. And there was some beard growth to shave.

Lets just say that now the FP got over my Super Speeds that are nice to have as a history since the 1954 is 4 years older than me, but so far they are my worst shavers. My razors on my signature get graded how I feel them give the best shave.

I loaded from the puck the soap to my now shaken and also slightly squeezed brush, lathered the brush mashed on my face, paint brush style from the brush sides and dipped to sink twice to sink and applyed it smashed again and finishing with paint swipes from the sides.

There was no tugging feeling with that FP loaded with a new Red pack Personna blade on the WTG pass. And I managed to get XTG and ATG passes, even ATG on my upper lip so that there was no red spots to be seen and no irritation at all.

MWF might be more finicky in that you need to shake the brush out from water and load it well to brush. I suspect some people complaining being that they go to the puck with a too damp brush. Best to go with a squeezed brush and then after add the moisturization.

I have to say that I am amazed of the shave quality I got from that humble Feather Portable that I always thought was perhaps a bit too aggressive razor.

Jarmo
Jarmo
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

yes mwf gives the most protection of any soap or cream i have ever used

with that said.. its makes shaving with a aggressive style razor easier and more pleasurable

and if you get a weeper mwf is heal it up fast tooo

ooo the scent and it makes your skin feel so goood

marc
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

marsos52 wrote:yes mwf gives the most protection of any soap or cream i have ever used

with that said.. its makes shaving with a aggressive style razor easier and more pleasurable

and if you get a weeper mwf is heal it up fast tooo

ooo the scent and it makes your skin feel so goood

marc

+1,000 .... gotta love the Fat. Contribute to the spread of MWF adoration. Hug a sheep today!

Wendell

ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

JarmoP wrote:I suspect some people complaining being that they go to the puck with a too damp brush. Best to go with a squeezed brush and then after add the moisturization.
I'd say that's one a few common problems. Really hard water and soaking the puck seem to be the other common issues. I do have an Omega boar (small travel model) that just doesn't work with MWF. I think the soap reacts to some substance I haven't determined in such way to make disappearing lather, but if you can avoid that substance MWF make the absolute best lather.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Hug a sheep today!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

too funny :lol: :lol:
de gustibus non est disputandum
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i would rather hug one than **** one haha
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

marsos52 wrote:i would rather hug one than **** one haha

:shock: :shock: :twisted: :twisted:..... :lol:
Regards,
David
Gene

Post by Gene »

marsos52 wrote:i would rather hug one than **** one haha
Own?

Have for dinner?

Have to shear?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Hugging a sheep is therapeutic.

And if there isn't one around to hug - then lather up the Fat! :wink:
Wendell

marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

gene ,,,,,, you used all three of your guesses

sorry to say ,,,,three strikes and you are out!!!!!!

haha
kpf1979

Post by kpf1979 »

Just to jump in on this thread, instead of starting one of my own. I had my first MWF shave this morning. I have to admit, I was a little concerned by the Fat’s reputation as a finicky, temperamental soap. My concerns were unfounded; I didn’t really have any trouble. I made a test lather few nights ago and it was, maybe, a bit thin, but it was probably perfectly usable. I think I didn’t load the brush quite long enough. My lather this morning was much better, and I had a very comfortable, very relaxing shave. It’s getting a place in the rotation, but I don’t know if it’s going to displace my top soaps. All in all, I am impressed with the quality of my first shave with the Fat.

-Kevin