Tabac Original

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Tim

Tabac Original

Post by Tim »

I see quite a few of you gentleman use this product. Would you believe that i've NEVER tried it! . I'm thinking of ordering a stick and some of the cologne

How does it lather up? Could anyone tell me a little of the history of this product. I'm intriqued

Regards
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Tim, Tabac is a German product that has been around for years. It has a fresh soapy scent. The soap lathers well and also lubricates well. It is one of my favorites. The cologne has the same scent and lasts on my person about 8 hours. Both are quality products that are priced right. Enjoy.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks Austin. I see it's been around since '59, and i've never tried it! Thats very strange for me...i can't believe how i've missed it.

Well i've placed a small order for a shaving stick and 50ml of the cologne.
I'm looking forward to this..

Regards
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Tim, if you like the Tabac cologne, you can buy the 10 ounce bottle for less then $25 at www.scentiments.com .
Dick Danger

Post by Dick Danger »

I like the soap, I wish I didn't have to pay for the glass bowl every time though.
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

I love Tabac. I can't thank Dr. Moss enough for his review which lead me to it. It provides a great shave with an awesome "clean" scent. Great stuff.
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
Tim

Post by Tim »

Chris,
Recieved my first ever tabac products today ( shave-stick and eau de toilette), havn't used them yet.....but the smell is....GREAT!!!!

Think this is going to be my ''all purpose'' scent from now on..

Tim
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Tim wrote:Chris,
Recieved my first ever tabac products today ( shave-stick and eau de toilette), havn't used them yet.....but the smell is....GREAT!!!!

Think this is going to be my ''all purpose'' scent from now on..

Tim
It is indeed a great scent that seems to be well received by everyone. Almost universally unoffensive. Great stuff!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Afternoon, I think that Chris' description is apt, i.e. a sort of German Old Spice. I found that the Tabac shave soap ( in the bowl ) lathered very well, very rich, but unfortunately, there is something in it that irritates my skin after a couple of shaves. I've never tried the shaving cream. While I don't dislike the scent, per se, and in fact, wore it for a bit, years ago, I find it to be too a.....penetrating, even in the A/S formulation. It's just too strong and 'in your face' for me.
Regards,
Gordon
smf64

Post by smf64 »

Chris,

It’s interesting you mentioning it.
As a young man I always viewed Tabac as an Old Spice imitation, due to the fact that they both used a kind of ceramic look bottles.
I am not even sure which came first, but where I come from, Old Spice was available first.
Maury
Tim

Post by Tim »

bernards66 wrote: I found that the Tabac shave soap ( in the bowl ) lathered very well, very rich, but unfortunately, there is something in it that irritates my skin after a couple of shaves. I've never tried the shaving cream. While I don't dislike the scent, per se, and in fact, wore it for a bit, years ago, I find it to be too a.....penetrating, even in the A/S formulation. It's just too strong and 'in your face' for me.
Regards,
Gordon
Well thats the Germans for you gordon :wink:
Just had my first shave with tabac cream this morning. Lathered up very nicely and got a nice shave from it. Certainly hasn't replace my beloved truefitt&hill, but very nice nonetheless

In many ways it is a very 'Germanic' kind of scent, as gordon rightly says, penetrating, inyourface, strong and persistant...all germanic qualities in my book

Funny thing is, when i smelt the creamy soap on my face i immediately thought of 'hospital' for some reason...
Drew

Post by Drew »

I found several U.S. websites that are selling just the Tabac shave soap refills (4.4 0zs!) for around $17.50, delivered. my google search was:
"tabac" soap... I was happy to be able to buy the refill without having to pay up for a glass tub that I don't really need. I believe the place I purchased from offered the soap for $11.60, with about $6 shipping...

Drew
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Charles at QED sells the soap including the glass tub for $15. A very good deal.
Climb14er

Post by Climb14er »

I've been buying Tabac from www.parfum1.com for many years. I find the fragrance fits me very well and receive compliments from almost everyone who comes in contact with the fragrance.

The prices are the best I've seen anywhere. I also consider the fragrance to be on the rather mild side and not penetrating or over bearing. It's the subtlety of the fragrance that people compliment me on.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

Jeez, a few months ago everyone was lamenting the fact that no one in North America carried Tabac shave soap, that you had to order it from Europe, etc.

Now we have QED and another domestic source, both at very attractive prices.

Life just keeps getting better and better. :lol:

Greg
Drew

Post by Drew »

Well, I've received and used my Tabac soap and it is quite good. The lather is super rich and thick. The scent is a little stronger than I like in a soap. It's a nice scent, just kind of strong. However, I think it's growing on me. It really is as good a lather as I have found... not better than DR Harris, but on par. That 4.4 oz cake will last forever... especially considering I have 9 other soaps/creams in my rotation. I just received a wooden bowl of Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad soap. I will try that tomorrow.

Drew
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

One of our fine gents (Dick Danger) was kind enough to send me a cake of Tabac. I don't know if I'm ready to call it my favorite shaving soap just yet, but the first shave was excellent. It is very easy to generate a rich mix. The strong scent reminds me a lot of Caswell-Massey Number Six. The acid test is to see if I get any redness on my neck after three or four days of consecutive use. We shall see....
Brett
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

GregPQ wrote:Jeez, a few months ago everyone was lamenting the fact that no one in North America carried Tabac shave soap, that you had to order it from Europe, etc.

Greg
Make it three. Colonial Drug in Cambridge, MA. also carries Tabac.
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

I ordered the Tabac soap from Charles, I should receive it soon.

Jeff
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Cliff wrote:
GregPQ wrote:Jeez, a few months ago everyone was lamenting the fact that no one in North America carried Tabac shave soap, that you had to order it from Europe, etc.

Greg
Make it three. Colonial Drug in Cambridge, MA. also carries Tabac.
Really? That's awesome. I'm over there all the time. I ought to stop in.