An Old Trick in a New Guise

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Do you guys know if the T and H hard soap is identical to L'Occitane's hard soap ? The ingredients list is identical and to the best of my knowledge the T and H soap is the only "English" hard soap that contains mineral oil/paraffinum liquidum.

Chris
tigert

Post by tigert »

I have used the L'occitane soap but not T&H, but I believe T&H soap is unscented and the L'occitane soap I have is definately scented. The L'occitane soap is decent, but I much prefer Trumpers soaps or even C&E.
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

The L'occitane soap is $12 and can be found at any L'occitane store or on the web at http://www.loccitane.com. I used it this AM and it is decent, but not the best I have used. In hard soaps, I still prefer Boellis of Napoli.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, While I suppose that it's possible, I doubt that the l'Occitane and the T&H are the same soap. In the past, the Floris shave soaps also contained mineral oil, although they may not today. Those Floris soaps also lathered copiously, much like the T&H and the Joris. I'll have to pry either my T&H or the Trumpers Lime soap out of it's wooden bowl, and try this business of flooding it with water prior to lathering it. Sounds promising. I must admit though, that I am fond of those tasteful wooden bowls. Regards, Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris (dr), Well, I've used English shave soaps for over twenty years, but I've always left them in their niffty wooden bowls. Never really occured to me to do otherwise. With the Joris soap, of course, I had to find a suitable cup, as it is sold without a bowl. I did think that the Joris lathered uncommon well, but I simple chalked it up to the soap itself ( which, I think, it partially was ), and didn't give the cup a thought. But this AM, remembering your suggestion, I recalled that I had a loose cake of Penhaligon's shave soap in the closet. I dragged it out, and fitted it into a sturdy tea cup, and then filled the cup to the brim with hot water, and let it sit while I readied my razor, brush, etc. Poured the water off, and yes, I would say that I definately got more good lather then I had with that soap before. A definate improvement, no doubt about it. Thanks for the tip. Regards, Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ok, someone riddle me this: does the hot water on the soap bit work better than the use of that rival water heater method?

sam
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris: I was unclear. THis post was read by me to indicate that some pour just hot tap water on the cake soap, let it sit a couple of minutes and then pour the water out and get a great lather that way. Joel and others have posted elsewhere about using a rival hot water heater and joel has some pics showing he soaks his brush in the hot water he just made. Is he damaging his brush? and has anyone done both ways and have a preference?

sam
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

so, i guess chris you are saying that maybe the hot water pot is not a good idea for the brush? so many have posted that they have gotten great, great lather from that. i mean, maybe 6 or 7 guys ran out to get this device. i dont know that i would SOAk the brush, but dip it into the water for what, 10 seconds, enough to get the bristles hot?

wonder what gordon and others say about the effect on the brush.

sam
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ok, i tried the hot water on top of a soap tonight, a cake of classicshaving. while i did get great, i mean, great lather, it kinda melted the soap cake. anyone else have this experience with the classic soaps? if it continues to lather like this and not melt, ill stock up on a ton of rays soaps, get one trumper violet and a taylor rose and i am good to go

sam
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Sam,

Did you try the Joris Soap with this method?
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i have about half a cake of rays soap sitting on top of a joris cake soap that all rests in a mug that i got from ray. the joris was almost a perfect fit. but rays soap melted on me, kinda like they said the conk did, when i used hot tap water and soaked the cake in the water for like 20 seconds

sam
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Sam,

YOu said you had the classic soap on top of the joris?

What about melting a piece of a cake of classic to fill in the loose edges?
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

I am currently using the Rival hot pot in my shaving routine. I only use creams and technically the water is not boiling when I dip my brush in it. I bring the water to a boil and then pour it into a large mug. Once the heat source is removed the water is no longer boiling but it is VERY hot. I don't think it is damaging the brush. Actually, the brush is softer and more supple that it has ever been. Go figure.

Vince
:::Vince:::