P160 discontinued?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

notthesharpest wrote:TaMbWaFc (or WoToalb Faact?)
CPe1l6l0a
I think we need to go more conceptual here:

Saturday Night Disco Sheep......for the Tabac/MWF blend.....
and "More than a Baaaaaaaa to Me" would be the jingle for the TV ad

Cinema Amaretto.....the Cella/p160 blend......"It's Time to Shave ToNight" as the jingle (accompanied by a cello of course)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

loueedacat1 wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:TaMbWaFc (or WoToalb Faact?)
CPe1l6l0a
I think we need to go more conceptual here:

Saturday Night Disco Sheep......for the Tabac/MWF blend.....
and "More than a Baaaaaaaa to Me" would be the jingle for the TV ad

Cinema Amaretto.....the Cella/p160 blend......"It's Time to Shave ToNight" as the jingle (accompanied by a cello of course)
I believe you have convinced me to grow a beard, damn you!

Chris :wink:
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Surely there are some very fine sheep in Germany.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Cella is by far the superior shave product out of these Italian soft soaps and I like the scent dammit!
Richard
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

rustyblade wrote:Cella is by far the superior shave product out of these Italian soft soaps and I like the scent dammit!
I like Cella's scent, too, Richard.

- Murray
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

loueedacat1 wrote:(accompanied by a cello of course)
A female cello, just for accuracy... :wink:
siouxsie

Post by siouxsie »

Guys, there is some interesting info on Superlather.com on the P160 and I apologize if you guys were already aware of these developments. Unfortunately, it seems to add to the confusion:

https://www.superlather.com/ANNOUNCE.htm#IM
P160 Announcement!

My P160 supplier has recently informed me that the fall production shutdown (a regular event to allow employees to go on holiday) may very well be the last one for the P160 soap. This has not been definitively confirmed and indeed my supplier has told me that the parent company is renewing contracts with suppliers that sell the P160 which is a curious thing to do if you no longer intend to manufacture the soap. Stay tuned for further updates.
~Scott
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

I just created a p160 shaving stick - cheese grated my very hard duro, formed it in my hands and a baby bottle liner (the ones that look like condoms), and molded (again, by hand) into one of those old spice deoderant dispensors (yes I washed it first), then froze for a couple hours and then ran under hot water. Looks and smells real nice - test drive tommorrow morning.
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

p160 shaving stick was a huge success.

I used it at the gym and didn't need brush at all. The scent really explodes when you rub it over your face (which addressed my only issue with this block - the scent wasn't exploding), and it lathered EASILY with a little water and hand rubbing after being applied to face, and yieled a quick smooth painless shave.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It doesn't get much easier than that!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

I had a look at the ingredients of my P160/Fitness/Cella, all different FWIW

P160 tipo duro
Aqua, stearic acid, palmitic acid, tallow, cocos nucifera, potassium hydroxide, parfum, potassium carbonate, benzyl alcohol, tetrasodium edta

Fitness shave cream
Aqua, stearic acid, palmitic acid, cocos nucifera, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, myristic acid, peg-150 distearate, jojoba wax, parfum, benzyl alcohol, tetrasodium edta

Cella
Cocos nucifera, tallow, stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, aqua, potassium carbonate, parfum
Last edited by PeterS on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

drmoss_ca wrote:I'm a recent user of the soft Italian soaps, and, no, I'm not responsible for any shortage of P160. :lol:
The P160 Tipo Duro is wonderfully scented, with the marzipan/marchpane/lozina/massepain etc smell very strong, sweet and edible. Cella, gives as good, or better, lather, but smells like something died in the vat when it was made. Wretched scent, which I feel I should tolerate for the good lather. Question is, if I mix the two of them will I create a wonderful Frankensoap, or shall I simply ruin the both of them?

Chris
What if the child had my looks and your brains?
I've noticed a slight rancid smell in one lot of Cella I had. From the ingredients I posted is there a preservative in the P160 so it keeps longer?

cheers

Pete
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

I'm pretty much sold now on Italian soaps, the cost to performance level is awesome, almost Arko awesome.

I have used nothing but the Proraso products for almost a year in my rotation, I wish I would have branched out sooner...
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

Sodapopjones wrote:I'm pretty much sold now on Italian soaps, the cost to performance level is awesome, almost Arko awesome.

I have used nothing but the Proraso products for almost a year in my rotation, I wish I would have branched out sooner...
plenty of years to come!
paydepst
Vendor

Post by paydepst »

Greetings all! I can't believe I overlooked this thread.

I wish that I had more conclusive news to pass on to you in this post but I have found out just a bit more. It appears the Tipo Morbido is a thing of the past. The Tipo Duro is still a bit "iffy" at the moment as I can't, and neither can anyone else I've managed to contact, get confirmation on what exactly the soap's fate is.

The good news is I have more of the Tipo Duro coming and it should be available for a while as NOS even if they do quit making it.

Hope that helps a wee bit any way!
Kind regards,
Mark

Shop www.superlather.com today for Irisch Moos,Erasmic,Palmolive,Gillette,Floid,La Toja,and more!!
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Post by Lord Ponsenberry Smyth »

Gentlemen, please be upstanding and raise your glasses for a toast.

"To P.160. Cella, Valobra and Cellobra 160 !"
David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )
Advocate for the use of French and Italian soaps.

Post by loueedacat1 »

Lord Ponsenberry Smyth wrote:Gentlemen, please be upstanding and raise your glasses for a toast.

"To P.160. Cella, Valobra and Cellobra 160 !"
I like Cellobra 160! Nice ring to it.
tester

Post by tester »

Three cheers for the "Châteauneuf-du-Pape" of Italian soaps.

It's a GDS if it's no longer made. Keep your P.160 if you have it.

Long live sweet Italian tallow. As Homer would say...'Sweeeet...Italian....tallllllooooooow. .hhhmmmmmmmmmmm".
paydepst
Vendor

Post by paydepst »

Posted an update on the website regarding the latest status of the P160 as far as my supplier knows anyway. It isn't all good news but neither is it all bad.
Kind regards,
Mark

Shop www.superlather.com today for Irisch Moos,Erasmic,Palmolive,Gillette,Floid,La Toja,and more!!
Barbiere di Figaro
Vendor

Post by Barbiere di Figaro »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:Connaught still has the 1kg blocks of Tipo Duro & Morbido. On TuttoItaliaonline the P160 has been replaced with Figaro and the pics show the P160...
Hi Blue as a Jewel,

Just to add to your observation, we didn't replace anything, the P160 is from Figaro. That's the brand as I see it and they have the two variatons duro and morbido. We do have the 1 kg blocks.

Bye,

Eric
www.barbieredifigaro.nl
Subscribe to our newsletter? http://eepurl.com/bUYYb
Want to become friends with us on Facebook? http://tinyurl.com/7zhehql