Cyril R. Salter - French Vetiver

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Blue As A Jewel

Cyril R. Salter - French Vetiver

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

...Really?? Bacon and smoke!?!

I'm not sure I could stomach this first thing in the morning! However, my 9-year old (referred to as "El Canivore" by his non-red meat eating 13 -year old brother) absolutely digs it!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
glassmtn

Post by glassmtn »

To me it smells like freshly dug earth with a bit of last night's campfire thown in for good measure. It is a strangely addictive scent.

eric.
Last edited by glassmtn on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ghart

Post by ghart »

glassmtn wrote:To me it smells like freshly dug earth with a bit of last nights campfire. It is a strangely addictive scent.

eric.
It's the real thing! I don't know how "mature" your sample is, but it is one cream that mellows with age. My tub is now ~4 years old, and when it was new it was so strong that I wondered whether I would be able to tolerate it! I kept it in double plastic bags in my cupboard so that the smell would not overpower the whole area. After a year or two it had become much quieter, and it's now a delightful background earthy aroma. I like combining it with lavender, either DR Salter soap or Castle Forbes cream. It also works well when combined with Mitchell's Wool Fat.

George
Blue As A Jewel

ghart wrote:
glassmtn wrote:To me it smells like freshly dug earth with a bit of last nights campfire. It is a strangely addictive scent.

eric.
It's the real thing! I don't know how "mature" your sample is, but it is one cream that mellows with age. My tub is now ~4 years old, and when it was new it was so strong that I wondered whether I would be able to tolerate it! I kept it in double plastic bags in my cupboard so that the smell would not overpower the whole area. After a year or two it had become much quieter, and it's now a delightful background earthy aroma. I like combining it with lavender, either DR Salter soap or Castle Forbes cream. It also works well when combined with Mitchell's Wool Fat.

George
The pot is brand new - so pretty intense smelling to my nose - I agree there's a certain earthiness to it - like a damp campfire is a good description. I like your idea of combining it with some MWF, as this might tone it down a touch under it "matures" in my cellar!

...Good thing I like Salter creams
- Ravi -

prism

Post by prism »

Ravi, good to see you posting again! It's been a long time! :D
Make Mine Menthol! Vic
Blue As A Jewel

prism wrote:Ravi, good to see you posting again! It's been a long time! :D
Thanks man!
- Ravi -

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I tried it, once.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Haven't had the pleasure yet. For something as unique as this sounds, I can't recall ever seeing anyone wanting to get rid of a pot here on the Selling/Trading forums. Confession, I didn't search, but my point is that those who have it apparently keep it and use it. Speaking of earthiness, this makes me curious as to how it would compare to CF Cedarwood/Sandalwood, which I do enjoy very much.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Blue As A Jewel

Gary - I'd be happy to trade samples with you if you wish - just pm me...
- Ravi -

Velomane

Post by Velomane »

Hi Ravi,

I don't suppose you sourced this locally, did you?

Crestview Mike
Blue As A Jewel

Velomane wrote:Hi Ravi,

I don't suppose you sourced this locally, did you?

Crestview Mike
No Mike, I had an order in with Fendrihan - I shall use it tomorrow for my late afternoon shave... you know ease into it!
- Ravi -

Velomane

Post by Velomane »

Thanks Ravi, I thought you'd say that. I guess it's off to Fendrihan for some more goodies.

Mike
Blue As A Jewel

Velomane wrote:Thanks Ravi, I thought you'd say that. I guess it's off to Fendrihan for some more goodies.

Mike
...I'm jealous (and I JUST got my stuff!!)
- Ravi -

StoneCottageSoapworks
Vendor

Post by StoneCottageSoapworks »

Folks,

I have a tub of this that is older than God's older sister... all kidding aside, I could just not get into this scent without it being mixed with something else! Vetiver alone is just not for me!

David
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Definitely bacon. :lol:
Blue As A Jewel

Ok - Decided to man up and try this bacon scented wonder this morning. Surprising, once lathered onto my brush the intensity of the scent subsided significantly... down to a woody, earthiness with the loss of the bacony-ness that I was finding odd and counter to my morning pre-breakfast senses.

While, I'm not wild about the scent, I'm also not offended by it - and most importantly I received a great shave. It shall stay.
- Ravi -

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Richard
Blue As A Jewel

rustyblade wrote:Image
I'll have the neighbourhood dogs chasing me for sure!
- Ravi -

brothers

Post by brothers »

Ravi, I have used my sample of Salter's Vetiver. It seems to provide a very nice shave, considering all of the popular qualities that we want in our shaving creams. I find the fragrance to be mysterious.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Blue As A Jewel

brothers wrote:Ravi, I have used my sample of Salter's Vetiver. It seems to provide a very nice shave, considering all of the popular qualities that we want in our shaving creams. I find the fragrance to be mysterious.
So, I take that to mean you're still at odds with the notion of that bacony goodness first thing? Again, I've said this before, the Salter creams deliver a solid shave!

PS - it's interesting that Salter also produces a Mint scent which smells like mint chocolate ice-cream - talk about diametric opposites!
- Ravi -