GFT Violet SC

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
loueedacat1

GFT Violet SC

Post by loueedacat1 »

Just used my old GFT Violet SC, which I don't think I've picked up since 2007 or so. Pretty darn good stuff! Smells kind of goofy though - not sure why I got violet. :roll:
Julius_Rodman

Re: GFT Violet SC

Post by Julius_Rodman »

loueedacat1 wrote:Just used my old GFT Violet SC, which I don't think I've picked up since 2007 or so. Pretty darn good stuff! Smells kind of goofy though - not sure why I got violet. :roll:

i bought it because the charmer behind the counter assured me it was the best for "very sensitive skin".

a rookie mistake, thinking i had that one in 10 billion special case of skin sensitivity... ho ho ho... :wink:

but in fact i had an allergic reaction and it left a grand set of hives and blemishes each time.

took me about 30 shaves to conclude this wasn't for me.

all other GFT creams are the greatest though.

--------------

Kent
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

The old GFT Violet cream? If this has not gone off, as they say, this is a rarity and, well, I'd have things to trade you for it
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

Sam wrote:The old GFT Violet cream? If this has not gone off, as they say, this is a rarity and, well, I'd have things to trade you for it
I think I bought it around the time of the dreaded reformulation, and at a store with low volume, so it may well be the old stuff. I forget, is there a sure way to know (like address on the lid or something?)

What do you mean by "gone off" by the way?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jeez!...if you've got a pot of the old stuff you're fortunate indeed. And...a...keep an eye out for a shady looking Memphis lawyer sneaking up behind you with a sap in his hand, or a slightly crazed looking middle aged Briton with same....I'm just sayin'....
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gone off, meaning that the smell has turned a bit rancid. I had a pot of the Trumper's Almond and sent it to Gordon and he told me that it had turned. I never knew and my sniffer is not the most reliable
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

I don't know if it's rancid - don't think so. I think it just has a goofy violet smell - didn't gross me out anyway. Shaves like a dream for sure. Almond would be easier to detect a souring in just because it's sweeter to begin with.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bigad Sam! I believe he has the real thing!....umm...now what do we do? And he thinks it's "goofy".....'taint right I tell ya....
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

cat, get with me if u want to trade or sell it
Bob

Post by Bob »

Gordon! Sam! Why can't one of you just bite the bullet and buy a brand new pot? Then you can tell me if it's safe to buy yet. :wink:
--Bob--
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, Oh no you don't!....not me....why don't YOU buy one, eh? Honestly, I doubt that there's much hope for that one. I feel comfortable that any past texture issues are resolved, but I think they changed the scent for good. May have been in response to one of those wacky EU fragrance police directives that Michael keeps us updated on.
Regards,
Gordon