How long does one puck of shave soap last?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jbc

How long does one puck of shave soap last?

Post by jbc »

I have had mine for probably four years it seems like.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Have you been using just that one, and shaving every day? If so, it must be some kind of record! :)

Some people (like me) have a tough time figuring out how long soap lasts because of not using the same one every day until it's gone. But I've heard something like six months to a year.
druphus

Post by druphus »

That's how it goes if you have a puck in rotation with other soaps and creams! :)

Guys who only use one soap will have to weigh in on how long it lasts, but from what I've heard on the forum in the past, a puck of triple milled hard soap used everyday should last between 9 months and a year!
Regards,
Andy
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

The replies so far have focused on triple milled pucks, which last a very long time. Shaving both my head and face, I'd estimate 9 months for a puck of MWF.

What hasn't been addressed is softer soaps. Most glycerin pucks, such as the Van Der Hagen varieties found in most US discount and grocery stores only last about two months for me. The Italian soft soaps (Cella, Valobra, P.160) I'd estimate being somewhere around 4 or 5 months for the equivalent of a puck worth of soap.

All these are what I get. Factor like the brush, your water, your lathering technique, etc. can change how long a puck lasts.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Is your soap from the U K ? People forget the fairie folk, or more properly 'the good nieghbors' also inhabit England. My bit of California has a large expat brit community of both realms. At night you can hear them riding coyotes and owls.The good nieghbors that is, the people have older jaguars.
I should tie this in with the post. I use Mitchell's Wool Fat. My first puck was gifted to a homeless man after little use by me.He would be called a Tinker in the UK. A forum member, influenced by the Good Nieghbors gifted me a new puck. That puck seems destined to last several years, which in fairie time seems a single night of entertainment. It has finally displayed warning signs of vanishing. I put a bowl of cream and laphroiag out for my nieghbors. And today my lotto ticket cashed in for $57! I have enough to place a new order with Bullgoose soon.
So, between triple milling, good online friends and ancient spirits a soap dish may be a mythical cornucopia of never ending lather.
And, if you think my lather mere blather ponder this documented story.
A man left a night of partying still intoxicated the next morning. He saw a group of 'gnomes' dancing about on the golf course. He staggered forward, thinking it the drink only they became even more real as he approached. Somebody shouted a angry "CUT!"
They were filming a scene from NARNIA. :lol:
Last edited by KAV on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Post by Lord Ponsenberry Smyth »

ChemErik wrote:The Italian soft soaps (Cella, Valobra, P.160) I'd estimate being somewhere around 4 or 5 months for the equivalent of a puck worth of soap.
All these are what I get. Factor like the brush, your water, your lathering technique, etc. can change how long a puck lasts.

I not only agree but I concur as well.

These days I only use the big three soft Italian soaps and as you suggest, I find they last for around four months on average.

My English soaps last much longer.....
probably due to the fact that I don't use them.
David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )
Advocate for the use of French and Italian soaps.
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

About six months for me if used once daily.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Lemme see -- how long does one puck of soap last? As long as it lasts?? :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
paddy

Post by paddy »

The replies so far have focused on triple milled pucks, which last a very long time. Shaving both my head and face, I'd estimate 9 months for a puck of MWF.
me too.

i remember sombody on here tried to tell me that he only ever got 3 months use or around 90 shaves out of one puck of MWF and i was like wtf? no way. that puppy is gonna give you twice that, and then some.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

my trumpers rose is now at least three years old and it is all i use. personally i think it matters what brush you use. When i used only tobs it would last 9 -12 months and that was with a pretty stiff brush...an old floris,

Soft brush = longer lasting soap

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

It will also depend on the brush used. I think that if, I mean if I was using a boar brush it would need more soap.

Another factor would be that if, again if I lathered the brush in a separate bowl instead my face, maybe a bit less would be used.

I used to be a sole Tabac Original user a long time and my estimate from the puck usage has been about 7 months lately. Mitchells Wool Fat that is my other mainstay soap I would give 9 months because it is a bit harder soap. Both pucks are 125g (or 4.4oz for you still in yankee weight measurement units).

Jarmo
Jarmo
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Another deciding factor would be how much you load up your brush with soap before you lather, and whether you double-dip between passes - which I have been known to do once in a while - just to get a more luxurious lather. I'm a sucker for ultra-luxurious and copious lather. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Wendell, I came to think aqain how many times I wet shave in a week, it is maybe 4 times, since some times I am lazy and in a hurry and use electric.

So my estimates should be reduced by much if I wet shaved every day :wink:
Jarmo
paddy

Post by paddy »

actually it was desert badger. apparently goes through a puck of MWF in 45 days!!

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... ht=#426418
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Shaving with it daily ( three passes ) a cake of Trumpers hard soap lasts me 5-6 months.
Regards,
Gordon
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

My experience with MWF and other hard soaps is about 5-6 months as well. I'm a heavy user, though - full face and head shaves daily, returning to the puck after each pass.

Regards,
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”
drumana

Post by drumana »

I think around 6 - 8 months per puck (triple milled) would be a fair estimate, given you use it roughly every day for 2 or 3 pass shaves... A little less for the soft soaps, of course... I've never really kept track.
-Andrew-
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i started a fresh puck of MWF the first of the year.. i shave 3 passes daily
in a month a may use trumpers 4 or 5 times so i use my mwf on average 6 days a week

i just checked the dish and its about half way used

i may get a year or close to it..and i admit i overload my brush each time

marc
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

jww wrote:...I'm a sucker for ultra-luxurious and copious lather. :D
I agree. I want lather like the Happy Arko Guy's before I start shaving.

--Glenn
cymric

Post by cymric »

Usage of soap is strongly dependent on how one likes the lather, and how large one's brush is. I estimate that my current puck of Tabac, 125 grams when I started out with it, has some 90-odd shaves in it (using a very modest Rooney 3/1 st brush), with a shave weighing in at 3 passes, but making for about 4 usually. I don't shave with a layer as thin as displayed in this message (German forum, so don't despair if you don't understand what they're talking about): that's not lather, that's fluff.

On a more general note, then. I find economising on soap or cream misplaced, to be honest: compared to what you would spend on pressurised cans and stuff you're still economising like crazy. (Unless you want to convince me that you can get, say, 100 3 pass-shaves out of a can of gel.) I also think the tendency to use less and less the more expensive the product becomes (usually indicated by exclamations like 'I only need to swirl for three or four times to create enough lather for double the amount of passes!') is not a healthy one. If price holds you back, then you shouldn't have purchased the product in the first place.