My first MWF shave

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

kpf1979 wrote:Just to jump in on this thread, instead of starting one of my own. I had my first MWF shave this morning. I have to admit, I was a little concerned by the Fat’s reputation as a finicky, temperamental soap. My concerns were unfounded; I didn’t really have any trouble. I made a test lather few nights ago and it was, maybe, a bit thin, but it was probably perfectly usable. I think I didn’t load the brush quite long enough. My lather this morning was much better, and I had a very comfortable, very relaxing shave. It’s getting a place in the rotation, but I don’t know if it’s going to displace my top soaps. All in all, I am impressed with the quality of my first shave with the Fat.

-Kevin
Well done! Nothing like a shave with The Fat.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I am also a member of the fat fan club.
Regards,
Squire
sparkster123

Post by sparkster123 »

i just ordered mwf and was wondering how long on average does mwf lasts.
randy

woolfat woolster
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Randy, with daily use, a cake should last you at least 3 months.
Regards,
Jani
druphus

Post by druphus »

It's really great stuff, but I'm allegic to lanoline. It took about 5 shaves for me to rediscover this.

I think I might be able to tolerate one shave a year with the FAT however. I'll try on my birthday in 2010.

I'm wondering when MWF is coming out with a Cologne, so Wendall can get into the fragrance world.
Regards,
Andy
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

druphus wrote:...
I'm wondering when MWF is coming out with a Cologne, so Wendall can get into the fragrance world.
Actually, I've been hoping for a stick version for years but one has not been forthcoming. :(
Wendell

marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

mwf cologne!! im up for that..
sparkster123

Post by sparkster123 »

well bullgoose has informed me that my woolfat will be here tuesday. maybe ill be a covert. if it will last a few months that will be a plus.
randy

woolfat woolster
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

randy, Mitchells Woolfat is what it is which is to say a shaving soap one could use exclusively, it's that good. Some guys can't use it because of a lanolin sensitivity but other than that it's just a matter of getting the water ratio right which may take a few tries.
Regards,
Squire
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

3 months could be a little underestimate, I'd predict more like a half year, if only used and no other soaps or creams. I like MWF a lot and my water is soft.
Jarmo
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i had to agree with you jarmo....i use only two soaps

MWF and trumpers and i basically go thru one puck of each in a year

marc
sparkster123

Post by sparkster123 »

marsos52 wrote:i had to agree with you jarmo....i use only two soaps

MWF and trumpers and i basically go thru one puck of each in a year

marc
this is sounding promising i hope i enjoy the soaps i ordered this would be great.
randy

woolfat woolster
sparkster123

Post by sparkster123 »

ok got the fat a few days ago. best shave i have had so far. waited untill i tried it a few shaves to make this opinion. left my skin feeling great.

if i didnt read up on this i dont think i would have been able to get it to lather. once i got the hang of it it works like a dream. first time i have been able to use a derby without a bit of iritation. no weepers.

had no idea these soaps worked like this. saw dirty jobs where mike rowe was working on a sheep ranch and thought of my mitchels wool fat shaving cream. go figure
randy

woolfat woolster
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I haven't been on the fat for a while as I'm trying out new stuff and giving others in the rotation a chance. The thing I've found with MWF, is that being a face latherer, its easy to over load the brush with the soap and by the third and forth pass gobs of lather is spewing out of the brush and making a big mess.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Ecosse wrote:... The thing I've found with MWF, is that being a face latherer, its easy to over load the brush with the soap and by the third and forth pass gobs of lather is spewing out of the brush and making a big mess.
But Gary, that's half the fun of MWF -- the gobs of spewing lather. :lol:
Wendell

Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

A wooly mess is a good mess. :D
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

ok got the fat a few days ago. best shave i have had so far. waited untill i tried it a few shaves to make this opinion. left my skin feeling great.
Wellcome to the fellows of Fat club sparkster.

I've been lately able to restrict my shaves to using just 2 passes. First XTG and WTG where that is not possible. Then second an ATG/XTG pass with some touch ups. With just as good results as with my 3 pass shaves. MWF perhaps inspired me in that, it being so protective in lather.
Jarmo
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Niin on Jarmo -- the Fat does indeed allow for marvelous results if treated nicely. :D
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

I've enjoyed my MWF shaves very much over the past three days. I'm thinking about staying with it for a few more. When I've been away from the fat for a while it seems to take me a couple of days to reach the peak levels of lathering again. Bad habits and such. It's definitely good for the skin, and protective. It's a good soap to have around.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
sparkster123

Post by sparkster123 »

well im hooked on it. i can see this being my main soap.
randy

woolfat woolster