Vulfix Sicilian Lime

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
AFG

Post by AFG »

I used the Taylor Lemon Lime yesterday and as usual I got a very fine shave with it. I am rarely disappointed with the results I get from this cream and if I am, it is probably for some reason other than the cream. As Squire said, it is much more of a lemon scent than lime. The CF is great stuff. If you want a strong lime scent, this is probably the one you want although the price is high. It does take less product than some other creams and the size of the tub is a bit larger so that offsets the cost somewhat.
Al
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Lime creams in general?....sigh....well, at the end of the day, after all these years, the Trumpers is still my favourite. It's not quite a straight lime oil scent, like CF or the late lamented Coate's, but it pretty close, and muted and tasteful. While I liked the scent of the CF and Coate's, all that straight lime oil seemed to have a bit of a drying/irritating effect on my skin, especially the CF. The Taylors and T&H both shave as well as the Trumpers, I think, but their scents are more blended, brasher, if you will. Of those two, though, I prefer the Taylors and the last pot of the Lemon/Lime I had was just an excellently made cream, perfect texture. It got used up to the last little bit between myself and my younger son.
Regards,
Gordon
stephen732

Post by stephen732 »

Sodapopjones wrote:
Squire wrote:Castle Forbes has a great scent. Taylors cream is tops but the lemon-lime scent is more lemon to me.
Hows the shave though?

It would save me a ton just to order it through WCS with my razor I wanted.
well i just got the godrej menthol mist cream and i hope its as good as you think the lime is. can't wait for the next shave :D
1907 Gillette model 102
Merkur long handle open comb
Wars cream (Poland)
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

Gordon,
Have you used KMF's Key Lime cream? If so, what's your take on it, and how does it compare to the top English lime creams of yore, and their current offerings?

I ask becuase I've never used any of the English limes, but I do really like the KMF and have been looking for another nice lime cream.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tom, The KMF shave creams are rather a different type of product; more lotiony, slicker lather, less cushion. That type of cream is not my thing. The old style English creams are denser, less slippery, with more cushion when lathered. As far as scent goes, the KMF seemed pretty straight up 'lime', so, the closest still made would probably be the Trumpers.
Regards,
Gordon
Ken

Post by Ken »

Actually, although I like to think I prefer natural oil fragrances, with lime I usually do not. Products with a lot of lime oil smell to me like lime Lifesavers. Trumper's Limes on the other hand is more reminiscent of the fruit or juice of the lime (though the comparison should not be looked at too closely) and I prefer that.

Ken
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Aaron the Taylor creams shave about as well as any.
Regards,
Squire
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Ken wrote:Actually, although I like to think I prefer natural oil fragrances, with lime I usually do not. Products with a lot of lime oil smell to me like lime Lifesavers. Trumper's Limes on the other hand is more reminiscent of the fruit or juice of the lime (though the comparison should not be looked at too closely) and I prefer that.

Ken
Have you tried the Castle Forbes Lime? It's lime-y, but not like a lifesaver.
Contributing Member to the Cause
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

Squire wrote:Aaron the Taylor creams shave about as well as any.
Sweet!

Santa may be bringing me a tub :D

I know its not lime related but after using the EJ Aloe soap, I reallllllllly want to try that cream too.

The soap reminds me of Eternity for men and dryer fabric softener sheets in a weird way :lol:

Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Tye,

I've got to disagree with you on this. I think it smells very much like a lime Lifesaver--although I will admit it has been many years since I actually had a lime Lifesaver.

Ken