Three 3 unique shaving soaps ---

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Three 3 unique shaving soaps ---

Post by brothers »

I'd like to introduce my 3 unique soaps, in the bowl ---

First, you'll see the light colored wooden bowl in the foreground, and you'll recognize Musgo Real by the color. I took a new empty Kingsley bowl and emptied two brand new tubes of Musgo Real Shaving Cream into it and left it to dry on the top shelf of the closet for about 6 or 8 weeks. I did this more than 6 months ago. It has resulted in a very fine, relatively hard shaving soap.

The white soap in the dark bowl is La Toja Sensitive. It is only one of the large tubes from Vintage Scent. The La Toja shaving cream is more like a lotion, and it didn't dry as solid as the Musgo did, it's very good as a soap also. It's a bit softer, so it probably won't last as long as the Musgo and the Proraso.

The soap in the old Yardley bowl is Proraso (COBigelow actually). This is the one that started this whole experiment, when the lid on the tube broke and I just emptied the tube into the bowl to see what was going to happen.

Aren't they beautiful! If you think they look good, you ought to try shaving with them. They're amazingly good. Also, this method is excellent for guys who don't like to spend (waste) a bunch of time futzing around with squirting stuff out of tubes and having to have a bowl to lather in, and stuff like that. Just squirt the whole thing in the bowl and let it dry out until you want to shave with it by lathering it on your face. Couldn't be easier.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drumana

Post by drumana »

Hey Gary... I've done the same exact thing - C.O. Bigelow and Musgo Real shave creams in Kingsley shave bowls. I initially did it with the Bigelow because the cap broke (crappy caps, huh...) and also because I prefer soaps to creams. It's easier for me to get the water/soap/air ratio that I want.

Anyways, works great. They turn to a soft soap, like Cella...
-Andrew-
brothers

Post by brothers »

Andrew, you were probably the one who brought it to my attention. Thanks!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
soapbuddy

Post by soapbuddy »

I really like these bowls. How well do they do over time? Do they ever warp due to water?
Irena
Handmade Soap Artisan
http:www.gingersgarden.com
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have not seen any warping, but it is wood, and that's probably one of the natural risks depending on the grain and the degree to which they are subjected to being wet or damp. Knowing that, I do try to make sure I've wiped any water off the lid and the outside of the bowl after I use them. The lids seem to fit well. Not too tight or too loose.
Gary

soapbuddy

Post by soapbuddy »

brothers wrote:I have not seen any warping, but it is wood, and that's probably one of the natural risks depending on the grain and the degree to which they are subjected to being wet or damp. Knowing that, I do try to make sure I've wiped any water off the lid and the outside of the bowl after I use them. The lids seem to fit well. Not too tight or too loose.
Thank you. That's good to know. I've been eyeing one of these bowls for me.
Irena
Handmade Soap Artisan
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

How does the scent hold up?
Eric
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, I hope what I say doesn't offend you, but you really belong in the SMF super geek squad :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

How Cool is that! 8)
Gary

drumana

Post by drumana »

Flash G wrote:How does the scent hold up?
Not as well as when it's in the tube, but it didn't fade too much.
-Andrew-
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Gary,

That's awesome! I've been meaning to get some kingsley bowls as they're relatively cheap.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The CO Bigelow lasted about a year, and now it's just an empty bowl. I didn't use it up, it just turned into an unscented candle without a wick. I scraped it out and washed out the bowl.

Now I am using the COB out of a fresh tube. 1 down, and 2 to go. I think the Musgo will last longer than the LaToja sensitive. We'll see, I reckon.
Gary

soapbuddy

Post by soapbuddy »

Nice bowls indeed. I tend to use the plastic bowls with a lid that I got at the local store.
Irena
Handmade Soap Artisan