Boots shaving soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
gdc

Boots shaving soap

Post by gdc »

Good day all.

Having recently devoured a pot of Taylor's St James cream rather quicker than I was expecting, I decided to try something a bit different, and picked up some Boots shaving soap (in the black plastic tub, not the stick) from my local branch (about GBP£2.50) . I'm not normally a soap person, although I have tried some in the past - mostly sticks when travelling.

I'm loving this soap! I would describe my technique with it as 50% getting a good lather going in the bowl, and then transfering to the face for a further scrubbing for the second 50%. I do need to return to the bowl between passes, unlike my normal creams, but my Rooney brush does tend to hold on to the soap a bit. It shaves as good as with the Taylor's cream, and I like the simple, mild, soapy-shave scent.

It feels quite strange not dashing over to Jermyn St to replenish my creams instantly, but I think I will stick with this for a while!
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Truthfully, I think the Boots soap in the bowl is quite good, considering the fact that it's not at all expensive. The lather is rich, once you get it going, and it leaves the skin felling comfortable and smooth. The scent is not really my thing, but I suppose I can live with it. I don't like the stick version very much--I find it hard to lather it up.
JEFF
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Last edited by joe mcclaine on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExecAccess

Post by ExecAccess »

Oh I do miss Boots! Nostalgic sigh!
www.executiveaccessories.com.au - mens fashion accessories and skin care online in Australia.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I am finding that if I don't care much for a particular product's fragrance, I just don't use them.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

I find Boots to be a solid performer. I like to make the lather a bit on the wet side when using Boots. It seems to dry out slightly faster than I prefer. All in all though it is a good soap for the price.
Rich
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

This is another English brand that I want to try. Is it a tallow-based soap or a vegetable based soap? Does anyone know a good source?
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

BullGoose wrote:Does anyone know a good source?
Boots is one of the major UK drugstore chains. I don't suppose they feel a need to market it anywhere but in their own stores.
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

notthesharpest wrote:
BullGoose wrote:Does anyone know a good source?
Boots is one of the major UK drugstore chains. I don't suppose they feel a need to market it anywhere but in their own stores.
I knew Boots was a drugstore but I just figured other people carried the brand as well. This would explain why I have not found it anywhere. :oops:
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I have seen some of the things produced by Boots's parent company being sold elsewhere - just haven't seen the Boots store brand anywhere.

I could very easily be wrong - I don't travel much, and I don't need to hunt for shaving stuff very much anymore. (Cupboard already overflowing). :oops:
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Boots soap is on my list of desired acquisitions next time we are over the pond.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I just noticed that Boots shaving soap is in stock at Shoebox.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jhclare

Post by jhclare »

I'm going to go out on a limb here by saying that performance-wise, I find it as good as any of the English soaps.

I actually find it better than D.R. Harris!

The scent is the only thing - sort of spicy/woody which some may find a bit too much like BO after a curry :shock:

The little plastic tubs are great too, you can use them for other refill pucks, and the lids lock so are great for travel.

John
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

I'll be in Cambridge for an evening next week...I've got to see if I can find a Boots if I have the time.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

jhclare wrote:...
The scent is the only thing - sort of spicy/woody which some may find a bit too much like BO after a curry :shock:
Well -- I have never seen nor smelled Boots soap, but I must say that your description of the scent gives one quite the olfactory image. :wink:

Might be just enough to keep me from trying it (I dislike curry with a passion).
Wendell

Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

jww wrote:
Might be just enough to keep me from trying it (I dislike curry with a passion).
...maybe you just haven't met the right curry...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:
jww wrote:
...maybe you just haven't met the right curry...
I don't think so. It lights me on fire no matter whether sweet, hot, or otherwise. Can't even get it past my nose. When we visit our family in England - I have to eat my fish, chips and mushy peas in a separate room when everyone else is having curry. :evil:

So - as a result, I am never likely to try the Boots soap if it evokes a similar scent.
Wendell