Castle Forbes Lavender Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
JackieMartling

Castle Forbes Lavender Cream

Post by JackieMartling »

Those of you who have seen my previous posts on this cream know how fond I am of it. You may also know that I've said it is extremely thick and difficult to lather, much more so than the lime. I had wondered if I had a dehydrated pot. Well, I got in a new tub of it, which to date is only the second tub I've ordered. Turns out, yes, my previous tub was dehydrated, no question. This new tub is much softer, about on a par with the lime. Both my old lavender tub and my lime tub delivered some of the best lathers I've ever had with creams, but the lime was considerably easier to work up. Thus, I suspect this new tub wil deliver excellent results without as much work. I'll post again once I've had a chance to use it, which will be with my next shave. By the way, the label is different on this tub. Both my old lavender and lime tubs have a silver metal-tone label with either purple or green lettering; this label is black with purple lettering. It seems evident this is from a later batch than my previous tub.

Nathan
threeputt

Post by threeputt »

I have a pot of Lavender under the Christmas tree and a pot of Lime that should be arriving tomorrow, also going under the tree. I'll have a look at the labels. Man I can't wait, I love these creams.......Jeff
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Well, I just used the lavender. (Who can wait until morning?) The good news is, yes, it is much softer than my old lavender, which I already knew. The bad news is, no, it's not all that much easier to lather...well, maybe just a little. Still, it's great stuff. Can't beat the smell.

Nathan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

note to my daughter emily: please, please have gotten me the CF lavendar, or at least limes

love, your SCAD<SBAD and otherwise obsessive-compulsive Dad

sam
Lotus Driver

Post by Lotus Driver »

Nathan,

I've had exactly the same experience with the CF creams. The Lime is soft and produces wonderful lather. The Lavender is hard and produces very little. Yesterday, it didn't supply enough for 2 passes. This is in distinct to my DR Harris Lavender, which is great in every way.

Maybe it's our Twin Cities water?

Ed
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Ed, let me clarify: when I say it is hard to lather, I don't mean it does not produce lather. Quite the contrary, it produces a lot of lather. I was referring to the labor involved in getting the lather, which is intensive. The dollop of cream remains solid for a long time, requiring a lot of work to get it to fully liquify. This seems to be the case even though it isn't dehydrated. Once it is fully lathered, though, it is amazing stuff. I'm just not keen on all the work.

Nathan
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

I am a CF cream fan, Lime and Lavender. I have noticed that the lavender is very firm compared to the lime. When lathering the lime I take a small lump out of the tub and lather, when I use the lavender I place a little hot water in the tub on top of the cream and then swirl the brush into the tub - sort of like a hard soap.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i had no problems whatsoever with the lime sample johnp sent me. sometimes, i just take my finger and swirl it in a tub of cream, to mix it all up in case it ever starts to appear dry, or when i had salter, runny. may even distribute the scent evenly for all i know.

sam
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i had no problems whatsoever with the lime sample johnp sent me. sometimes, i just take my finger and swirl it in a tub of cream, to mix it all up in case it ever starts to appear dry, or when i had salter, runny. may even distribute the scent evenly for all i know.

sam
dcdube

Post by dcdube »

Nathan or Cliff, what's the scent of the CF lavender like? I have a T&H lavender that I like, but the scent is almost too subtle. How does the CF compare?

Thanks.
Dennis
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Dennis, CF is scented only with lavender essential oil, and is very different from the T&H. If memory serves, the T&H is like a slightly more refined, less intense version of Taylors lavender. The only other lavender cream on the market that is EO based is Art of Shaving, which is in the ballpark with CF, but AOS lavender is like sitting in the bleachers, whereas CF is a box seat. The CF is very rich smelling, like you're waving lavender flowers under your nose in July, albeit not as pungently camphoric. However, it is not overtly strong, the way some "perfumed" creams are. The essential oil gives it a wonderfully natural smell that is at once noticeably present, yet nuanced. You really have to use it to get the full effect; simply smelling it in the tub won't do. If you want an idea of the smell, go to a place that sells lavender EO and wave the tester under your nose. The waving portion is very important, as a direct whiff of this stuff will be too strong in comparison to what the CF smells like.

Nathan
threeputt

Post by threeputt »

Nathan, I eyeballed both of my CF tubs, the lime and lavender. They're both in clear plastic jars with sticker labels on the sides with black plastic lids. Not sure what this means as far as when they were made, but they were both shipped from QED within the last month.

Nathan is right about the smell of the lavender cream, it is fantastic. The lime cream reminds me of green life savers! I much prefer it to the smell of Trumpers lime. Trumpers has a soapy, cosmetic smell compared to the CF. To me, anyway. .............Jeff
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Jeff, are the labels a metallic silver, or black? My old ones were silver; this new tub has a black label - quite striking.

Nathan
threeputt

Post by threeputt »

Nathan, I'll have to look again. I'm thinking silver though. At work right now, so I'll check this evening. ............Jeff
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

yes, the lifesaver reference to CF lime is dead on. and i do prefer it to any other lime i have tried, maybe coates was #2 for me. nathan, how does the QED lavendar stick or tub compare to CF.

sam
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Sam, I don't have the QED lavender stick, so I can't say.

BTW, I agree: Coates is a nice lime, too, but I think I'd go with the CF. It's been a while since I've used the Coate's, though, so I really need to try it again.

Nathan
Troy

Post by Troy »

JackieMartling wrote:Jeff, are the labels a metallic silver, or black? My old ones were silver; this new tub has a black label - quite striking.
Nathan,

I've got a tub of CF Lavender delivered from TGS about two weeks ago. The label is metallic silver with purple text.

-Troy
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ive used coates lime and coates rose, and traded them away because i could not get them to lather well. i think at the time i had the CE brush, and maybe the kent. it is funny how things you got at one time might work better once you gain more experience. that is why i can appreciate people like gordon and dr chris who have been at it longer than i. even don c. from the other board, who had been a trumper man for 25 years, now has a collection of creams and soaps he never dreamed of, lol. now we have to convert him from that powered mach 3 machine.

CF limes is not an in-your-face scent, but that lime is really nice. right amount of tartness. i was gonna take a smidgen to the clothing man (28 years old) who works where they sell AOS and T&H and even show him the xxl shavemac (they think the large AOS brush they have is the bomb). but i cant seem to want to rid myself of that smidgen and have that much less, lol

sam
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Heh heh heh heh.
Sam, I WARNED you that CF stuff was addictive.....gave you just enough "wetshaving crack" to get you hooked. Now you have to find a "supplier" LOL I recommend QED or The Gentleman's Shop.
:lol:
John P
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Pusherman :lol: