Coates for me!

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I am one who tried Coates Lime and was not impressed....with the scent. I found it highly synthetic smelling. It might have been an older batch-same container as recent TOBS container. Performance was good. Was not dehydrated at all either. Almost had the same color and consistency as my GFT Limes. Sold it off and and dont miss it. Wish I would have had the opportunity to try the Sandalwood or Tea tree.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, there you are. And BobS felt that the CF smelled like lifesavers...and that and the Coate's are/were the two that used real straight lime oil to scent. So, straight EO is not always perceived as 'better' and scent preference is certainly a individual matter when all is said and done.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Mike, too much of a good thing is a good thing.
Regards,
Squire
mike

Post by mike »

I've been around this forum for almost 5 years and I don't really rave about too many products, because I realize that everyone is different and ymmv and all that, however coates just blew me away. It reminds me of some of the first creams I used when I got started in all this. I like the muted scents.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mike, Yep. My view and experiance as well. Nobody offers a cream quite on that level anymore, the pots of T&H now probably being the closest.
Regards,
Gordon
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Sorry, NOT paying $13.66 for shipping to the colonies, mermaids' bosoms notwithstanding. The free shipping voucher code has expired, dangit.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

m3m0ryleak wrote:Sorry, NOT paying $13.66 for shipping to the colonies, mermaids' bosoms notwithstanding. The free shipping voucher code has expired, dangit.
bummer, dude! but,,,i think you can order at least 3 tubs and still only pay 13.66! so maybe buy and extra tub, then sell it for a slight profit to cover part of the shipping. it may be your last opportunity
:(
my sandalwood came with a cracked tub and seth (?) said he would send something extra with my second shipment. so if it's coates i'll send it to you tony.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

bernards66 wrote:Mike, Yep. My view and experiance as well. Nobody offers a cream quite on that level anymore, the pots of T&H now probably being the closest.
Regards,
Gordon
If we have something that is 'close' to the godly status that Coates is given, I'll save my extra few pennies and go with what's regularly available.
mike

Post by mike »

Ecosse wrote:
bernards66 wrote:Mike, Yep. My view and experiance as well. Nobody offers a cream quite on that level anymore, the pots of T&H now probably being the closest.
Regards,
Gordon
If we have something that is 'close' to the godly status that Coates is given, I'll save my extra few pennies and go with what's regularly available.
Its regularly available to me! :D
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

When they were all still around Coates didn't have the exalted status accorded to it now. Trumpers generally got the highest marks with many members chiming in to say Taylors was almost as good and a better value.

Coates lime had a great scent and their Lavender was one of the most exceptional creams I've ever used. As for the rest of the line I'd rather have 10 tubes of Wars for the price of one pot of Coates.
Regards,
Squire
mike

Post by mike »

Sadly, the others are not still around, at least not in their former formulation. Since Coates hasn't been made in quite some time, it is really the only opportunity to experience the "old formula".
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I agree Mike and if one is willing to pay for the experience I say go for it. The point of my stated preference is there are a lot of inexpensive shaving creams out there that serve just fine.
Regards,
Squire
mike

Post by mike »

We are in agreement. I have several fine inexpensive creams: Old Spice, Wars, MEM, and Erasmic just to name a few.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Smack me silly if I resurrect this thread, but just wanted to add that through
the graciousness of Gil, I too was able to experience Coates Sandalwood with a sample he sent me. Scent is subtle like Trumper's, nowhere near as bold as TOBS, Salter, or T&H. If, as you all have stated, this cream has been out of production for awhile, then my nose did indeed detect a certain mustiness that fought with overall scent of what I would call old world gentleman for lack of a better term. A peanut sized dab quickly become a opalescent velvet lather in my bowl that shaved well. Better than the other English creams I have tried?. I'm too much of a rookie to make a definitive statement, but I can understand why long timers mourn its passing.
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

I am really disappointed that I came onto this scene too late to try the coates, from all reports was a fantastic cream.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Thanks Marty, I am going to order some right now :)