"Vintage" Lavender Soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
RazorRamone

"Vintage" Lavender Soaps

Post by RazorRamone »

Gentlemen,

I could use your esteemed assistance...

I hate losing out on EBay bids - especially on vintage lavender soaps that I would love to try. (i.e. Yardley, Paislays, Wrisley's, etc.) Currently, my conscience won't allow me to pull the trigger on taking these bids into goofy figures. One could argue the bidding prices have already reached these levels.

Are these soaps that much better than today's top Lavender soaps? (i.e. Harris or AOS.) Or should I spend $100++ on one of these dried up shaving pucks that someone found in Grandpa's old shaving kit?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

RR
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

The soaps you mentioned are very good, BUT, to me it would be absurd to spend a $100 or more for any of them....unless you have buckets of money and it really doesn't matter.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

The vintage soaps you mentioned are very good, especially the Yardley, but don't pay exorbitant prices. Scouring the antiques/collectibles shops might eventually pay off. It did for me...I found a Yardley set with a sealed bowl of soap for $15 at one shop and a slightly used Yardley for $10 in another.
Rich
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

But... Are they better?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

RR, Better than Harris's or Trumpers? No, I don't think so....certainly not markedly so.
Regards,
Gordon
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Does a woman hocky player drink beer and smoke cigars? :lol:
Better is subjective. If a friend let you drive his Emiliano Zapata MK 4 convertable 120 MPH once is it better than your daily ride the rest of the year? This isn't some Mad Max movie where discontinued soap pucks are sought after like crumbling 12 guage shotgun shells. If some of the contemporary offerings didn't work this forum would look like ZZ Top.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

They are absolutely not worth it. Know in good conscience that the D.R. Harris Lavender is just as good and better smelling(individual). Performance wise there isn't much of a difference. Those Penhaligon's soaps are not worth their money either. Exhorbitant prices for a refill. A puck of Trumper's, D.R. Harris, T&H, or MWF is much cheaper and will bring you to the same place of joy. One other very good performer is the L'Occitane soap, although I can't stand the scent of it. A few other great candidates are the Creed soaps and the Knize soap. All fantastic performers. Let's not forget about the great shave sticks abound as well.
Regards,
Jani
Furrball2

Post by Furrball2 »

KAV wrote:Does a woman hocky player drink beer and smoke cigars? :lol:
When I lived in the women's ice hockey house for a summer in college they drank beer and used chew and dip.
Pen: Namiki
Razor: Merkur (Vision 2000) now 38C
Blades: Feather
Brush: Muhle-Pimsel silvertip
SureFire Executive Defender
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

RR, only you can determine whether they are worth it , to me they are not. As for performance Harris Almond works as well as any.
Regards,
Squire
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

Thanks guys. I am done chasing these bids. Harris Lavender it is...

KAV - Nothing wrong with our Olympic womens hockey team having a cigar and beer after a big win.

Speaking of Canadian hockey... I think I am going to watch the re-runs of both the mens & womens' hockey finals while sipping some Goldschlager and feeding the goldfish too.

I wonder if I should shave with Golddach tomorrow?

Beers and cigars for all Canadians!!!!
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

I have two vintage soaps that came in lots from ebay. They are both wonderful performers, but they did not cost me a bundle - the sellers did not really know what they had, I suppose. I didnt know, either, until I gave them a try!
I would add this note to the discussion: If there are some excellent soaps being made now that you really like, buy a few pucks and keep them because they may be reformulated or discontinued. And, as long as a puck can potentially last, one would not many to last a lifetime.
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)