menthol cream/hot scuttle

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
gil3591

menthol cream/hot scuttle

Post by gil3591 »

i usually lather my creams in a warm dirty bird scuttle. i was wondering if i am lessening the effect of menthol (proraso) by using it this way. would it be better to lather in a room temperature scuttle? makes sense since the point of menthol is to give a cooling sensation. just wondering. maybe put cold water in the scuttle?
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
prism

Post by prism »

Gil, you won't lessen the cooling effect with warm water. For me, the menthol does'nt really kick in until I re-lather for the second pass. When you're done shaving, I do recommend a cold water rinse for the full effect. Of course, if you want to go all-out, a small bowl of ice water followed by a mentholated aftershave(preferably alcohol-based) really seals the deal!
Make Mine Menthol! Vic
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Gil,

I did Proraso Green in my DB regular scuttle this morning and it was great. Like the previous post, for me the menthol kicks in on the 2nd pass and really feels good during the cool rinse. I have also used the Proraso Green with the DB shave bowl with the same results.

While certainly not a scientific study, I can tell no difference between the warm scuttle and the shave bowl.

Ed
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The cooling works great with hot water, since it isn't "real" cooling just the sensation.

If you want the maximum effect, do a cold rinse at the very end. (In fact, Shaving Regulation 3.19 states that you must cry out "Whoo! Ha!" after doing so.)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am quite the fan of Proraso and my Moss Scuttle in the warmer weather and particularly in the winter-time after recreational activities. I discovered this warm/cooling thing after downhill skiing a couple of days shortly after the Christmas when my wife kindly supplied me with one as a gift. It was analogous to eating a sweet and salty granola bar - no I don't eat Proraso, so don't even think of gong there! :wink:

I really like it alot. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Try keeping you favorite menthol after shave splash in the fridge for a nice double whammy!
Good shaving,

Gary
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Fingers crossed that there's no talk of a "Men of Menthol" sub group starting here.
:roll:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
prism

Post by prism »

You're too late TOny, we're already here!! :P
Make Mine Menthol! Vic
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Membership in a group like that would drive you completely menthol.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Lemme see now, we have the Fatties, the Mentholaters, what next??? The Tumperers? The image that suggests is too funny for anyone used to "trumping" as kids in the 60s in Jolly Ole' England. ..... :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

That Italian toothpaste. It is good I guess, just does not feel the same like a good soap. You Wendell dissapointed me in this thread lol.
Jarmo